Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supplys

Options
  • 27-02-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just got given a ankermann pc as a gift but got a question how do i tell how big the power supply is can't find it on the power supply

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drunkdruid

This is whats written if it help's

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Put it like this: you won't be running much in the way of modern hardware with it. In fact the unit looks so cheap I might not even be able to credit it with the alleged 20A capacity on the 12V rail :o

Incredible to think the unit is allegedly rated for 600W! For a comparison, a modern 250W PSU could have the same 20A capacity on the 12V rail - its where most modern components get their power from. The "minor rails" designation now include the 3.3V and 5V rails, as while you still need them for a good few things most stuff won't draw large amounts off them - its all 12V nowadays. So even though that PSU will be good for powering old Pentium 3/AGP rigs it can only supply as much juice to a modern CPU + PCIe rig as a decent 250-300W PSU :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drunkdruid

You probably won't beleive it but that was only purchased apparently a month ago so i was right in thinking it could do with a upgrade it's running a 500 gb sata hard drive, sata dvd rw and a nvidia 9600 (384 ddr3) would it be better to leave it on dedicated vga or is it strong enough for to run that set up ? It's a e6300 processor as well, window's 7 gave it a rating off 5.9?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Is the E6300 old or new? There's two different CPUs called that now! Yep, crazy, thanks a bunch Intel! If it claims to be running at 2.8GHz its the new one.

How many case fans do you have in there? Those also need a little 12V each, unless they've been rigged to run off 5V to quieten them down...

And is there any such thing as a 9600GT with 384MB memory?? :confused: You sure that's not a different graphics card?

All I know is that you have very little room to manouever with that PSU. A E6300 (either type), one HDD and a 9600GT might not kill it but much more and it'll bail on you... :(

Advertisement