Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary roadside signs

Options
  • 27-02-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Don't know if this is the right place.
    Lately I see companies and businesses advertising on the road side ether on road sign poles or on a wooden stick using temporary signs. These have websites or "sale" written on them.

I am wondering are these signs legal? Are they litter? Do you need permit or something?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

padocon wrote: »
    Hello,
    Don't know if this is the right place.
    Lately I see companies and businesses advertising on the road side ether on road sign poles or on a wooden stick using temporary signs. These have websites or "sale" written on them.

I am wondering are these signs legal? Are they litter? Do you need permit or something?

Thanks in advance!

They are illegal unless they have a permit. If they are on private property they are ok, but on public property a permit is required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    They are illegal unless they have a permit. If they are on private property they are ok, but on public property a permit is required

Judging by the amount that are up on the side of streets they can't all have got permits. Or do they? Where do you get a permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

god road signs are a nightmare. I have 3 for my business, permanant fixtures.

Signs on the immediate road side need something similar to planning permission which is obtainable from your local council. You lodge your application and it gets its approval or not from the area engineer. As of late they are getting very restrictive about it.

Signs on private roadside property does not need permission however it can only be of a certain size, of which im not sure but mine are reasonably small.

The signs you see on telegraph poles or stuck to timber and stuck into the ground can make you liable for a litter fine however my local council when i did it before came to tell me i had a few days to remove before I was fined. Be careful that if these blow away and cause damage you are liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

You get the permit from the local County/City Council (Area) Office.

What annoys me is the, IMO, misuse of Variable Message Signs. They're the electronic signs you see mounted on a small trailer at the side of the road that can have various messages displayed.

An ad/commercial sign can usually be easily distinguished, and therefore quickly filtered out, from a normal road sign. But on a VMS you have to read the text before you know what it's about. Under normal circumstances these warn of roadworks, road closures etc but more and more i see them advertising sales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

The other recent trend, which I assume gets around some of the planning or other permit requirements, is to "park" the trailer of a 40ft truck in a field beside the M4,M6 etc with a big add on the side.
    Looks totally crap IMO.:mad:

• Advertisement

The signs you see on telegraph poles or stuck to timber and stuck into the ground can make you liable for a litter fine however my local council when i did it before came to tell me i had a few days to remove before I was fined. Be careful that if these blow away and cause damage you are liable.

Just as a matter of interest was it any way effective?
    A certain shop had their name and Sale on little signs all over town eg Murphy's Sale. It certainly drilled it into my head.
    towger wrote: »
    The other recent trend, which I assume gets around some of the planning or other permit requirements, is to "park" the trailer of a 40ft truck in a field beside the M4,M6 etc with a big add on the side.
    Looks totally crap IMO.:mad:

Like the Tayto one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

padocon wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest was it any way effective?
    A certain shop had their name and Sale on little signs all over town eg Murphy's Sale. It certainly drilled it into my head.

not what I did but I know where I am there is a business that has every second pole sign posted for three mile each way out of town and its effictive

not what I did but I know where I am there is a business that has every second pole sign posted for three mile each way out of town and its effictive

I know that the circus all-ways do it, but it seems t be catching on with others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I used to work in dublin city centre taking down illegal posters, it was for an ad agency which I think was contracted by the corpo. We had to take down the usual ones on traffic poles etc but would have to take down big wooden expensive signs too. Being young lads loads of people thought we were vandals and threatened to call the police, including owners of the shops, we always got a good laugh at the nerve of them saying "please do ring the gaurds you'll be turning yourself in for littering".

The worst offenders of this type of thing are political parties, with some parties the majority of their posters in dun laoghaire rathdown are classed as litter. Not only are they unsightly they can be quite dangerous, falling off bridges onto windscreens, hiding small children behind railings etc.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Meetings/2009/DDHWWEDCEC/MAR09.htm
    Guidelines Relating to the Display of Election Poster:

1. Election posters should only be erected after an election has been declared and a polling date determined.

2. In accordance with the Litter Pollution Act 1997 election posters and ties must be removed within 7 days after polling date. Failure to do so may result in prosecution. The associated fixing arrangement particularly plastic ties must be removed at the same time the poster is being removed.

3. No adhesive or metal fixings are permitted.

4. All posters should be manufactured from cardboard composites or other recyclable materials.

5. The Party or individual responsible for the poster must be clearly indicated on the poster.

6. Posters must not be erected as follows:

a. on lamp standards with overhead line electricity feed,

b. on traffic signal poles,

c. on bridge parapets, overpasses and on pedestrian bridges

d. on roadside traffic barriers

e. on traffic poles or statutory signage of any type including stop, yield, cycletrack, parking control, etc.

f. on Motorways

g. must not obstruct the view of traffic lights or road signs,

h. must not block or obstruct motorists view of pedestrians, i.e. pedestrian barriers, or railings.

7. There should be a minimum clearance of 2.5 metres (8ft) from the lower edge of any poster to ground level and no posters should be placed higher than 6.5 metres (20ft) from the ground.

8. A maximum of two posters per candidate is permitted on any lamp or standard pole.

9. Political parties/independent candidates are reminded that no claims for damages arising from placing, displaying or removal of their posters will lie with the Council and they may consider it appropriate to take out Public Liability Insurance in this regard.

Election posters that do not comply with these conditions or that are erected on Council property prior to the declaration of an election will be removed by the Council. In the event of a breach of the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 prosecutions may be initiated.

After a brief discussion during which John Guckian answered Members queries, the Councillors requested that the Manager examine the possibility of implementing a scheme similar to Dublin City Council’s system whereby posters are removed at a cost to the parties. J. Guckian AGREED to come back to the Members with a report on the feasibility of this scheme in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown.

rubadub wrote: »
    I used to work in dublin city centre taking down illegal posters, it was for an ad agency which I think was contracted by the corpo. We had to take down the usual ones on traffic poles etc but would have to take down big wooden expensive signs too. Being young lads loads of people thought we were vandals and threatened to call the police, including owners of the shops, we always got a good laugh at the nerve of them saying "please do ring the gaurds you'll be turning yourself in for littering".

The worst offenders of this type of thing are political parties, with some parties the majority of their posters in dun laoghaire rathdown are classed as litter. Not only are they unsightly they can be quite dangerous, falling off bridges onto windscreens, hiding small children behind railings etc.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Meetings/2009/DDHWWEDCEC/MAR09.htm

What about if they are not up for an election? Shops do it.
    Know the legislation for putting them up other than during an election?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

last year there was one of those in our housing estate, for a (cowboy?) driveway paving company
    it was crudely tied to a pole with string, so I just untied it and laid it flat, doing things the polite way
    a couple of days later it was back up, tied alot better, so I got a scissors and cut through the string and dumped it in a nearby bush
    the sign was never put back up, so they either never found it, or they got the message

last year there was one of those in our housing estate, for a (cowboy?) driveway paving company
    it was crudely tied to a pole with string, so I just untied it and laid it flat, doing things the polite way
    a couple of days later it was back up, tied alot better, so I got a scissors and cut through the string and dumped it in a nearby bush
    the sign was never put back up, so they either never found it, or they got the message

Are housing estates private property?

Advertisement