Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a PC to a Modem in a different room

Options
  • 27-02-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭

I am moving over to UPC. I had the PC, Netgear router and modem (digiweb) in the same room. Now the UPC router is beside the TV and the PC is upstairs.

I assume I can use the neatgear router beside the PC to connect to the UPC Wi-Fi Network.?

If so can anyone let me know where I need to start?

Thanks

<edit> do I need a wireless network adapter or will the netgear router do the same thing?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am moving over to UPC. I had the PC, Netgear router and modem (digiweb) in the same room. Now the UPC router is beside the TV and the PC is upstairs.

I assume I can use the neatgear router beside the PC to connect to the UPC Wi-Fi Network.?

If so can anyone let me know where I need to start?

Thanks

<edit> do I need a wireless network adapter or will the netgear router do the same thing?

Is the netgear router a wireless one? If it is then you will need to plug it into the UPC modem (thats if it is not one of their newer ones with integrated wireless) either way you will still need a wireless card or wireless usb dongle for the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dub45 wrote: »
    Is the netgear router a wireless one? If it is then you will need to plug it into the UPC modem (thats if it is not one of their newer ones with integrated wireless) either way you will still need a wireless card or wireless usb dongle for the pc.

the netgear router is wireless and so is the UPC modem. Thanks for clearing that up for me, dongle it is then

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement