Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10 Most Magnificent Trees in the World

Options
  • 28-02-2010 12:33am

It's a bit of an odd article to post at first glance, because most people wouldn't consider trees all that interesting, but once you read it I'm sure you'll change your mind. It's an opinion piece describing 10 of the most magnificent trees in the world. My personal favourite is number 5, considering the age of it's root system it truely is an amazing living organism.

(link)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FoxInATreehouse

Those were some cool pictures. I agree that the root system of number 5 was interesting, but more so because of the connected root structure. Though 130 years is pretty old.

I particularly liked one of the comments about the lonely tree of Tenere. Some guy is out for a drunken drive and manages to hit the only tree (or object for that matter) for 250 miles in an empty desert. :)

Those were some cool pictures. I agree that the root system of number 5 was interesting, but more so because of the connected root structure. Though 130 years is pretty old.

The average age of the trees is 130 years, but the age of the organism itself (i.e. the root structure) is estimated to be between 80,000 and one million years old (wiki link). Either way, it's the oldest, and also the heaviest, living structure on Earth.
    I particularly liked one of the comments about the lonely tree of Tenere. Some guy is out for a drunken drive and manages to hit the only tree (or object for that matter) for 250 miles in an empty desert. :)

Yah. It's amazing, I'd say he was purposely aiming for it! I doubt it would be possible to hit that single tree in such vast openness.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Good one, jammy dodger.
    I love trees and photograph interesting ones I come across.
    I know, a bit tame, but, what the heck !
    This, if the attachment works, is an olive tree I shot some time back, that I called simply "il bacio " ( The kiss)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hey Op

I love trees so thanks a million for the link, it was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pho

very interesting link

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Great link. There are some gorgeous trees in Ireland too. Ancient yews and irish oaks. In the centuries to come we may have even more spectacular trees, as Ireland while having very few truly native trees can ironically grow many many species here due to the favourable climate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yah. It's amazing, I'd say he was purposely aiming for it! I doubt it would be possible to hit that single tree in such vast openness.
    Though maybe not. I recall a similar tree in australia I believe that's the only tree for 60 miles or so, that has been repeatedly hit by cars, trucks and even a light aircraft. :eek::) It's still alive AFAIR as its much bigger. In an empty landscape apparently people are attracted to anything that stands out, especially if tired or píssed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement