Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Language Software

Options
  • 27-02-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I am looking to try and learn a new language, like German, I would be looking to learn to speak and read the language beyond simple phrases i.e. as fluently as possible, now looking at some of the responses here and elsewhere Rosetta stone would probably be a software to avoid (well especially if you want to resell it when finished with it). So would anyone have any recommendations for good software providers to look at? Beyond the resale issues is rosetta stone as good as its claimed to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I am using rosetta stone to learn spanish. I have only started last week so do not have that much experience yet. But I do definitely think it is good software. To be honest though I didn't pay for it so I cannot really complain. I've heard they are expensive and I would have to know the price to decide whether or not it's worth it. I got a pirated copy online. You could do the same and try it out. I also used pimsleur which I think is quiet good. I mean the two in conjunction seem to do a good job. I cannot really give too much insight though as I've only started learning myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I use Pimsleur and I really like it. The Russian one is great, but on the Albanian one the man's voice is mumbled so maybe it depends on the language. But as a method I think it's great because people generally spend more time listening to an iPod than sitting at a computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

im trying to learn croatian and rossetta stone aint available. I'm confused as which other program to use as there seems to be many. any help?

Looking on Amazon I see there is Teach Yourself, Pimsleur and Talk Now available for Croatian. I would pick Pimsleur out of these. Talk Now is very basic, Teach Yourself is very school-ish. You'll do letters, then numbers and so on. With Pimsleur you're just listening and repeating. But, everyone learns differently so maybe you'll need to see the written word in front of your to remember it. You'll figure out your own learning style soon enough.

Just today I got Michel Thomas Russian one.
    Personally, I think it is absolutely terrible.
    I'm listening to two people having a Russian lesson, and as with most people who learn they're making a lot of mistakes, and I'm remembering the wrong version of verbs!
    I also feel like I'm listening to monkeys learning, they're quite slow.
    Then again, some people might like the feeling of being in a class without really being in one. I'm going back to Pimsleur...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I use Pimsleur for Polish. My teacher does warn that the Polish speaker has an American accent; obviously, I wouldn't notice, but it bugs her. She reckons it's a Polish who's lived in the US for years, possibly even second-generation. Perfectly fluent, of course, but that's just something to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I have not used any software myself, but I have found the site http://www.livemocha.com/ to be excellent, it's basically a full language course on the language of your choice, the free parts of it are pretty comprehensive, and then if you get that far, you can pay for the more advanced sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'm learning Arabic and using a Living Language CD (ripped onto my iPod). The 3CD set cost 13.50 in Waterstone's and I'm finding it very good.
    Pimsleur are also quite good, I used one of their Portuguese programmes last year and found it good.

Another useful option is podcasts and online resources. If it's German you're looking to learn, there are plenty of online resources to go with one of the above language courses. Have a look at the Deutsche Welle (German radio) site for learning German or just search "Learn German" in iTunes.

Also- don't forget your local library. Dublin City Libraries have a fantastic range of language courses (particularly in popular languages like German). Needless to say- the library is FREE. And you can even get a recognised diploma if you talk to them in the Ilac center (see here).

Learning a language doesn't have to be expensive. I'm progressing well in Arabic- it will cost me a maximum of 30 euro to get to an intermediate level. From then on it's a matter of getting out there and using the language.

Best of luck anyway.

Advertisement