Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke City V Arsenal Match Thread. Live SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Poor Ramsey. :( Hope he makes a full recovery,he is one of the brightest talents in the league. Such an unfortunate injury, there is no way Shawcross is that type of player you could see how upset he was. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

*facepalm*

Maybe then if you actually read what he wrote instead of ignoring his points because his awfully rude tone offends you, you'd realise he'd debunked all the rubbish you just posted. Nobody 'likes it up em'. Show me a team who'd appreciate getting three legs broken in less than four years.

Take a dose of your own medicine and read the past sentence of my post.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

jasonorr wrote: »
    That's true but, I've watched it a few times but I don't think it it could have happened otherwise and I don't think Shawcross would have been so upset either!

I have it here and I've watched it plenty of times, I don't think it could have happened before he hit him!

I'm not saying that Shawcross didn't do damage, i'm sure he did. But it certainly looked like something had happened to Ramsey before the tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

greendom wrote: »
    He saw a team-mate's leg hanging off. How was his reaction disgraceful ?

Perfectly normal and human imo.
    He's a disgrace because he overreacted a few seconds after seeing a 19 year olds leg hanging off???

EDIT: Beat me to it Greendom!

His primary concern was not his teammate, it was Shawcross.

A player of his experience and standing in the game should have reacted better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Campbell was an absolute disgrace imo.

As a centre half himself he should know that tough tackles can have consequences that are accidental as in this case.

Ah have a bit of cop Xavi, if my mate had his leg broken in front of me I'd lose the head too. It's distressing enough to see that **** on the TV, but to be standing right next to it?
    That's far too harsh, absolutely nothing wrong with that tackle yesterday. Have you watched a video of the Jeffers injury? The fact that it's his first red hard speaks volumes!

There was something very wrong with that tackle. Shawcross lost possession of the ball, he lunges in the direction of the opposition player at ridiculous pace. He was stretching, he was not in control (even had Ramsey not nicked the ball Shawcross' foot was never making contact with it) and he channels all his momentum into Ramsey's leg as a result. It is careless, it is reckless and it has left Ramsey's leg dangling like a pendulum.

Shawcross simply wasn't in control of himself when he made that tackle, he wasn't able to aim properly for the ball, he wasn't able to prevent the follow through going through Ramsey, that's why it was dangerous.

adox wrote: »
    I dont think thats fair. Theres only so many players that can fit around an injured player to comfort him. Also different players would react differently to such a horrific injury, just like anybody would. Some would be straight over to offer comfort and support whereas others would shy away and cover their eyes in horror or whatever.

I was referring to be being there as a leader to the younger players on the pitch. He was still walking around screaming at the ref minutes after Shawcross had been sent off, what the hell else did he want to happen? That's when you want your older players to be there for the team.

His primary concern was not his teammate, it was Shawcross.

A player of his experience and standing in the game should have reacted better.

Oh, so Campbell has experience of seeing players legs snap in two every week?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Take a dose of your own medicine and read the past sentence of my post.;)
    Go on then, prove it.

Then prove that the rest of the PL participants don't mind have their legs broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

has wenger apologised to shawcross yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Was it a dangerous tackle ... Yes .

But I would catagorise Shawcross tackle under " Clumsly". V . Taylor ( Birmingham ) under " Viscious"

The side debate going on at the moment about the Arsenal always getting " roughed up " is a load of tosh in my mind.If this incident had not happened there would never had been a mention , it was not one of those games.
    It was a game of soccer were hard physical contact is part of the game , how this contact is applied is part of a players skill , you do it incorrectly ( clumsly) or intententional ( deliberate dangerous play) are not to be discriminated by the Ref .Its a straight red for both.This was applied and Shawcross got sent off.
    Every player that puts on a soccer jersey knows the risks.

End of , no need for the side show ... Hopefully Ramsey makes a full recovery .

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mr Alan wrote: »

No, don't expect him to either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah have a bit of cop Xavi, if my mate had his leg broken in front of me I'd lose the head too. It's distressing enough to see that **** on the TV, but to be standing right next to it?

If your mate had his leg broken in front of you I would hope your first concern is to go over to him and deal with anything else later.

Campbell followed Shawcross to have a go before even checking on his 'mate'.
    Oh, so Campbell has experience of seeing players legs snap in two every week?

He has the experience of seeing inocuous challenges on a weekly basis.

If a bunch of armchair supporters could see it was an accident then surely a player of almost 20 years Premier League experience should be able to as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For what? What did he say about Shawcross that would warrant an apology?

What is he to apologise for, Al?

(I'm not being confrontational here; I genuinely haven't heard what he's said about Shawcross... at least not everything anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

For saying it was a horrendous tackle??? No! I don't think the tackle was that bad but, I don't think he has anything to apologise for!

• Advertisement

that it was a very bad tackle, and it was unacceptable, that it crossed a line, and that it was not co-incidental that they've suffered another leg break,ie, that it was an intentional tactic from stoke/shawcross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What are you on about Al, apologise for what?

For what? What did he say about Shawcross that would warrant an apology?
    What is he to apologise for, Al?

(I'm not being confrontational here; I genuinely haven't heard what he's said about Shawcross... at least not everything anyway)

He was calling on the FA to ban him for more than three games and insinuating that Shawcross did it on purpose.

Frisbee wrote: »
    insinuating that Shawcross did it on purpose.

If you're referring to the coincidence comment then you've read that all wrong. Didn't hear anything about a longer ban.

If you're referring to the coincidence comment then you've read that all wrong. Didn't hear anything about a longer ban.

Nope, not referring to the coincidence comments.

I'm flying out the door atm but I'll post up what I read later.

• Advertisement

that it was a very bad tackle, and it was unacceptable, that it crossed a line, and that it was not co-incidental that they've suffered another leg break,ie, that it was an intentional tactic from stoke/shawcross

I don't think that's what he was implying, more the fact that teams set out of be physically imposing against Arsenal and this is the result.

Wrong. He did not refer to that tackle in particular as not co-incidental in causing the injury. He was referring to the physical approach that teams take to Arsenal.

If you play 'physical' against a team, sooner or later you're going to cause a serious injury, accidental or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

He's meant to have said that he didn't want to read in the paper about Shawcross being a nice guy and not being that type of player to intentionally cause harm.
    He's being rough on the lad imo, can understand he's pi**ed at another player breaking a leg but he should know better than that!!!

Yup, think the coincidence comment is being misinterpreted. He isn't saying these tackles were malicious, but the attitude teams have towards Arsenal is irresponsible, makes injuries more likely and lo and behold, Arsenal have a 3rd player with his leg broken in less than 4 years.

Degag_ wrote: »
    I'm not saying that Shawcross didn't do damage, i'm sure he did. But it certainly looked like something had happened to Ramsey before the tackle.

As I said in my edit, I've watched it slowed down. Ramsey gets to the ball with his leg planted and Shawcross breaks it, simple!

the game wasn't overly physical yesterday at all. it was certainly wat he was implying imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Any word on Ramsay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

They played it in slow motion last night. It looked like a split second before Shawcross hit him, his leg buckled.

Do you have any knowledge of football injuries?

I doubt it because you would know that you don't have to be hit by a terrible tackle to get seriously injured. An example from just this past week is Anderson who tore his ligaments and will be out for the season and miss the World Cup. There wasn't a player within 5 feet from him when he got the injury.

:D LOL Did you see it at all...???? :D
    I think its more than tore ligaments, but sure I know nothing about football injuries apparently :D

the game wasn't overly physical yesterday at all. it was certainly wat he was implying imo.

He was implying that we get these injuries because teams get stuck in to break up our play, yesterday was an accident. Eduardo and Diaby's injuries were because of that very reason!

Statement re: Ramsey

“During yesterday’s match against Stoke City, Aaron Ramsey sustained fractures to the tibia and fibula in his right leg. Yesterday evening he underwent surgery.

"The operation successfully reduced the fractures and whilst it is too soon to state an exact timescale for recovery, Aaron will certainly miss the remainder of this season. Our thoughts are with Aaron at this time and everyone at the Club wishes him all the best in making as speedy a return to action as possible.”

• Advertisement

If your mate had his leg broken in front of you I would hope your first concern is to go over to him and deal with anything else later.

Sometimes the sight of it is so distressing we simply can't dictate how we react. I know I'm more sensitive to the sight of blood than most people and I would find it very hard to keep hold of myself and act rationally.

Secondly, Whelan and Bendtner were already with Ramsey, the physio was already running on by the time Campbell made it up. There simply was no need for him to go near Ramsey, you don't want a crowd forming around him either. So he turns on the ref to vent his frustration and anger at the sight. It's not right, but you can at least show a bit of empathy Xavi, it's not everyday that players have to see such distressing images on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

CHD wrote: »
    Any word on Ramsay?

Nothing much yet really. Was watching SSN about 20 mins ago and they said that he'll be moved to a hospital closer to home later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The tackle was horrendous. It is unacceptable," Wenger said.
    "And please spare me the article tomorrow that says Shawcross is not like that - I heard the same when Eduardo was badly injured.

Blood "Players are professionals and have to respect each other. Those who don't have to be punished.

"It's a bad fracture and he may need emergency surgery. But he will be out for a long time."

Stoke boss Tony Pulis defended Shawcross and reacted angrily to Wenger's comments.

Pulis said: "He can't comment on my players - he doesn't know what they are made of.

"It was a bad challenge because of the way Ryan caught him. But I know him. I signed him at 19 and he hasn't got any bad blood in his body.

This what he said

As I said in my edit, I've watched it slowed down. Ramsey gets to the ball with his leg planted and Shawcross breaks it, simple!

Yes, and as i said, it looks like there was some damage done prior to the tackle also, simple!

Statement re: Ramsey

“During yesterday’s match against Stoke City, Aaron Ramsey sustained fractures to the tibia and fibula in his right leg. Yesterday evening he underwent surgery.

"The operation successfully reduced the fractures and whilst it is too soon to state an exact timescale for recovery, Aaron will certainly miss the remainder of this season. Our thoughts are with Aaron at this time and everyone at the Club wishes him all the best in making as speedy a return to action as possible.”

Can only hope the fact that he is 19 means he will make better and swifter recovery than someone a few years older.

"And please spare me the article tomorrow that says Shawcross is not like that - I heard the same when Eduardo was badly injured.

Blood "Players are professionals and have to respect each other. Those who don't have to be punished.

"It's a bad fracture and he may need emergency surgery. But he will be out for a long time."

Stoke boss Tony Pulis defended Shawcross and reacted angrily to Wenger's comments.

Pulis said: "He can't comment on my players - he doesn't know what they are made of.

"It was a bad challenge because of the way Ryan caught him. But I know him. I signed him at 19 and he hasn't got any bad blood in his body.

This what he said

Nothing wrong with that, he's angry. It might be a bit harsh but, you'll be waiting a long time for an apology on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Quote of the day: “I would like to say that it was a committed game. I didn’t see many bad tackles in the game. But this one was horrendous and I am very sad. I am proud of my team today and sad as well because to lose a player of that quality at 19 years of age when he is just starting his career is just horrendous. It is difficult to accept. He is the third player we have lost to tackles that are not acceptable - Abou Diaby, Eduardo and now Ramsey today. That is not football for me and I refuse to live with that. I cannot do anything about it. The players are professional they have to respect the rules and each other. The players who don’t do it have to be punished. Ramsey is a young, fantastic talent… A three-match ban is just ridiculous. But I would prefer to give my support to Ramsey rather than to play the judge. For a boy of 19 with his talent to be kicked out of the game like that is beyond words. I cannot even enjoy the win tonight because it is so sad to see that… The players were shocked. You could see that they moved away from him. For five minutes, we did not go anywhere because we did not play. After that we got back into the game… It is a bad fracture. He will be transferred to London tonight to see if he needs emergency surgery. He will be out for a long time.” - Arsene Wenger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nothing much yet really. Was watching SSN about 20 mins ago and they said that he'll be moved to a hospital closer to home later today.
    Cool, see his surgery went ok. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Stuck in your own i.e there I see to add to the SENSATIONALISM OF YOUR POST!!!!!!!

It was a bad tackle, it was unacceptable and it is no coincidence considering the amount of teams that just kick the legs off us (literally).

• Advertisement

Yes, and as i said, it looks like there was some damage done prior to the tackle also, simple!

Are you stupid??? I've seen it played at 5% speed now, you're wrong ffs...simple!!!

MikeySligo wrote: »
    :D LOL you fool. Did you see it at all...???? :D
    I think its more than tore ligaments, but sure you're right :rolleyes::D

Jesus Christ, i was using it as an example. Get off your high horse please.

Can only hope Wenger retracts some of those comments like he did with Taylor. He is bound to be emotional.

Nothing wrong with that, he's angry. It might be a bit harsh but, you'll be waiting a long time for an apology on that!

They are harsh words and you're bound to say some OTT comments in the heat of the moment but I disagree with Wenger saying that Shawcross did it intentionally.

If he was gonna cause deliberate harm to anybody he'd be constantly flying in for tackles.

Horrible accident and I hope Ramsey gets better soon. Outstanding player for someone so young.

Like what?????????????????????
    If you're talking about muscles and ligaments how can you tell?

You think he broke his leg before Shawcross came near him?

Please expand what exactly you think happened because I'm intrigued to get more knowledge of football injuries from you.

That is totally unacceptable.

• Advertisement

Are you stupid??? I've seen it played at 5% speed now, you're wrong ffs...simple!!!

Can you not have a debate without calling me stupid? Please, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Nobody is debating against the fact that Shawcross broke his leg. But Ramsey's leg buckled just prior to the challenge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The amount of people using this as an opportunity to snipe at Arsenal players is simply amazing.

Can you not have a debate without calling me stupid? Please, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Nobody is debating against the fact that Shawcross broke his leg. But Ramsey's leg buckled just prior to the challenge!

It's not a debate...I've seen it slowed down as much as possible, his leg didn't buckle before the tackle. It's not an opinion, I'm looking at the bloody thing, what don't you understand about that???

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Like what?????????????????????
    If you're talking about muscles and ligaments how can you tell?

You think he broke his leg before Shawcross came near him?

Please expand what exactly you think happened because I'm intrigued to get more knowledge of football injuries from you.

Something in his leg gave way. As i said, i'm not debating the fact that Shawcross broke his leg. But there was certainly some kind of damage done just prior to the tackle. I don't know much about football injuries but you seemed to imply earlier on that a player can not get injured unless there is a flying tackle, which is totally wrong.

That is totally unacceptable.

Do you reckon he could be charged by the FA for comments like that?

I mean, if managers can get charged for having a go at officials then surely it can apply to players too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement