Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Street Fighter 4 Tier List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

i wonder if sagat will still be top in ssf4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Blanka cammy 6/5? Joke list confirmned.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

List seems fairly accurate to me. Although Seth is hard to call.

I think to call it a joke based on one match up would be abit much.

Perhaps the Japs know something about that match up that we don't?

Any other matches you disagree with to go with that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

@bush I know and anyone who plays Fei shows thats not 6/4

Plays fei properly I should say!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

Zangief v Akuma is 3:7 hmm... maybe at really high level, the old 4:6 seemed more accurate...

Zangief V Blanka is 4:6 now too... I don't think so, Blanka just shuts down way too many options

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree with Icarian, sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Icarian wrote: »
    Zangief V Blanka is 4:6 now too... I don't think so, Blanka just shuts down way too many options

actually that matchup is getting much harder for blanka. its not just a case of throw a random ball anymore, I've had to work much harder lately in that matchup.

I think the Gief players will have something to say about that.

Azza wrote: »
    List seems fairly accurate to me. Although Seth is hard to call.

I think to call it a joke based on one match up would be abit much.

Perhaps the Japs know something about that match up that we don't?

Any other matches you disagree with to go with that one?

Ye heres a list of ones i think are worse than what they say :pac:

sagat 8/2
    balrog 7/3
    sim 6/4
    fei long 6/4
    cammy 7/3

Id say some people would say honda is 6/4 and mayne chun too.

I don't see the Rog:Rufus match up changed it was 5:5.

Rog's actually 4:6 down to Chun-Li now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

RopeDrink wrote: »
    They've increased the Balrog:Guile matchup from 5:5 to 6:4 (Balrog Favour) - Can't see what has changed to alter that - I'm no expert but I do still consider them a pretty fairly squared matchup but thats just me.

Balrog:Rufus from 6:4 (Rog) to 5:5, not fought all that many Rufus players so I can't really say much (not that I had a lot of leeway to begin with).

Nice to see it being updated, however, and it does still seem relatively accurate overall.

Rog has an Ultra he can combo on command, can turn punch through SB and is one of the hardest characters to air throw in the game. I'd heartily agree with 6:4.

EDIT: I caught Dark Talant with my ultra in the air the other day. It traded with rogs jumping fierce...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Honda/Fei Long 6:4 I'm sorry, is there some secret non Honda murdering Fei Long in the game that I am unaware of?!

Gotta say despite recent discussions I still don't see Chun being a bad match for Guile. It's a 6:4... I really don't find it an uphill struggle at all, definitely not as bad for him as Rufus.

Nor Akuma, tbh. 7:3 now? I would consider Guile's disadvantage slight there too.

I wonder what I am missing.

EDIT: Perhaps as this is a Japanese tier list, a couple of opinions are different? Like the way no one used Boxer for ages there. *shrug*

Guile can't zone Akuma as Red Fireball beats Guiles Sonic Booms even the ex Boom. So in fireball fight he can't win and can't force Akuma to come to him.

So that means Guile has to go to him, and Akuma has exceptional zoning tools. Air and ground fireball and a 3 frame DP like Ryu.

Even if he gets in on Akuma, Guiles not got a great offense and Akuma has always his teleport to get out of trouble. Any time you attempt a cross up he is out with teleport. Meaties risk getting DP. There is no safe jump against him. His moves with invincable frames give him potential options to get him out of fireball traps.

Akuma's flip kick has variable distance on making it a good tool to get in on Guile, not fool proof but its an option.

When Akuma gets in. His options are almost endless and alot of them highly damaging.

Akuma has better footsies too.
    Akumas a roundhouse that comes out in 7 frames sets up big combo's.

His Ultra is alot more useful than Guiles too. Whiff a flash kick and your toast when he has that.

As for Chun I think that was explained before. She's better when she gets in than Guile and and Guiles zoning game only partly compensates for that.

Azza wrote: »
    Guile can't zone Akuma as Red Fireball beats Guiles Sonic Booms even the ex Boom. So in fireball fight he can't win and can't force Akuma to come to him.

So that means Guile has to go to him, and Akuma has exceptional zoning tools. Air and ground fireball and a 3 frame DP like Ryu.

Even if he gets in on Akuma, Guiles not got a great offense and Akuma has always his teleport to get out of trouble. Any time you attempt a cross up he is out with teleport. Meaties risk getting DP. There is no safe jump against him. His moves with invincable frames give him potential options to get him out of fireball traps.

Akuma's flip kick has variable distance on making it a good tool to get in on Guile, not fool proof but its an option.

When Akuma gets in. His options are almost endless and alot of them highly damaging.

Akuma has better footsies too.
    Akumas a roundhouse that comes out in 7 frames sets up big combo's.

His Ultra is alot more useful than Guiles too. Whiff a flash kick and your toast when he has that.

As for Chun I think that was explained before. She's better when she gets in than Guile and and Guiles zoning game only partly compensates for that.

Fair enough, once again I will accept "I'm just better than people" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Looks like a few of Ken's 5-5s got changed to 6-4s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Fair enough, once again I will accept "I'm just better than people" :)

Hehe, I must say in my year of playing this game, I've defiantly fought more really solid guile's then akumas.

I've fought far more akumas, mainly in the early months. But rarely have I played a real good akuma player, compared to the level of players I've faced using other characters.
    Only once have I fought an akuma that was at level you'd see in these tourney vids. & it was amazing, spent over an hour playing the guy , hardly scratched him. Added him to friends list and he accepted, tried to get fights with him again this time with my cam set up but he was always playing other people. :(

But yeah a real good akuma is a hard find. I play a well dodgy akuma, when my execution is on point, which is rare these days, I could do ok with him but even then he was just above average. But guile was always easy for me as akuma, easier then when ryu even.

I play a slightly above averge guile too, and although my guile would beat more people then my akuma would online... I know my akuma would rape my guile... yeah..

But my experience means nothing in the end as this tier list is made by people at a level far beyond anything I've ever encountered never mind be able to play.

I only actually realised vega was still consided bottom (bar dan) of even all the console characters. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Akuma 6 : 4 Cammy

I was of the opinion that Cammy can shut down Akuma pretty effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Jim wrote: »
    Akuma 6 : 4 Cammy

I was of the opinion that Cammy can shut down Akuma pretty effectively.

I think you have that the wrong way around, it's 6:4 in Cammys favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I think you have that the wrong way around, it's 6:4 in Cammys favour.
    Ah, excellent, I'm not a moron, just illiterate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Sisko wrote: »
    I only actually realised vega was still consided bottom (bar dan) of even all the console characters. :eek:
    It's a bloody disgrace.....but you can really see the tier list kick in when you're fighting some characters...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Come back to me when you can TP through L-Sonic Boom 10 times in a row without fail and I'll believe that. Even then, TurnAround Punch is NOT recommended for the Guile fight, anyway - Any projectile user can jab/hit you out of it after a projectile, Guile is no exception with his far standing fierce. If you suspect an EX Rush or TP / HB through Boom you'd also do well to Flash Kick that in the face. We can't even Ultra through it on most occasions, at least at anything farther than point blank as Guile's recovery is sick.

Guile also has a lopsided crouching hitbox that ruins Boxers typical BnB overhead Ultra setup (One you really need - Only a few Guiles actually play without relying 100% on Down-Back) so you can take your air-throw hitbox problem and smoke it ;)

Boxer-guile being 6-4 sounds about right imo, HB is a very easy counter to SBs and with its range you should rarly have to worry about it. Full screen SBs are easy to avoid and if guile keeps backing off he'll end up in the corner, which isn't fun for him at all.
    Boxers footsies are much better than guiles and Guile lacks decent anti-air against Boxer, EX flash kick is his only reliable one against Boxers jump fierce. He can attempt to air throw, but if you don't throw out fierce it will whiff and net you a free combo...
    Boxers main weakness, wake up, is nigh on unexploitable for Guile because, as Azza has pointed out numerous times, his offense sucks.
    The only time he can pose a problem is if he gets a life-lead and starts turtling, but boxer only really needs one gap in his defence to get back in and mess him up.

Boxer-Chun 4-6, I don't know TBH. Sure her super is really annoying, but to get it she has to play without meter which ain't fun. Her footsies are better than Boxers but she simply doesn't have the damage output to back them up.
    On the other hand her offense is pretty strong against boxer and her LP fireball can be incriedably frustrating when combined with her normals. She also has a much easier time escaping the corner than Guile.

Boxer-Seth 6-4, ??? What? Sure one hit likely means the end for Seth but a good Seth won't get hit and Boxer has a really hard time with Seths mix-ups. Also Boxer can't avoid Seths ultra, which does crap damage but also gives Seth free mix-ups which will almost allways lead to more damage... I would have thought it was 6-4 in Seths favour at the very least.

Boxer-Honda 5-5, while Boxer certainly has a small advantage in this match-up I don't think it's enough to quite support 6-4 in his favour so yeah I suppose this is about right. TBH it could easily be put up to 6-4 and I wouldn't complain.

Boxer-Akuma 5-5, as I've said before I definatly think this one's 6-4 in Akumas favour at the very least. Boxers footsies are slightly better but Akuma can turtle reasonably effectivly and once he knocks you down you are going to take more and more damage from his stupid vortex.

Boxer-Ryu 5-5, I feel Ryu has a slight advantage in this match-up but it's definatly not 6-4 in his favour so yeah, that sounds about right.

Apart from that though it looks OK :).

Balrogs really give my ryu a hard time thats for sure. But that's probably more to do with my lack of knowledge on the match up.

Yeah I'll deffo catch yea next time I see you on man. Your boxer is solid. Playing your rog versus others peoples is only different due to the keyboard play, you can notice the difference in play style.

You misunderstand me rope, I don't view the keyboard as a massive disadvantage at all, for boxer, in fact I'd go so far as to say it can sometimes prove a lot better then a pad or a stick. Theres far less motion for some of the moves and you'd be far less likley miss time say a.. simple forward and punch input, since on a KB its literally just pressing the two KB buttons at the same time while holding down another. Less room for input errors or miss timings (of course other motions are a totally different story - rogs new ultra etc by annoying on a KB I'd say)

So by style of play I was referring to the way you move around and react to stuff compared to most other boxers I play of all different levels of skill.

Stop assuming people think your crap :p I'd say you'd probably rape my ryu if I tried to play you on stick instead of with my pad like before. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

not this branch out discussion again
    facepalm2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Boxer/Balrog is 6:4
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hey look, it's that bloke who can't compile more than one sentance in their mind per post.

In fairness rope, your posts seem to go into this depth of drivel - surrounding boxer. I find them fairly pointless and self centred.
    You're probably the one of 3 boxers players, yet you mention boxer in every single one of your posts, not to mention a follow up video to elaborate your point.
    I come on here for a laugh, buzz with my friends, arrange meet ups and read up on some tactics, my intentions are not to read a thesis or injure my finger from scrolling through your posts so much.

Please dont take this as a snipe, just a general comment. This could have been a nice discussion about Tiers but yet again the thread has strayed away to some sort of boxer specific.

Placebo just drop it. If you have a problem with Ropedrinks posts you don't need to read or comment on them just ignore them. It really does not take alot of effort to scroll down over someones post to the next.

Boxer is a character of SF IV so he is as relevant to talk about in regards tier list as any character.

No more comments on Ropedrinks posting style and Ropedrink don't bother replying to his last comment.

Lets get back on topic people.

• Advertisement

Icarian wrote: »

Missed this post somehow. I dunno how you could see it being any worse than 6/4. Zangief can punish balls with kara ex green hand and punish up balls ON HIT. If zangief gets a knockdown blanka is ****ed whereas blanka cant really do anything to hurt zangief. If he couldnt punish upball on hit id agree alright.

Advertisement