Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do cats kill chickens?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

re "raw mouse".... We feed mostly raw chicken wings to our cats anyways, with some "own brand " kibble.

They have never been so healthy and lively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

interesting - I've been cooking cheap cuts of chicken for the cats, but one of them refuses to eat it. I thought it was my cooking, maybe I should give it raw. Aren't the bones dangerous though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

planetX wrote: »
    interesting - I've been cooking cheap cuts of chicken for the cats, but one of them refuses to eat it. I thought it was my cooking, maybe I should give it raw. Aren't the bones dangerous though?

They are when cooked, as they soften and can splinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My cats hunt mice, rats and rabbits, but they leave the chickens alone. My dogs hunt nothing, and also leave the chickens alone, unlike the stray dog who arrived one day and killed three of them. The chickens have been known to kill rats and mice.

yeah, my sister in law used to give mice from mousetraps to her chickens. They'd fight over them. she also used to feed them... chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

There are loads of stray cats in our area and they have never been a problem for our hens. Our hens aren't secured, they have a section of the garden fenced off for them. The hen's food attracts lots of smaller birds and you would often see the cats hanging around stalking the smaller birds, but never the hens.

Always raw' as in nature. Cooked bones are brittle and can splinter and damage.

Never saw a cat of dog with a camp fire;)

We feed our dogs and cats raw chicken and all kinds of raw bones for the dogs.

They love it and it keeps them occupied longer.

We hear them dogs in the night gnawing their bones; most butchers will give marrow bones free. We tell them it is for soup.

And it works out actually cheaper. And we know exactly what they are eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Mink- we had 20+ hens all decapitated by mink.

Our cats never caused an issue with hens, the hens would attack peck them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

OP - Yes.
    In my experience non-domesticated cats do attack and kill chickens. House cats ignore them.

Manach wrote: »
    OP - Yes.
    In my experience non-domesticated cats do attack and kill chickens. House cats ignore them.

See I don't think there is a difference, except hunger of course - but my cat is well-fed at home, and his drive to hunt is as strong as any wild cat. He is as tame and domesticated as he could possibly be, we've had him since he was tiny. But he will turn his nose up at catfood, and go off and catch his own dinner. We live on top of a mouse metropolis so its just as well.
    the good news is no more chickens have turned up, so hopefully it was a once-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

I had a friend who lost thirty of his bantams to a mink the mink will kill for the sake of it and often just leave the body if it was a mink he will be back and will take all of your chickens the only way to stop a mink is to trap them.

Been there.. and they can get through incredibly small spaces eg 2 inch chicken wire is no safeguard against mink.

One of our cats once brought half a hare in; the back half. Always wondered who the tug of was with... We left him to it; he gorged and slept on the settee for days...
    I had a friend who lost thirty of his bantams to a mink the mink will kill for the sake of it and often just leave the body if it was a mink he will be back and will take all of your chickens the only way to stop a mink is to trap them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

LOL and double LOL

For what reason exactly? Or do you have the ability to debate without this type of approach?

Nice avatar by the way... ;)
    I disagree fundamentally. I'm very sorry if my cat is taking someone's chickens, but I am absolutely not going to keep an animal confined to a house for his life because of it. My cats are outdoor animals, they do a huge amount of good service by killing rodents - why on earth would I want to put down traps? I would rather take our chances with all the risks outside rather than imprison them, they'd be better off dead.
    And there are plenty of other risks to chickens, secure runs are the only way to ensure their safety. IF it was my cat he may pay the ultimate price, there isn't anything I can do about that. I once had a guinea pig who was taken by a cat - I was heartbroken, but I didn't go over demanding the death of the cat. I secured my guineapigs run better. That's nature.

It seems that you are not too fearful of your cat getting shot or killed if you are not bothered in taking good advice. A farmer shooting your cat to protect his livlihood is nature too. Remember that.

..........................and, that's today's dose of hysterical exaggeration. Chrstxbye.

It unbelieveable how many people know so little about their own pets. Here's a tip. Do a lot of research about the animal you are interested in owning. Research beyond what they eat and the range of colours they come in, it will be worth it in the long run so you know wtf you are talking about...

Feeding cooked chicken to cats? Think about it... I have yet to see a cat using a frying pan or grill. :rolleyes:

Again, do some research and educate yourself on this animal before you try to discuss it's habbits...

Advertisement