Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

deise_girl wrote: »
    Well as I said earlier, alot of it your chasing the hounds, not a fox.
    Seriously in fox hunting your not chasing a load of foxes for the whole time, killing them all. Ive been on some where we didnt even see a fox, let alone kill it!
    And chasing often doesnt last that long eitehr, they'll go into different land or somwhere the horses cant get. As horrible as it is their wild animals theyre used to being chased, and they have to be to survive.

Foxes are the top predators of woodlands in Ireland, they have no predators, they are not used to being chased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Fad wrote: »
    Foxes are the top predators of woodlands in Ireland, they have no predators, they are not used to being chased.
    You can be sure they are, with farmers and the likes around the place. Don't forget humans are nearly always the top predators...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Foxes are apex predators of woodlands in Ireland, they have no predators, they are not used to being chased.
    Really? Oh...
    But theyre still wild creatures, its bred into them to be warey of the world around them. Being chased by horses/hounds wouldnt be the only thing to scare them im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

This thread makes me *facepalm* repeatedly.

jumpguy wrote: »
    You can be sure they are, with farmers and the likes around the place. Don't forget humans are nearly always the top predators...

They're not predators.

There's a different between shooting an animal that is a pest, and scaring it shítless by chasing it on horseback, with hounds. One is an instant death, one can scare an animal to death if it manages to escape the hunting party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Seriously in fox hunting your not chasing a load of foxes for the whole time, killing them all. Ive been on some where we didnt even see a fox, let alone kill it!
    And chasing often doesnt last that long eitehr, they'll go into different land or somwhere the horses cant get. As horrible as it is their wild animals theyre used to being chased, and they have to be to survive.

I really don't think the fox gives a **** to be honest:confused: I hunted for six years and out of those six years one fox was killed(and that year the farmers specifically asked for whatever fox's were caught to be killed because they were killing sheep). And Deise's right, you rarely see a fox! We saw the fox once in Dromineer, it ran out of an orchard. The huntmaster called off the dogs and the fox was let go. Normally once you get a good chase and a look at the fox, the hunt moves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Some would argue that, no matter how nice their environment is as they're raised, killing animals for food would constitute mistreatment.

Some would, but my post wasn't really complaining about them, it was complaining about all the "info" passed around which basically makes out farms to be torture-houses run by psychos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They're not predators.
    You're right yeah, poor phrasing on my part. We are top of the food chain is what I meant, and the chief hunters and controllers of the animal kingdom. Foxes are used to running...from us. They don't spend most of their days merrily skipping along the countryside untouched until now and again the big bad humans come along and frighten them and they don't know what to do cause they're not used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

This thread makes me *facepalm* repeatedly.

I could say exactly the same thing about some of the opinions come from the other side of the fence..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

phlegms wrote: »
    I could say exactly the same thing about some of the opinions come from the other side of the fence..
    And I just wish people would stop fecking things over my fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I've heard too many stories of people having to give up the vegetarian life because it wasn't sustainable for them for me to take this statement at face value. Also, you said you have only been vegetarian for 5/6 years. Come back to me when you have lived the majority of your life as one and then lets see who is healthiest..

It's on!
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    Some would argue that, no matter how nice their environment is as they're raised, killing animals for food would constitute mistreatment.

No offence, but I will never understand fox hunting, or why it's permitted. Completely unnecessary cruelty in my opinion :(

I'm a big fat hypocrite. I eat meat and support the killing of animals when it's for the good of my belly. But I just cannot comprehend how people enjoy killing foxes.

I share your views here with the foxhunting. It is genuinely beyond me how this is still allowed.
    I agree with this, I know iswell from experience that the vast majority of times foxes arent caught let alone killed. Some people seem to have an idea in their head each time you go out loads are going to be killed, couldnt be further from the truth.
    Alot of people dont go hunting for fox hunting. People yee have no idea the excitment of a chase, it is unreal having the horse gallop under ya, with a big gang of people, its so exciting and fun!
    So yeh alot of people that go fox hunting just fgo for the chase not the actual capturing of a fox..
    On the note of hunting you know what I hate? Protesters that come with their whistles, big signs and shouting, all it does is scare the hell outta the horse your on, its ridiculous! Protesting for an animlas well being while upsetting another!

Now this is gone off topic kinda, ive gone into hunting detailedly.
    Im not really sure what to say about eating meat etc yet, Im gonna think that out first.

The point is that a hunt sets out to hunt a fox. No matter if one is killed or not, that's still the aim of the game.

Exciting, fun, horse galloping under you... Do you really need to chase a fox to experience all of these things??
    I'm sorry, I just cannot begin to fathom how you can justify scaring an animal absolutely shítless in the pursuit of a thrill :confused:

Snap.

Wow the chase doesn't last long but guess what! There still was a chase! And hunters still set out with catching a fox in mind. Just because they are wild does not justify their hunting. Yes they have to be able to survive in their own natural environment but releasing a pack of blood thirsty hounds followed by numerous galloping horses on a fox is hardly an example of the natural chain of life.

Anyway this all this hunting has taken over from the whole meat eating issue. But sure it's still an animal issue I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Just thought I'd leave a nice, nerdy post about vegetarianism's health benefits here. I'll keep it short, but I was studying Nutrition-y stuff in Biochemistry the other day and I find it realllllly interetsing so, if provoked, I will rant for hours.

The primary reason I could give for saying I'm a vegetarian is because of health reasons. Although I also understand that a diet including meat (Particularly white meat and fish) is also extremely healthy. I'm not debating which one is "healthier", just giving a few reasons as to why one might choose to be a vegetarian.

First of all, it's incorrect to say a Vegetarian diet isn't healthy, as has been said in this thread. If appropriately planned, a vegetarian diet is nutritionally adequate, even without any supplements. It's very easy to get protein- dairy products, eggs, tofu, lentils, beans, blah blah etc.

Vegetarian diets are associated with lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, less obesity and consequently less heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and mortality. Meat is high in fat, and a diet high in meat and animal-based fats is associated with hypertension (which is high blood pressure), heart disease, cancer, diabetes, gallstones and obesity.

The primary thing for vegetarianism is reduced rates of ischemic heart disease (Basically, less blood being delivered to the heart muscle itself, usually because of coronary artery disease. Heart failure comes in here, it's one of the biggest killers out there folks.) Ischemic heart disease is caused by many things, not all diet related- smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels.
    Vegetarians are (I read this bit on PubMed AND Wikipedia, so it has to true) 24% less likely to die from it. Basically- less fat, less cholesterol, more plant sterols (Although strictly speaking the whole plant sterols thing is mainly media-driven as opposed to being scientifically proven in reducing cholesterol, according to my Biochem lecturer at least)

I'm currently reading a journal about Social Determinants of Health from the WHO and the following is stated:
    Dietary Goals to prevent chronic diseases emphasize eating more fresh vegetables, fruits and pulses (legumes) and more minimally processed starchy foods, but less animal fat, refined sugars and starch. Over 100 expert committees have agreed on these goals

Quite basic really. A vegetarian diet fulfils these requirements, as does a well balanced meat eating one.

In the same journal, there's a study shown where the amount of fresh fruit available is graphed against mortality rates fromcoronary heart disease in a few Eurpoean countries.
    In, for example, Belarus there is a poor supply of fruit and vegetables whereas in Italy there is a good supply- about 2.5 times as good. The mortality rate from coronary heart disease is 8 times as much in Belarus as it is in Italy.
    Obviously non-vegetarians eat fruit and veg. too, but in general vegetarians are obviously going to eat more.

I'm going to go watch tv now, I sound too stupidly nerdy, and I haven't even gotten into all the fun, sciencey stuff.

TL;DR?
    Vegetarianism has many health benefits, as long as you don't just eat chips all day. Gotta balance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh dear. only just found this thread, so got a lot to catch up on... this is gonna be a long post, i suspect.

i suppose from the off, ill just state my stance. been vegetarian for a few years, in the process of going vegan, for odd health reasons, drinking milk has been something of a necessity lately, though i dont consume any other dairy products, and usually use rice milk.

the idea of killing for food when i can get my nutrition elsewhere just doesnt sit well with me. i dont go preaching to everyone i see eating meat, but i will share my views if the conversation turns this way. the way i see it is that we all have to do what we have to do to sleep well at night.

i dislike the farming of animals in general, particularly factory farming, but even in free range farming, there's too many things that dont sit right with me, such as the short life span free range chickens tend to have, or that males tend to be killed as they're not as wanted as females.

i detest animal testing and will go out of my way to avoid using products that have used animal tests.

i wont wear leather, but and havent bought any wool items in over a year, but i still wear the ones that i owned before going vegan.

i disagree with hunting in general, but my conscience would be cleaner if i was to eat some pork that lived in the wild than had been bought in the supermarket.

right, now to reply to some of the comments made so far... :pac:

reality check it's kill or be killed it has been for millions of years,right now we're on top and that's how it'll be for a while.Yes,I'll admit people can be heartless and cruel,so can animals and so can both to those of their own species.The world isn't a happy and rosey place,accept it dude and move on[at the narrator]

first, i have an issue with just accepting that the world isnt rosy, and consequently participating in the crappy bits. i dont believe in just accepting things i dislike, if there's a possibility of changing for the positive.

second, kill or be killed... by a cow? or a chicken?
    Circle of life. I have beef (tssh!) with vegans and vegetarians who are so for any reason other than health ones. But it's late, and I shall explain tomorrow.

is your beef with veggies who try to force their beliefs on you, or is it just with people who make a personal choice about the things they buy and eat? fair enough if it's the first, but build a bridge and get over it if it's the second.
    the conditions are,the way they are because producers have no other options,even at it's most efficient[and that's what it's about not cruelty]
    the fact is, though, we dont actually need all this meat. it's not made to a high quality standard and it's becoming less safe, the more short cuts and mass production that are involved in the industry. (ever seen Food Inc?). and people dont actually need to eat meat, particularly red meat, every day, especially not twice a day. you can get protein from cheaper sources that dont carry associations such as high cholesterol, fat, or cancer (look at most carnivores, they have short bowels, expel the meat very quickly. humans have longer bowels and there are several links to meat eating and bowel cancer).

Dairy farmers in almost every country except new zealand and the US lose money by producing milk

milk is actually extremely expensive in new zealand, because the farmers here all export it to be processed, then it's imported back and sold. cheese particularly is massively expensive here. (eh, yeah, i live in new zealand).
    but if you feel like paying enough money so that I can get through college AND be nice to the animals,then starts forking over.It's all very nice hoping it's done to a certain standard,we all still have to make a life out of it,regardless of your opinion

this is the reason that i actually went vegetarian, initially, after learning about factory farms, i decided to only eat free range meat... then discovered that i couldnt afford to eat it... so cut meat out of my diet entirely, and have never looked back :)
    If you were caught in a lions hunt it wouldn't pause to give you the right not to be treated like lunch and i don't want to be the arrogant one who says that we treat it any different to the way the rules the world works on

when the lions start keeping us in enclosures, and allowing us to breed purely so there'll be more of us for them to eat so they dont have to bother hunting any more, i might agree. not to mention that lions can't survive too well on vegetation, whereas humans are actually quite able to do it, from a nutritional point of view.
    I don't eat much meat, only chicken and turkey at Christmas, but that's because I don't like the taste of most meats. Animal welfare is important, but most animals are well treated (free range eggs and the like) and so on. Abit tired to write a big yoke about this.

im not too sure about the stats on this in ireland, but i know that in new zealand, while the majority (just over 50%) of pig farmers treat their pigs well, free range and all that... the majority of pigs are raised in factory farms and sow stalls. which means that while the majority of farmers treat their animals well... the majority of animals, are actually not well treated. also, with free range eggs, the hens tend to be killed relatively young, once they stop producing eggs as frequently, as well as the male chicks being gassed shortly after birth, as they're un-needed.
    Animal welfare is important, as well as conservation, but animals will always be hunted and killed, because humans are omnivores.

i do agree with this though. can't say im 100% happy about it, but i can't imagine a full vegetarian society.
    Jako8 wrote: »
    I love animals. I am, however, in no way against animals being used as a source of nutrition. As long as the life they live is not comprised of being boxed up. Free range is acceptable in my opinion.

I really think it's not right to blame humans for eating animals. It's primal instinct. We are omnivores.

as has been already mentioned, we are highly evolved enough at this point to be able to make a choice, based on our own ethics, morals, and conscience. particularly in the first world, it is quite easy, and often cheaper to live on a vegetarian diet (vegan gets a little trickier, but also a whole lot healthier).

as a matter of curiosity, do you only eat free range meat, and refuse all else?
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Human race would face world wide famine in quick succession if it was decided that all meat was to be outlawed. How can you sustain a population of 6 bilion and growing on just wheats, fruits and veg. It's just not doable.

have you any idea how many crops are grown just to feed the animals we're going to eat? over one third of all the grains grown in the world are fed to animals, while people are starving. in the first world, it is totally possible to live healthily on an animal free diet, and the third world could really benefit from growing crops to feed themselves, instead of cash crops to sell for animal feed.
    Id rather see what meat is sold actually used instead of being put to waste and being of no use to anyone.

totally agree with this.

what always gets me is when people assume all animals live in these hellish situations,it's simply not like that ,welfare is top priority in all animal industries

i wouldnt say 'all'.
    But people like you just have to accept that your lifestyle is a luxury that only the rich can afford. And unless you want to start eating your own crap then eating animals/animal products does serve a purpose.

i am dirt poor, i work part time on minimum wage, my partner is a beneficiary. between the two of us, really not a lot of money at all. we definitely couldnt afford to eat meat, really, even if we did want to, and i can tell you now, any we did eat, would be pure crap.

and what's this about eating my own crap?
    As for animal testing......there is no way around it. Drugs in this country HAVE TO be tested on animals before they can be released for sale. I'd like to think that the scientists that do it, do it in the most humane conditions possible, but I have my reservations. Campaigning against animal testing is just futile.

check out some of the alternatives to animal testing. and i can go on an extensive rent about how inaccurate, pointless, dangerous and cruel it is. ill avoid the rant unless you (or someone else) asks me to elaborate :)
    Fur trading is kinda horrible by and large, but I think there's such worse problems in society, when they're all sorted, I'll help fight animal cruelty in the fur trade....

i agree with you to a degree, but personally, i think it's ok for everyone to find a cause they believe in, and to work towards achieving that. which of the other more important causes are you actively supporting or campaigning towards right now, before you get round to helping fight animal cruelty in the fur trade? :)
    This raises a sorta health issues point tbh, but since humans find it very difficult to live healthily without meat (mainly due to iron and I think protein deficiencies). Being a vegan/vegetarian I'd say it's far more important to watch your diet than if you were a non-vegetarian. You'd be watching your diet anyway to ensure you don't consume meat, but you'd also want to watch your diet to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need. Is it not possible to live healthily as a vegan/vegetarian? Surely so (or does anyone know otherwise?). There are surely more sources of iron and protein than in meat, however, these may not be regularly consumed, which I think is the biggest problem as far as health concerns go.

as someone who spent my teens eating my meat and two veg, and was severely anemic during that time, i am a lot healthier, fitter, and just feel so much better in myself since being vegan. it's a pain in the arse checking labels sometimes, it's incredible how many things have milk products in them.
    TBH, I'd be rather worried if one of my friends or family decided to go vegetarian/vegan but their health began to deteriorate tbh...I wouldn't say "eat meat!" straight away though, just to eat more iron and vitamins or whatever they're deficient in.

my sister, who's obsessed with nutrition (in 6th year, top of her home ec class and intends doing nutritional studies or something in college next year), was really worried when i told her i was going vegan, until i explained to her how my diet was actually working and she conceded it's actually healthier than hers.
    How sustainable is it to live on supplements for the rest of your life? Surely it can't be doing much good for you body in the long run. I'm very much of the opinion that as long as the meat has been properly raised, looked after, humanely slaughtered then I have absolutely no issue with eating meat.

as already mentioned, i am not deficient in any vitamins, minerals or other essential nutrients, and havent taken any supplements since my mammy forced that awful cod liver oil into me :pac:
    I've heard too many stories of people having to give up the vegetarian life because it wasn't sustainable for them for me to take this statement at face value. Also, you said you have only been vegetarian for 5/6 years. Come back to me when you have lived the majority of your life as one and then lets see who is healthiest..

if they do it right and eat a balanced diet, then it's almost guaranteed the vegetarian, or better yet, the vegan, will be healthier than the omnivore in this case.

phew, that was a lot of replies :) interesting thread though, it's rare i actually read all the replies of a thread like this one, even rarer i actually post my replies :pac: :)

check out some of the alternatives to animal testing. and i can go on an extensive rent about how inaccurate, pointless, dangerous and cruel it is. ill avoid the rant unless you (or someone else) asks me to elaborate :)

I'm just saying locally, there's not a chance that the requirement of a drug being tested on animals will be removed any time soon. So protesting against it in terms of drugs is absolutely futile.

Testing make up and shít on animals is just unessecary, I agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

i am dirt poor, i work part time on minimum wage, my partner is a beneficiary. between the two of us, really not a lot of money at all. we definitely couldnt afford to eat meat, really, even if we did want to, and i can tell you now, any we did eat, would be pure crap.

and what's this about eating my own crap?

I wasn't referring to any westernised nations. I was talking more about countries where there aren't a lot of these foods available.

The crap bit was just a joke. After all, human faeces is an excellent source of vitamin b12:pac:

I'm just saying locally, there's not a chance that the requirement of a drug being tested on animals will be removed any time soon. So protesting against it in terms of drugs is absolutely futile.

why not, though? why can't it be changed for a relevant, accurate method? animal testing is not safe. leave the animal rights part out of it, it's actually unsafe for humans. why can't it be changed in favour of modern, accurate methods, which in the long run will work out a lot cheaper. just because the requirements are out dated, doesnt mean that they should stay that way. which is why it's important to protest and campaign against it.
    I wasn't referring to any westernised nations. I was talking more about countries where there aren't a lot of these foods available.

that's fair, but very different circumstances. in the western world, it is entirely plausible to get all your nutritional goodness from non-animal derived foods. we do have the choice. i get that not everyone wants to make the same one as me, but we do have the luxury of choosing.
    The crap bit was just a joke. After all, human faeces is an excellent source of vitamin b12:pac:

and hepatitis a ;)

:pac:

And it is a luxury. Day one of veganism is a success - now for the next twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have to say, fair play to vegan's, there's no way I could do it, survive without chocolate and ice cream no way I could do it.

Oddly enough I found it easier to stop eating meat, than I did to start eating it again.

Well I'm trying my best...I'll report back positive news I hope.

I"ma get some dairy free chocolate tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just found this thread now, so I think anything I wanted to say (most of which would basically have been a ctrl+v job from the Vegan and Veggies forum anyway) has been said much more eloquently and calmly by CrumbleFroo and others already, interesting read though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Good luck! I have faith in you bbz.

Have you been cutting back on dairy etc lately or did you just stop suddenly?

Also:
    I"ma

Hopefully your new diet will teach you not to talk like an urchin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Hopefully your new diet will teach you not to talk like an urchin

Pity your diet can't teach you to stop talking out of your hole:p

Pity your diet can't teach you to stop talking out of your hole:p

Wouldn't be so sure about that. I've been getting some pretty good advice from my turnips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Wouldn't be so sure about that. I've been getting some pretty good advice from my turnips.

That's what... she... said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Pygmalion wrote: »
    That's what... she... said?

Who, your turnip?

kateos2 wrote: »
    I have to say, fair play to vegan's, there's no way I could do it, survive without chocolate and ice cream no way I could do it.

it's all about alternatives! i eat dark chocolate now, which took a little bit of getting used to, but i am a lot less likely to binge on it than with milk chocolate. also, im just lucky that skittles in nz are vegan, or i could never have lasted, but the skittles are good, and good licourice is easy to come by here too, which is also vegan, and im very fond of. and salt crisps, though it's trickier finding salt and vinegar (seemingly the addition of vinegar requires milk solids :confused:).

ice cream's trickier, but it is possible to get alternative milk product ice cream, think soy's the most common.

Just found this thread now, so I think anything I wanted to say (most of which would basically have been a ctrl+v job from the Vegan and Veggies forum anyway) has been said much more eloquently and calmly by CrumbleFroo and others already, interesting read though.

wow. those two words. in the same sentence.

wow. this may be a first for me.

Jeeez calm down people. Deep breaths. Chill out. Be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sigh. *flak jacket and helmet on*

I am a conservationist. I love animals and nature. Every minute I spend out walking in the hills improves my life immeasurably. Watching animals quietly is a pleasure.

*deep breath*

And I hunt. It's the hobby of a lot of conservationists. It's important to appreciate that there's more to conservation than just liking animals and wanting them to be better off. Improving the circumstances of wild animals is of immense importance. The recent hard weather in the hills highlighted that in a major way for me. When the hard weather hit, the deer suffered immensely. It was inappropriate at the time to cull numbers to reduce pressure on resources because it would have just pushed them off limited available feeding grounds. However, in those areas which were properly controlled before the hard weather, the deer were okay, while in areas which weren't heavily enough shot, there were huge losses to the cold, far more than would have been the total number shot in controlling them, as resources were scarce both before and during the hard weather. This is the essence of conservation, as far as I'm concerned. It's not about individual animals; it's about healthy, sustainable populations of the best quality animals, to preserve them far into the future. Hunting is about supporting that and about enjoying a sustainable natural resource, the finest quality meat there is, while engaging in important conservation work. I also shoot foxes and grey crows and magpies for farmers, who suffer predation from them. In fact, for the next few weeks, I'll be putting in quite a bit of time to control their numbers. One of the interesting things is those areas which are heavily shot for foxes enjoy the healthiest populations, both in terms of quality and numbers. This is, of course, partly due to the fact that the reason they're heavily shot is to limit the effect of their predation on abundant prey for them, so they thrive thanks to the prey's abundance. However, shooting does improve the general health of the population, as shooting across demographics of age and family groups tends to be consistent, which means a slightly smaller population, in which disease doesn't spread as readily. Despite the fact that I'll control them as a pest, the countryside would be a lot poorer for not having the sight of foxes around.

I love animals and nature. I love seeing the environment healthier for my conservation work, populations thriving and free of disease or starvation. I also love eating the fruits of my labours. I'd love to supply all of my own meat and fish some day, all shot in the wild or caught wild from our rivers, lakes and coastal waters. I'd love to see our natural surroundings and waterways healthier when I leave this earth than they are now. Real conservationism is a trait that's being sadly lost in this world however. It's difficult to see, frankly, and it's extremely tough when people refuse to see your intentions and motivations for what they are, and to acknowledge the good done by the actions of someone who, yes, shoots animals. It's a grisly business. Only last week the rangers of the National Parks and Wildlife Service were culling deer in the national park in the Wicklow Gap, shooting scores of deer, and having them lifted out by the Army Air Corps as a training exercise. This is the scale control occurs on a professional scale. While my culling isn't on anything like that scale, it's still an important service to the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

*hunting rant*.

I like this. The way I see it, if you can come up with valid reasoning for this nature of things instead of just "I hunt for the lulz" then who is anyone to disagree?

I don't have any major moral issues against hunting at all, even fox hunting to an extent, even though I don't personally eat meat.

I actually think this all sounds great. Really quite interesting and enjoyable.

Advertisement