Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Record Rack

• 27-02-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Is it true that it's closing down? a friend of mind told me that today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I know Woody well, has been telling me that they have been barely able to keep their heads above water, CD sales are now a joke, its only a matter of time before all music shops become a thing of the past. Its been on the cards a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Ah no way! The RR is like an institution in the town! Thats terrrible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Their cd selection got smaller and smaller each year, how can independent retailers compete against the likes of Tesco or HMV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hard to compete against amazon.co.uk, etc. unfortunatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bannerbhoy

Sorry to see that go :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

In reality they probably were too small size wise to compete. They made a decision it seems to me to stop stocking anything apart from chart stuff, a small jazz section and a small metal section , basically they had no great choice available.
    I tried hard to buy stuff there until 2/3 years ago when I just gave up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I think they missed the boat when they didn't get into the games/dvd business, they were never going to be able to compete with the bigger chain/internet when that came in, I would imagine that most people download their music now. It's still a shame to see them struggle, I haven't bought anything in there in years I have to admit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I am very sad to see it go if in fact it does, but I agree that they hung on to a dying idea, that music is bought in stores now. I used to get all my posters there and it was the only place that stocked a decent variety of music while I was growing up.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That's a real pity, the Woodfords are a lovely family, it's sad to see that they'll have to close the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Aidan's wife died suddenly last night/early morning. Keep them in your prayers x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

MODS please close this thread.

Business is difficult enough for retailers without having to contend with rumours of their closure floating about the place.

This family have enough to contend with at the moment and I'm sure crap like this does not help.

RIP Mim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Claregirl wrote: »
    MODS please close this thread.

Business is difficult enough for retailers without having to contend with rumours of their closure floating about the place.

This family have enough to contend with at the moment and I'm sure crap like this does not help.

RIP Mim
    ermm what crap?? its just a discussion...bit sensitive i think.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

There's a new shop there - Irishstore.com is the name of it. I noticed it this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

I think it's theirishshop.com. It's the Woodfords repositioning with a website (not live yet) and the street shop. Good luck to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Best of luck to them and a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭MikeyGorse

Hope this goes well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lord Ennis

Here Here, Great spot over the years, deserves local support;)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Bit of a bump I know but:

I reckon if they actually sold some records (vinyl) they could hit a pretty decent niche in Clare. I don't know of any where else that does it, it could be a sort of buy and sell section and it's not like it's be of huge expense to them.

Is it still called the record rack? Haven't walked through Ennis in a few months.

Finally, my thoughts are still with the family, Aidan and Mim are actually close family friends with my Dad (Aidan is my sister's Godfather), and when I heard about it I was so shocked. Hope he's handling it okay

(end of bump :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Bit of a bump I know but:

I reckon if they actually sold some records (vinyl) they could hit a pretty decent niche in Clare. I don't know of any where else that does it, it could be a sort of buy and sell section and it's not like it's be of huge expense to them.

Is it still called the record rack? Haven't walked through Ennis in a few months.

Finally, my thoughts are still with the family, Aidan and Mim are actually close family friends with my Dad (Aidan is my sister's Godfather), and when I heard about it I was so shocked. Hope he's handling it okay

(end of bump :) )
    Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon and a number of other classics are ready for a global rerelease in Vinyl in an effort to try and boost conventional sales, out with the 1210'2 :)

A lot of Vinyl DJ's are now using scratch programmes and downloading tracks rather than purchasing records however there is a market for the purist that just wants to collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

D4RK ONION wrote: »

No, IrishStore.com. However, for the nostalgic, there is still an old Record Rack / TIcketmaster sign higher up on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

What about ticketmaster? Are they going to continue selling gig tickets, no where else in town sells them!

Advertisement