Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What company are you insured with and why?

• 27-02-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

There are so many questions asked here about opinions on certain insurance companies, I thought maybe people could tell us,
    Who they are insured with?
    Why they picked that company?
    How they find them?

I am with quinn direct.
    Picked them as friends are with them and said they are good, and I found their on line quote system easy to use and got instant cover.
    Never made a claim but have rang them on a few occasions to change cover to different cars and found them very pleasant and easy to deal with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

With a broker. They find the cheapest option for me. Wanted to see if they did what they do and couldnt find a cheaper price myself than what they offered me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Prior to company car I had Hibernian Insurance because my entire family got a discount on each policy because we were all insured with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm with Hibernian this year because they were cheapest for the cover I wanted. I shop around every year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm with Quinn Direct for the third year as I still couldn't find anyone else who would give a competitive quote. The fact I'm under 25 probably doesn't help things. Even Aviva won't give me a better quote despite a discount for having health insurance with them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm with Quinn Direct for the third year as I still couldn't find anyone else who would give a competitive quote. The fact I'm under 25 probably doesn't help things. Even Aviva won't give me a better quote despite a discount for having health insurance with them.
    I'd be telling them you want to cancel your health insurance.

I'm with Hiberian as they gave me the best quote.

• Advertisement

I'm with Axa as no one else could get close to them on price, even Quinn who I was with for years as they used to be the cheapest wanted around 200 euro more for 3rd party than I'm paying Axa for a good fully comp policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Quinn
    Cheapest out of the ones I checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've just changed from FBD to Chartis (via insure.ie) because they came in nearly 33% cheaper this year.

Never made a claim but have rang them on a few occasions to change cover to different cars and found them very pleasant and easy to deal with.

Bet they charged you money every time you transferred cover to other cars, that's not the case with many other insurers (though I should have checked with my new insurers before going with them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm with Travellers through 123.ie. They were €300+ cheaper than the next best quote; which was a renewal with Quinn - I tried to bargain with Quinn based on this but the guy conceded he could get nowhere near as good a quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

with FBD for 5 years now.

Have to say though that i challenged the renewal quote every year having rang around untill they dropped to match.

Very easy to deal with on the phone.

I have had a messy year transferring insurance 3 times with one temporary cover for two weeks, never charged and request expedited professionally and politely.

Due renewall in may so we'll see but on past experience....

• Advertisement

I'm with Axa as no one else could get close to them on price, even Quinn who I was with for years as they used to be the cheapest wanted around 200 euro more for 3rd party than I'm paying Axa for a good fully comp policy.

Same with Axa through broker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

theteal wrote: »
    I'm with Travellers through 123.ie. They were €300+ cheaper than the next best quote; which was a renewal with Quinn - I tried to bargain with Quinn based on this but the guy conceded he could get nowhere near as good a quote
    My cousin called with €400 cheaper than Quinn.. and they dropped their price and he stuck with them.

I like Quinn cos I am young and they allow me to drive other cars. :D
    I have a full licence, but even if you didn't.. they still allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Asgard via insure.ie. Got a very good renewal quote but suprisingly quinn were offering a better one and i said i would switch and they matched it :) Heard some horror stories about quinn so wasn't really going to switch and wanted to avoid the hassle anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stick up a poll! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

With same broker for last 7 years and have gotten best deals everytime. With Hibernian through this broker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Back to hibernian (sorry aviva :) ) this year.

Don't just go on their online quote either! My online quote was 2.2k and when I rang for my no claims bonus to move on I got it for 1.2 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

With a Broker thru Axa this year.

Last year was Aviva but they decided that with no claims etc my policy should increase by €600 ? I even went into their office after shopping around to see what the story was as nothing had chnaged except I got another year ncb added to my policy so thought it would be going dwn not up.

Quin wanted more than 2k.

Axa broker via chill.ie only cost 1k

go figure :)

i changed cars 3 times last year with q direct, i dont think there was a charge for any of the transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I used 25plus.ie last year. Got insurance 330€ cheaper than Axa who I was with for 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

FBD because they are Irish, and at the time I was looking almost 10 years ago, gave me the best quotes. I've had a few claims, and they've been very good to deal with, so I feel a sense of loyalty to them now. They still give me a competitive rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Brokers,cause they get me the cheapest quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

esel wrote: »
    Stick up a poll! :D
    That could take sometime to put together, anyone know how many insurance companies operate in Ireland.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

AXA. Was with Quinn for three years but their final renewal quote was a joke, think they wanted to take 50 quid off the price of the previous year. Called AXA and got a fully comp policy that equalled what Quinn offered for 3rd party.

Must say the father is with FBD and he finds them great. Cheap and quick. Someone hit the back of him a few months ago and they had someone out next day inspecting damge, paid up and got money from the lady who hit him. His policy wasn't affected, it actually was cheaper the next renewal quote.

The year before he badly scrathed the rear door panel off a piece of metal sticking out from the wall of his garden. ( Dunno how he didn't see it ) He claimed as it was 2k to get the whole thing replaced, FBD just took away his ncb protection for the remainder of the year, didn't charge him anything! They told him if he had to clai magain tho he would lose his ncb then. Luckily he didn't get hit by the woman til the next year.

He's had such bad luck with this new car of his. Never a bother before he bought the focus. His turbo is giving him a lot of probs. But as for insurance, he seems to be a loyal fbd man now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Zurich through a broker (Brittons - I was with them already)
    (Zurich via BMW website couple of quid dearer)

By far the cheapest for me

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sorry for asking but can anyone tell me how and where can you find these insurance brokers?...

Word of mouth mostly. The broker I use are Goggins based in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

25plus.ie.
    They were almost €100 cheaper for the same cover on a €500 policy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Hibernian (or whatever they're calling themselves these days). Simple reason being they allow open driving for under 25's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Sorry for asking but can anyone tell me how and where can you find these insurance brokers?...
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Word of mouth mostly. The broker I use are Goggins based in Limerick.

Golden pages??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Merch wrote: »
    Golden pages??

Cheers.
    I found Goggins in Dublin on Golden pages.
    Lets see if they can quote me any cheaper than Hibernian or Quinn and the lot...

I just go to the golden pages, pick out the few big names ring them and see what the lowest and the average price is and see what I'm getting included with them, then ring around a selection of others and see what they can do.

I haven't really tried the brokers in a few years I never found they got me anymore than I could get by ringing around myself but if you can get a good deal.
    Still always worth ringing around

There are two Goggins

These are who i have dealt with and they are very good:

http://www.gib.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

I'm with Zurich, mainly because it's the law to have insurance and AIG are gone from Ireland. Took advice from broker to get best deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Axa - 1 of only a few insurance companies that'll insure a motor mechanic:( I was insured with Hibernian through Britton before but got a better quote from Axa.

• Advertisement

Axa - 1 of only a few insurance companies that'll insure a motor mechanic:( I was insured with Hibernian through Britton before but got a better quote from Axa.

I find that they'll all insure a mechanic now!

They just won't give me driving other cars on my policy.:mad: 9 years no claims with full licence, fully comp and no claims protected.

barry81 wrote: »
    I find that they'll all insure a mechanic now!

They just won't give me driving other cars on my policy.:mad: 9 years no claims with full licence, fully comp and no claims protected.

Yeah? Must give a ring around for my next quote. Who are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mustfind wrote: »
    Naas insurance - I got my premiun 200 chaeper this year
    Do they give a discount to shills? :cool:

Not your ornery onager

Yeah? Must give a ring around for my next quote. Who are you with?

25plus.ie. I left hibernian because they couldn't come anywhere near these and the outsourced call centres are just impossible to deal with. (I know you could still ring a local office).

Naas insurance - so convincing you had to post it three times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭halkar

Was with First Call Direct, Alianz taken over them. Over 13 years same policy. Other half is also with them as well as the house insurance. Happy enough with my policies. I see no point of shopping around as I doubt my insurances can get any lower :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

mustfind wrote: »
    Naas insurance- the only number you will want, ive them all tried and they are the cheapest & best to deal with:D

Are they 3 times better than the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

QD, no one else would quote me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quinn, because they beat the cheapest quote I got off 123, albeit by about 15 quid. Wouldn't have been worth the hassle even if they'd been 50 quid dearer mind (was already with them)

I wanted to go with Naas for this year but I was strapped for cash at the time and they wouldn't do installments, dunno if this is still the case. I was annoyed but the broker got me deal with axa in the end.

barry81 wrote: »
    25plus.ie. I left hibernian because they couldn't come anywhere near these and the outsourced call centres are just impossible to deal with. (I know you could still ring a local office).

They quoted me €680, Axa only charging me €540.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They quoted me €680, Axa only charging me €540.

AXA wanted 1400 euro off me for my renewal a few months ago,got it with a broker for 660. :D

AXA wanted 1400 euro off me for my renewal a few months ago,got it with a broker for 660. :D

At that rate you may as well promote them and tell us the broker name?

Zurich. My sister was with them when I went as named driver on her car back when I started driving. Still with them as they are super cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement