Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recession,Lisbon Treaty?

• 27-02-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Do you believe this recession or possibly the European wide financial crisis (or even internationally if you want to stretch it), was orchestrated by a shadow group to convince the Irish people to vote yes to Lisbon,a treaty that further empowers the European Union on every level?A no vote from Ireland would have hampered the EU's ambitions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Are you really suggesting the recession was orchestrated to make Ireland sign the Lisbon treaty?

What does Ireland actually contribute to Europe? We need them a hell of a lot more than they need us.

The global recession was orchestrated by the Greed of banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

I believe the recession was planned in advance, and I believe the 2nd vote was going to be yes no matter if 99% of the country voted no.

The EU, the bigger they get, the harder they'll fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

Are you really suggesting the recession was orchestrated to make Ireland sign the Lisbon treaty?

Yes,that is basically what I am suggesting.

What does Ireland actually contribute to Europe?

For a start we have the largest and richest fishing grounds in the European Union,we have an abundance of untapped fossil fuel under the sea beds,most notable is Rockall, but that is a complex situation.

As conspiracy theories go, this is a bit farfetched.

The entire world was plunged into recession so one, single country would say yes to a treaty? That's a bit superfluous, don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes,that is basically what I am suggesting.

That's ridiculous.....a global recession just to get Ireland to sign up for Lisbon!!?? Maybe if the recession was confined just to Ireland you could argue the point but otherwise it's a ridiculous notion.

As conspiracy theories go, this is a bit farfetched.

The entire world was plunged into recession so one, single country would say yes to a treaty? That's a bit superfluous, don't you think?

Maybe,maybe not,or else you can just take into account the Irish recession,everything was very coincidental would you not think?

Maybe,maybe not,or else you can just take into account the Irish recession,everything was very coincidental would you not think?

A recession taking place around the same time as a vote on a treaty? That's not coincidental in the slightest, no.

What was conincidental?? The entire world was plunged into recession just so Ireland would sign an EU Treaty that only affects 27 countries in Europe??

Reread the first post.

• Advertisement

Reread the first post.

I see you've changed your OP! Anyway no it was not engineered as you suggest. Economics and economies move in cycles.....recession, boom, recession, boom....we are now in a recession, 5 years ago we were in the midst of a boom. In another 5-10 years we'll be in another boom and so on. Nothing too mysterious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

The Recession was not created to bring in a yes vote for lisbon, the stakes are much higher than that, the global financial crash was orchestrated to bring in the changes needed for a new world order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

An interesting little video, "conspiracy people" were right all along.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Come on now uprising.If you constantly repeat the same things for 20 or 30 years, one of them is going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Energy2010

Do you believe this recession or possibly the European wide financial crisis (or even internationally if you want to stretch it), was orchestrated by a shadow group to convince the Irish people to vote yes to Lisbon,a treaty that further empowers the European Union on every level?A no vote from Ireland would have hampered the EU's ambitions.

No, this is just not possible the first signs of a global financial crisis and subsequent recession can be traced back to the problems with sub-prime mortgages in the US which were first noted in early 2007, almost 18 months before Ireland's first vote on Lisbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

The big picture is not just Ireland i would imagine.
    The global recession is helpful to create a need for a global bank and government.Kind of like a giant debt consolidation company.Lovely bailouts worldwide and then another big crash to bring in a new world banking currency.Theres alot of ways it could go.Maybe just the banks will take over and we will live in a manga style post apocalyptic enviornment :D

Oh also the lisbon treaty is a very big step.I could see it possible the recession was ment to suck in funds to move in on new territories for resources and position.But also the lisbon treaty covers them for all of europe.The next super power hungry for resources needs to mimic the american model and i believe it will with its own european touch to its laws and brutality.I dont see it as coincedental we had a bad recession just before this treaty needs to be passed.I even remember reading about vague threats for ireland if we didnt sign it.
    I think basically the irish politicians had agreed on a deal that they would support the euopean effort(within that is the lisbon treaty) and by backing out of the deal they would have left themselves in a state of dishonour which you cannot have in politics.That is why a handshake between two presidents is not just a handshake to say hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cqd2

I cant take anything i hear out of dick morris' mouth seriously..

Dont listen to him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

OP, you don't have an over inflated opinon of Ireland do you?

fontanalis wrote: »
    OP, you don't have an over inflated opinon of Ireland do you?

Anything but that,IMHO this country is a cesspit of corruption,crime,beaucracy,materialism,alcoholism,drug use,an overinflated sense of importance ('even ordinary' people),incompetence regarding governing,the rule of law and order.The only redeeming feature we have is our rapidly deteriorating health care and education system.The recession did well to throw people off their pedestals,it was needed,people were so arrogant,but many still are.The recession reminded people how insignificant Ireland is,no matter what they would like to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Anything but that,IMHO this country is a cesspit of corruption,crime,beaucracy,materialism,alcoholism,drug use,an overinflated sense of importance ('even ordinary' people),incompetence regarding governing,the rule of law and order.The only redeeming feature we have is our rapidly deteriorating health care and education system.The recession did well to throw people off their pedestals,it was needed,people were so arrogant,but many still are.The recession reminded people how insignificant Ireland is,no matter what they would like to believe.

My point exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What does Ireland actually contribute to Europe? We need them a hell of a lot more than they need us.

The global recession was orchestrated by the Greed of banks.

The greed of ordinary people doesn't come into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The greed of ordinary people doesn't come into it?

Yes there are greedy ordinary people, but alot of people where sold the dream of a better life by the banks and the governments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Yes there are greedy ordinary people, but alot of people where sold the dream of a better life by the banks and the governments.

The people with brains didn't buy into it, how much can we protect people who make stupid decisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i thought the exact same thing

The people with brains didn't buy into it, how much can we protect people who make stupid decisions?

That is why I think,not everyone should have the right to vote,not without some kind of assessment based on their political knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

That is why I think,not everyone should have the right to vote,not without some kind of assessment based on their political knowledge.

what becuase you dont meet a minimum political knowledge you cant vote....
    that is backwards progression....
    limiting the ability to vote based on knowledge...... how can you then say the people in power represent the country???

robtri wrote: »
    what becuase you dont meet a minimum political knowledge you cant vote....
    that is backwards progression....
    limiting the ability to vote based on knowledge...... how can you then say the people in power represent the country???

One example,if the people of this country had possessed good political knowledge at the time of the general elections,we would not be suffering under the present incompetent bunch of buffoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Recession,Lisbon Treaty?

Yes, and don't tell me I didn't try to warn you. Re Lisbon Treaty For Dummies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

It's definitely the banks that caused the recession. If you havent already, check out the new documentary by the guy who made The Money Masters, his new one is called "The Secret Of Oz" MUST SEE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Pixel8 wrote: »
    It's definitely the banks that caused the recession. If you havent already, check out the new documentary by the guy who made The Money Masters, his new one is called "The Secret Of Oz" MUST SEE!

Just watched '' The secret of oz '' Its a fantastic insight into the dodgy working of the banking system. I want greenbacks and I want them now:) It would be interesting to see what the guys in the banking/economics forum think of this Doc. Anyway gotta go, stuck for time

Advertisement