Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less stress...to buy or not to buy?

• 28-02-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Are the less stress books good?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It depends on the subject, but in my experience, no.

The other brands were better for any of the subjects I did for LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

they're huge! have one for geography, yeah it's good but it's as thick as our textbook (ECO). i wouldn't have bought it, i got it second hand off a friend. she also gave me rapid revision geography. that's useless, leaves out a load of topics and what it gives is really only junior cert stuff. i have revise wise geography as well. i'd say that's the best one. it sticks to the point and goes through the questions that actually come up in the papers. it's not massive either, so it's easy to get into. don't have revision books for any other subjects though, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its up to you. I personally think they are very bad revision books. Revise wise and Rapid revision are IMO generally better. Look at all the books before you decide because you will find the best one

LL92 wrote: »
    they're huge! have one for geography, yeah it's good but it's as thick as our textbook (ECO). i wouldn't have bought it, i got it second hand off a friend. she also gave me rapid revision geography. that's useless, leaves out a load of topics and what it gives is really only junior cert stuff. i have revise wise geography as well. i'd say that's the best one. it sticks to the point and goes through the questions that actually come up in the papers. it's not massive either, so it's easy to get into. don't have revision books for any other subjects though, sorry.

Rapid Revision for Geography is shocking. Revise Wise is the best Geography revision book hands down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Depends on what you want it for - if you want a mini textbook, then the less stress is the one to buy. If you are looking for a revision book, the revise wise or rapid revision are the ones to buy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Less Stress are good language revision books, but for sciences or history (can't really talk about the rest), Revise Wise are way better.

Less Stress are good language revision books, but for sciences or history (can't really talk about the rest), Revise Wise are way better.
    Less Stress was the only revision book I could get for German and I couldn't recommend to anyone because the Oral stuff is out of date and they don't give you enough material on answering the comprehensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

rapid revision for languages hands down
    Its so good its actaully on our booklist!

I have less stress for english, one word. USELESS. its the 2010 course AND 2011 course, theres alot of useless information in it for 2010ers! only gives sample essays on 3 poets. Wouldnt recommend it

Revise wise for biology is the best revision book ive ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Those talking about geography revision books, Exam Skills Geography > Exam skills geography if you tore out 20 pages > Revise Wise geography.

If you look at previous topics discussing about revision books, you will find that they all have the conclusion that the brand of the book doesn't matter, they all have good and bad books. I heard less stress is good at Art History and suck at almost everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

I have the german and biology ones and I thought they were excellent. I have the rapid revision HL for biology as well and I found Less Stress to be way better. It's more coherent and concise. It isn't split up into 42 chapters like the book is, it's split into the three main sections.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

In my experience the only good revise wise books I've come across are Revise Wise for chemistry and Irish.... that's all really. The other subjects I do are french and Geography. Geography i just use the textbook as all i do is just write out essays from exam papers and learn them off and the textbook is where you get the best information. French is just about practice and understanding grammer and you don't need a revision book for that. Don't bother with it for maths or english either. I recommned getting some excercise books for maths and maybe some actual books that are written specifically about the plays and poets you are studying for english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

loads of people in my year use the revise wise books for most subjects, biology, home ec, chemistry, maths, geography. everyone uses it all the time and they say it's brilliant. our geography teacher told us to buy it because it's so good, and everyone in my class has it. i've never bought a revision book for languages, so don't know how good they are for that. i had revise wise geography and home ec for JC as well. they were both very good. the best one i ever got was shortcuts to success maths. got it for junior cert and it brought me from a C in the mocks to an A in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Most of those books are useless.The "A1" answeres they give you really aren't at all and if you use the sample answers you won't stick out from the thousands of other people who used the book too.They're ok for subjects that just require notes but I really wouldn't use the sample answers for toliet paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I only used them for Maths but I found them pretty handy. They gave a lot of example questions with sample solutions, and had all the theorem proofs together which made them easier to remember.

No idea if they're any good for other subjects though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I'm loving Revise Wise for biology, and Rapid Revision for HL maths is fantastic! (mainly because it's all in the one book rather than having to buy separate Revise Wise books for Paper 1 and 2)

Go into a bookshop and have a look at all the different ones - different companies are good for different things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I think it's very big for a revision book and can be hard to get into but I think the maths one is brillant. I find Revise Wise better for other subjects though.

Advertisement