Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seachtain na Gaeilge 2010 in secondary schools.

Options
  • 27-02-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Every year Seachtain na Gaeilge takes place in my secondary school and alot of organising is done by the "young" Irish teachers to make it a success but usually it's fairly meh. So instead this year, they've given free reign to the Gaeilgeoirí studentsto get it up and running. Our aim is to promote Irish in the school and to make people realise it's more than an exam subject, It's a living language.
    So if anyone has any suggestions on what can be done for Seachtain na Gaeilge i'd be very happy to hear them.
    Usually it's ceilí and trath na gCeist but we need something with a bit more originality, hopefully including all students from first year to sixth year, and appealing to those with varying degrees of irish from the Cupla Focail to daoine líofachta
    Go raibh mile maith agaibh!!
    - Seán,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Why don't you give out spot prizes if you hear students having conversations in Irish. The organizers could go around with a bag of sweets or some such during lunch /in between classes and hand some out if they hear any young'uns conversing with each other in Irish. It was done in my school years back for seachtain na Gaelige and from what I remember was fairly successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

In my old school, every year there was a show put on for the duration of SnaG (I dunno how your assembly system works, but in mine it was first years on Monday, seconds on Tuesday, etc., all first thing in the morning, and it was then that the show was put on). In it were Irish dancers, singers, comedy acts and a play that usually the TY class put on. We had Aoibheann Ní Shúilleabháin as a maths teacher, so she pulled a few strings and got Des Bishop and Dathaí Ó Sé to come in too. I'm sure you could somehow get in contact with a few gaelgeóirí 'celebrities', through their respective TV channels/record companies/whatever and let them know that you're putting on a show (that is, if you decide to do it) and sell yourself and beg them to come. If you've a local newspaper, contact them about the show (The Echo were practically gagging for stories when we did it) and they might run a few photos. Let the 'celebrity' (/TV channel/record company/whatever) know and it'd probably give you extra ammo, good press and all. The whole thing will create a bit of hype and get people excited.

Ask the art department to help; making posters, maybe murals if you can. There's loads of stuff you can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Whatever you do, don't make whatever activities you do compulsory. Some people think Irish is pointless, simple as. Them being forced into doing something isn't gonna help.

I'm one of them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

in my scoil we have the usual Tráth na gCeist but one year we had a treasure hunt and sports day. We always have a poetry and poster competition and we watch movies as gaeilge. my school is pretty small so all the years are divided into teams and we have a competition between the teams and individual ones (eg, best poster, best cainteoir gaeilge, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

FredBaby! wrote: »
    in my scoil we have the usual Tráth na gCeist but one year we had a treasure hunt and sports day. We always have a poetry and poster competition and we watch movies as gaeilge. my school is pretty small so all the years are divided into teams and we have a competition between the teams and individual ones (eg, best poster, best cainteoir gaeilge, etc).
    Ah the old movies Yu Ming is ainm dom! That was one awesome movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

We had Aoibheann Ní Shúilleabháin as a maths teacher

You had Aoibheann Ní Shúilleabháin as your Maths teacher?!!!
    What I wouldn't do...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

IrishKev wrote: »
    You had Aoibheann Ní Shúilleabháin as your Maths teacher?!!!
    What I wouldn't do...... :D
    She was the country’s official ‘Ambassador for Science’ in 2005 and 2006 launching Science Week

Oh god I would.

Also she's pretty good looking, but "Ambassador for Science" is what seals the deal.

Advertisement