Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on licence application

Options
  • 27-02-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently completing the application forms and I has a small query as to how to answer question 2.5 proof of competence.

I am a rough shooter, shooting on local farmers land. I am not in a club. I was in the FCA for a few years. What is the best way to tackle that question?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The proof of competence question relates to a first time licensee. I have had firearms for years so did not fill it in. My cousin got his first shotgun this week after doing a course, and submitting his cert with his application.

Long story short if you have been licensed on the firearm or similar firearm previously, proof of competence is not necessary. If you have not been licensed then a competency course will probably/definitely be required. Contact your local game club, range for details as most have information on courses being run or indeed run a course themselves.

Good luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Have a look at the Commissioner's Guidelines:
    The Garda Commissioner's Guidelines as to the Practical Application & Operation of Firearms Act, 1925 - 2009 - as amended 22/10/09

Page 11 states:
    Proof of competence in the use of the firearm or ammunition which is subject of the application - depending on the circumstances of each case, an individual who has already possessed a certificate (without any convictions under the Firearms Act, 1925-2009) for a period of a minimum of 1 year may be considered to have fulfilled the proof of competency.
    So, unless you've dirtied your bib somehow, and have held a Firearm Certificate for at least a year, you "may be considered to have fulfilled the proof of competency."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have been licensed for the last 3 years so I shall leave that blank.

Advertisement