Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke City V Arsenal Match Thread. Live SS1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

paul150 wrote: »
    For people who want to see a replay of the tackle. Warning that it is horrible :(Link

Some people should get the mansize tissues out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I must have missed the post where you said you were wrong to accuse a young player of deliberatly breaking another players leg

Did I use those words?Please show me where I said that.

I called for an extra ban, which I said in the heat of the moment after seeing a very highly promising player being stretchered off and who quite possibly won't be the same player again.

Cut me some slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

3 points off the top. Big win for Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

arsenal looking united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Stoke fans have turned my stomach with their booing. And what about the 'You're f**ked and you know you are' chant when Ramsey went off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Fair play to the Arse. Good 3 points given the circumstances.

IT'S ON!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Stoke fans have turned my stomach with their booing. And what about the 'You're f**ked and you know you are' chant when Ramsey went off?

I'm all for a bit of needling chanting at opposition fans/players... but that was disgusting and absolutely sickening. The poor kid is only 19 and he was showing huge promise as a player. With any luck, it won't be a career-threatening one and he'll be back like Eduardo.

While Stoke fans disgusted me, I do feel sorry for Shawcross too; it was an honest mistake/attmempt to get the ball and he looked utterly devastated walking off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i really hope Wenger acts responsibly in his post match interview.

DazMarz wrote: »
    While Stoke fans disgusted me, I do feel sorry for Shawcross too; it was an honest mistake/attmempt to get the ball and he looked utterly devastated walking off the pitch.

Yeah completely agree there, hope he doesn't suffer too much as a result of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if that's true, which i've no doubt it is as you wouldn't have any reason to lie...Stoke should have to polay behind closed doors for a couple of games.

ridiculous chant, and has no place in society, let alone a football stadium.

• Advertisement

i really hope Wenger acts responsibly in his post match interview.

So do I, but in the heat of the moment,who knows, you do know that passions run high in football?

Also watch when he's been put into the ambulance. Two lads at the top of the screen giving him the fingers and shouting abuse at him. Charming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SantryRed wrote: »
    Were they not booing the red card?

There ya go. They're a total disgrace, and if the Arsenal fans did anything like that I'd say the same.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    So do I, but in the heat of the moment,who knows, you do know that passions run high in football?
    Don't see Arsenal fans using that as an excuse for a tiny minority of stoke fans. The vast vast majority of stoke fans gave him a standing ovation being brought off.

Don't see Arsenal fans using that as an excuse for a tiny minority of stoke fans. The vast vast majority of stoke fans gave him a standing ovation being brought off.

An excuse for what? "They're in shock that someone got his leg broke, so who can blame them for disgusting chants."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

No matter which teams were involved there would be the usual few "fans" acting like pure scum, so it's unfair to tarnish the stoke fans.

In fact their not acting like scum, they are scum.

And I would agree with you to an extent personally I would never behave like that at a game no matter how pumped up I was at a game.

Don't see why you were having a go at me about Shawcross, as I said it was said in the heat of the moment, I even deleted the call for an extra ban before it was pointed out to me.

as in passion runs high in football and i'm sure the stoke fans weren't aware of the severity of the injury.

as in passion runs high in football and i'm sure the stoke fans weren't aware of the severity of the injury.

"You're ****ed and you know you are."? OK.

Those scumbag Stoke fans. How dare they support their club so vociferously?
    The very cheek of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

amacachi wrote: »
    There ya go. They're a total disgrace, and if the Arsenal fans did anything like that I'd say the same.

The vast majority were applauding him as he went off - that was what was audible. Every team has a few assholes in the crowd but they were drowed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Glen whelan has to be commended for the way he acted during the incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Unpleasant chant but one of the few grounds with any atmosphere left. Certainly more than the top 3 grounds. Football fans are obnoxious in the heat of the moment.

wengers comments were not on. i hope the card is rescinded and there is action taken against cesc and arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

The very cheek of them.

What some of them were doing though was not supporting their club.... more like shaming it.

Don't understand how people can say it wasn't a penalty. Handball doesn't need to be intentional to give a penalty, anymore than a tackle where the player doesn't get the ball. He had his arms out and the ball was going in a promising direction which his arm put a stop do. Definite penalty, intentional or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

From BBC Sport
    More from Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: "I am not very happy with the tackle. We know what to expect from other teams but we have now lost three players in five years to horrendous tackles. I refuse to believe it's coincidence when you're hit as many times as we are. We know teams want to be physical against Arsenal - this is the result. When you see how Aaron got injured today in the way that he did, it is not acceptable. I don't accept that. We could see the team was shocked, but we go until the end because we are strong mentally and united. We will do it for Ramsey as well because he deserves it. From a mathematical side of the game it was a good day for us. But we cannot really enjoy it."

I've only seen it in the link posted few pages back but it didn't look really malicious or deliberate. Did I see it wrong or is Wenger just being wenger again

wengers comments were not on. i hope the card is rescinded and there is action taken against cesc and arsene.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or joking?

Mad_Max wrote: »
    From BBC Sport

I've only seen it in the link posted few pages back but it didn't look really malicious or deliberate. Did I see it wrong or is Wenger just being wenger again

Why do opposition fans always come out with this when there own managers would react in the exact same way.

• Advertisement

Don't understand how people can say it wasn't a penalty. Handball doesn't need to be intentional to give a penalty, anymore than a tackle where the player doesn't get the ball. He had his arms out and the ball was going in a promising direction which is arm put a stop do. Definite penalty, intentional or not.

Found this bizarre too. I've loads of respect for Andy Gray's take on football however this was a strange one for him to disagree with.

100% serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

From BBC Sport

I don't see what's so wrong with what he said. He said he's not happy with the tackle, he didn't say anything about it being intentional/malicious etc. He then said he doesn't think it's a coincidence that a lot of teams set out to play physical against Arsenal, and the fact they've suffered 3 very bad injuries in the past 5 years as a result of tackles in games. He's entitled to that opinion.

He was transferred directly from the pitch into an ambulance on an oxygen supply. Doesn't take a doctor to work out it's quite severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The very cheek of them.

there surely has to be a line.

the same when 'Pool fans chanted at Alan Smith.

the same is the case here.

a shred of human decency has to remain. the players are human beings. when they break a leg it's f*cking serious and no laughing matter.

i'm all for passion, but passion does not naturally spill into yobbism (ha, check that out for a word!).

100% serious.

For complaining that Stoke are overly physical? How can you punish someone for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

100% serious.

100% ARSE.

SlickRic wrote: »

a shred of human decency has to remain. the players are human beings. when they break a leg it's f*cking serious and no laughing matter.

i'm all for passion, but passion does not naturally spill into yobbism (ha, check that out for a word!).

Spot on, very well said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

100% serious.

Where's the thumbs down button?

No player sets out to break another pros leg so Wenger got it wrong in that interview yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why do opposition fans always come out with this when there own managers would react in the exact same way.
    Still does not make it acceptable. It is silly and I'll condemn my own manager for the same thing. Wenger is the king of it. He is the most sour loser of them all. His selective vision and memory is laughable. Managers need to learn to suck it up instead of playing the blame game.

That "no coincidence" comment is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No player sets out to break another pros leg so Wenger got it wrong in that interview yet again

Roy Keane apart obviously.

From BBC Sport

Wenger needs to pull his horns in. It was an accident. A 1 in 100 thousand thing. Arguably, Fabregas's challenge on Whelan near the end was worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So do other teams managers to get stuck into Arsenal in their team talks :confused:

disgraceful if true.

Arguably, Fabregas's challenge on Whelan near the end was worse.

Clearly not but you're entitled to your opinion.

magma69 wrote: »
    Still does not make it acceptable. It is silly and I'll condemn my own manager for the same thing. Wenger is the king of it. He is the most sour loser of them all. His selective vision and memory is laughable. Managers need to learn to suck it up instead of playing the blame game.

That "no coincidence" comment is ridiculous.

I never see people doing it though.

I think people are taken in by the media reaction to Wenger.

Always seems to me when other managers come out and stay stuff it is ignored or it is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

They may not set out to break legs but some do set out to be over physical and broken legs ect can be a result of this. It's no conincedence that its Arsenal that have had 2 players in the last 3 years end up with broken legs.

rarnes1 wrote: »

He said they were overly physical and hence, dangerous - he never said anything about intent.

SlickRic wrote: »

No doubt. But Stoke fans had just seen their player sent off for what looked an innocuous challenge. I'm sure they didn't know how bad it was.

Clearly not but you're entitled to your opinion.
    I knew I should have tagged 'in intent' onto the end of that.

Watch it again and tell me there wasn't spite in Fabregas's challenge.

No doubt. But Stoke fans had just seen their player sent off for what looked an innocuous challenge. I'm sure they didn't know how bad it was.

Have to say I disagree and having being in that situation at matches many times, I always appluad the player off when I see a stretcher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement