Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router and UPC Broadband

Options
  • 27-02-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I am getting UPC broadband installed later this week. However, I will not be buying the router from them.

Does anyone know whether it will still work without the router, ie can I still use it by hooking a cable from my laptop to the connection point.

Also I need to buy a router - is there anything I should look out for??

I have seen that some routers have modems built in and some dont - will I need a router with a built in modem for use with UPC broadband??

Finally, if anyone can recommend me a place to buy a suitable router at a good price that would be great

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi

I am getting UPC broadband installed later this week. However, I will not be buying the router from them.

Does anyone know whether it will still work without the router, ie can I still use it by hooking a cable from my laptop to the connection point.

Yes UPC will supply a modem which you can attach your laptop to by ethernet. In some cases they are supplying one with integrated wireless but reading some of the posts on here this does not seem to be great.

Also I need to buy a router - is there anything I should look out for??

I have seen that some routers have modems built in and some dont - will I need a router with a built in modem for use with UPC broadband??

That is exactly the sort of thing you dont want to buy! The ones with integrated modem are for dsl bb only (thats the one you get over a phone line). You just need a wireless router. Netgear, Dlink and Linksys are all recommendable and the linksys wrt54gl is often recommended on here. However it might be wiser to buy an 'N' type router now (the ones with the latest wireless technology) even if your laptop hasnt got an n card it will work fine and give you some future proofing. You should be able to get a decent wireless router in IT direct in Parliament St or if you want to buy on line elara or komplett should oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

many thanks for your reply - very helpful!!

Advertisement