Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom.net emal free?

• 28-02-2010 2:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

Have eircom over a year but never setup an account

On the signup page it says "Normal price €2 per email address per month. "

Is the email account free or €2 per month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I use an Eircom email account but I am a UTV customer, I have used it for years for free.....https://secure.eircom.net/email, there is a sign-up option on the left menu, I do know of a friend that pays a small fee to Eircom for something like an email junk filter, maybe thats it? HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I always thought they were free but you had to setup the account from an Eircom IP/internet connection. You would be far better off with a gmail account far more features and less spam. I always thought @eircom.net looked tacky especially when you see it written on the side/back of a bet up van!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, an eircom account is better than gmail
    Spammers use gmail, hotmail and yahoo most.
    gmail is scanned by google.
    Google are nearly impossible to contact

Some organisations block gmail.

Google is an ADVERTISING company, not an Internet Charity.

A basic eircom email account is free, but must be created while you are using eircom as your ISP. I've been using eircom email since it was tinet for over 10 years. I have not had eircom as my main ISP for 5 years.

watty wrote: »

Out of intrest can you back any of that up? And what's so different from Eircom?
    Google is an ADVERTISING company, not an Internet Charity.
    Have you seen the Eircom.net homepage recently? I don't think you'll find a single ad on the gmail logon page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I always thought they were free but you had to setup the account from an Eircom IP/internet connection.

Not sure if its free anymore on the signup page it says "Normal price €2 per email address per month. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

I started off with an eircom.net email account and used it for several years (no charge). Eventually I got completely fed up with it due to the volume of unfiltered spam hitting the account. I have switched to gmail and get almost no spam as they provide free and effective spam filtering.

If you are intent on having an eircom account, set up a gmail account as well and set it up to route your eircom mail through it - then you get the benefit of the gmail spam filter

And google get the benefit of more mail to read. Better the other way around.

Also Thunderbird's spam system is fine.

I'd never use Web mail. If away from home I access a VPN shared on port 80, so my access is not blocked and is secured.

What sort of Advertising Agency (and that is what google makes their 57Billion from) needs to claim their motto is "do no evil".

Eircom does not scan your email. They have published privacy and data protection policies and follow Irish & EU law on Data Privacy. Google do not.

use whatever your own ISP is for email, or rent hosting and have your own domain. Don't feed Google.

Google's spam filter causes huge problems by blocking valid emails. I prefer my own at home spam rules and Thunderbird.

See attached image it looks like they just charge for the Email Protector I think is their Spam and Virus filtering the actual email account is still free if you’re an Eircom customer. What’s the big problem with google making revenue from advertising? Lots of company’s generate revenue in this way at least they’re not uploading Trojans and spyware onto our machines.

They have published privacy and data protection policies and follow Irish & EU law on Data Privacy. Google do not.

I'm no lawyer but I'd seriously doubt Google could setup offices and operate here if they were in breach of the Data protection act EU or Irish.

Google's spam filter causes huge problems by blocking valid emails

Watty are you going to do us the privilege of backing up any of your claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sniruairc

Hi,

My mother has an eircom account and she's been complaining lately about all the spam. I decided to set her up on gmail.

I wanted to import all her old emails and contacts from the eircom account into her new gmail account. When I enter the POP3 server for incoming mail as one of webmail.eircom.net, mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net and webmailbox.300.eircom.net I get a message telling me the server details are incorrect. Is there another eircom server out there?

When I logged into her eircom account to set up automatic forwarding all I got was a message that her gmail address was not valid and therefore eircom would not forward to it.

Any ideas on how I can round this?

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

See attached image it looks like they just charge for the Email Protector I think is their Spam and Virus filtering the actual email account is still free if you’re an Eircom customer. What’s the big problem with google making revenue from advertising? Lots of company’s generate revenue in this way at least they’re not uploading Trojans and spyware onto our machines.

I'm no lawyer but I'd seriously doubt Google could setup offices and operate here if they were in breach of the Data protection act EU or Irish.

Watty are you going to do us the privilege of backing up any of your claims?

Cheers,

I should have read it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Eircom does not scan your email. They have published privacy and data protection policies and follow Irish & EU law on Data Privacy. Google do not.

Please back this up with some form of evidence. I'm assuming you learnt this from somewhere.

Afaik all Google does is scan the header of the email and filter it accordingly and not the actual body of the text.

/me shakes head.
    http://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_privacy.html
    Google scans the text of Gmail messages in order to filter spam and detect viruses, just as all major webmail services do. Google also uses this scanning technology to deliver targeted text ads and other related information. This is completely automated and involves no humans.

It is important to note that the ads generated by this matching process are dynamically generated each time a message is opened by the user--in other words, Google does not attach particular ads to individual messages or to users' accounts.

It's irrelevent (even if true) that they don't have humans read it. The whole existance for the serivce is to improve targeted adverts and improve their information gathering.
    Contrary to Google Claims, the content of email processed by ISPs is not scanned, they don't have the resources. Some Web Mail providers may scan as claimed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail

Also STORE your OWN email. Don't rely on online Cloud Storage. Make backups of important stuff. I have at least one backup of all email back to maybe 1997. I have copy of all emails back to 2002 on my laptop in Thunderbird and on another PC.

http://www.google-watch.org/gmail.html

Some services I use ONLY work with Gmail account. I spoof my gmail address and send via my ISP's SMTP. I have gmail set to forward ALL incomming email to an ISP mailbox and delete. There is NOTHING stored on my Gmail account, no sent, no received, no contacts.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en-GB/privacy.html
    There is no assurance that Google do even what they claim to do.

The great Book Scanning copyright Theft and Street View shows that Google is totally arrogant, is barely regulated by the USA and does whatever they want until forced otherwise. Buzz was not a mistake. They are not incompetent.

While there's no privacy for non-Gmail users who receive mail from a Gmail account and might want to reply, there is too much privacy for those who use Gmail to send spammy, abusive, or threatening messages. Unlike Hotmail, Yahoo mail, and most other web mail services, browser-based Gmail does not show the originating IP address in the header. This means that system administrators who are trying to stop abuse cannot identify a Gmail abuser without asking Google for assistance. And normal users, assuming they can read headers, cannot check the identity of someone sending from Gmail. (With an IP address, you can at least do a quick check on the country or city of origin by looking it up at dnsstuff.com or some similiar service.) Since Google always seems to be too busy making billions to bother with complaints, many decide it's easier to just say "no" to all Gmail.

The latest arrogance of Google and Gmail is aliases on names. To make it easier for spammers. Anti-spam engines had to be re-written!

An email sent to paris.hilton@gmail.com, p.aris.h.ilton@gmail.com paris.hilton@gmail.com or paris.hilton+fans@gmail.com or paris.hilton+blog@gmail.com will all be redirected to one common email address and that is parishilton@gmail.com

Without a re-write, Forum banned email accounts of spammers are now worthless.

There is much, much more.

Google is a secretive 57 billion ADVERTISING company. They are NOT a cuddly FOSS company. 10% of internet traffic is now on their private networks and 13% of web sites are on their web server, which is of proprietary, secret nature and only in Google Data centres.

Google publicly admit they scan the entire email.

Their Backup and privacy policies are obfuscated and unregulated.

Their main income is Advertising. They might even have over 85% of the Internet market. Only Google knows. No-one knows how the auctions or ad-words really work. There is no transparency.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60K33U20100122
    Schmidt cited mobile as the business outside of search advertising that was most likely to deliver the sharpest growth on a percentage basis going forward, though he said display advertising represented the largest growth opportunity in absolute dollars.
    Total revenue at Google rose 17 percent to $6.67 billion. Revenue from outside the United States was 53 percent of the total. Google does not disclose the size of its business in China, where it lags home-grown search powerhouse Baidu Inc, but analysts peg Google's annual China revenue at between $200 million and $600 million.
    Google is a shareholder in Baidu.

Why does "The Register" call Google the "Chocolate Factory"?

Google google privacy concerns :)

Google google antitrust investigation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

It's irrelevent (even if true) that they don't have humans read it. The whole existance for the serivce is to improve targeted adverts and improve their information gathering.
    So? If your worried about human's reading it i'd be far more worried about that issue on eircom than google.
    Contrary to Google Claims, the content of email processed by ISPs is not scanned, they don't have the resources.
    Scanned? if your concerned about privacy that badly you should not be sending plain text email.
    Some Web Mail providers may scan as claimed.
    Some webmail providers might read it, who knows? its just hearsay
    Also STORE your OWN email. Don't rely on online Cloud Storage. Make backups of important stuff. I have at least one backup of all email back to maybe 1997. I have copy of all emails back to 2002 on my laptop in Thunderbird and on another PC.
    Likely hood of your house burning down with pc/laptop in it >> google deleting your email and not having a backup. As ever one should backup important documents, these should probably be kept offsite though using a 3rd party backup service/SLA online storage service. its quite easy to use imap/pop3 on a gmail account and just gzip/zip/encrypt the backup and then store it wherever. Local physical storage shouldn't be recommended for important documents.
    http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en-GB/privacy.html
    There is no assurance that Google do even what they claim to do.
    Assurance? you mean in the form of 3rd party oversight? how many corporations have this?
    The great Book Scanning copyright Theft and Street View shows that Google is totally arrogant, is barely regulated by the USA and does whatever they want until forced otherwise. Buzz was not a mistake. They are not incompetent.
    No buzz was not a mistake its competition for twitter and fb. Street View is thought of quite fondly by most people, myself included..most complains/blurrings google have complied with....if you don't want stuff to be recorded from public roads build a big wall. The book thing is a whole other debate, which if i recall is tied up in US courts still, clearly illustrating that the proceedure is regulated.
    The latest arrogance of Google and Gmail is aliases on names. To make it easier for spammers. Anti-spam engines had to be re-written!
    yes, arrogance, most people would consider it a convenience... if the anti-spam filter is good enough, which it seems to be for google, meh what harm.
    Regular expression that hard to do?
    Google is a secretive 57 billion ADVERTISING company.
    Actually they make most of their revenue from advertising, it doesn't make them solely an advertising company. Microsoft make plenty of money from advertising are they one too? are they a software tools company? or maybe a console manufacturer? You can't just pick one aspect of a company and say thats it.
    They are NOT a cuddly FOSS company.
    No, but then who is, IBM?
    10% of internet traffic is now on their private networks
    Err, what has that got to do with anything? and by definition if its on their internal network its not on the internet. How much data do IBM shunt around internally? i bet its an impressive figure... how about the fact IBM has a bigger ip address allocation than china?
    and 13% of web sites are on their web server, which is of proprietary, secret nature and only in Google Data centres.
    Sorry what has that got to do with anything? and 13% of all websites or 13% of all traffic to websites? plenty of companies have internal modifications to web serving software, seems largely irrlevent to this. Want to go rant about facebooks custom implementations of php? how about their proprietary modifications of memcached?
    Google publicly admit they scan the entire email.
    Yes, in lovely big easy to read paragraphs.Where they say its automated purely for keyword scanning. Doing anything else is against their privacy policy, and sure if they are going to breach that you could point the same finger at any company including eircom, be far easier i would imagine to discretely read someones email in an ISP than in google.
    Their Backup and privacy policies are obfuscated and unregulated.
    Much like every privacy policy written by lawyers? their backup policy should be regulated? how about how much wattage they use per server, should that be regulated too?
    Their main income is Advertising. They might even have over 85% of the Internet market. Only Google knows. No-one knows how the auctions or ad-words really work. There is no transparency.
    I don't know how they get the figs into the figrolls, i don't go down to jacobs demanding transparency....
    Google google antitrust investigation

Anti-trust has to do with privacy? A case half started by microsoft who have been found on multiple occasions in breach of anti-trust rules...

Anyway enough of that, this thread was supposed to be about eircom.net mail, of which i alas have no clue about.

Watty I think you may have shaken your head a little too hard :D
    Some services I use ONLY work with Gmail account. I spoof my gmail address and send via my ISP's SMTP. I have gmail set to forward ALL incomming email to an ISP mailbox and delete. There is NOTHING stored on my Gmail account, no sent, no received, no contacts.

Your not spoofing if it is your email address simply relaying and by having reply forwarded through your gmail account i.e. Googles servers they can read what they want of your email - You haven't thought this through just because its not in your online GMail inbox doesn't mean Google haven't archived it somewhere as it passed through their servers

An email sent to paris.hilton@gmail.com, p.aris.h.ilton@gmail.com paris.hilton@gmail.com or paris.hilton+fans@gmail.com or paris.hilton+blog@gmail.com will all be redirected to one common email address and that is parishilton@gmail.com

Again you provide no proof - Make it easier for spammers?- Anti-spam engines had to be rewritten? They are rewritten constantly as Spammers and spamming techniques evolve plus many Email servers allow the use of aliases thats nothing new.

Most of your reply is waffle and speculation that was never disputed. We get it you don't like google now how about proving some of your other claims instead of confusing the issue

I'd actually agree with you here as many copies as possible :D

Actually just ignore my reply Nietzschean puts the case far better! Although I think we may all be guilty of going slightly off topic did someone say something about paying for Eircom Email accounts :D

none of my outgoing email goes through gmail. Only incoming email addressed to my google account. That's < 1% that Google reads.

Only extras such as spam filter which you don't need (use your own) is Charged on Eircom. The basic email address is free.

Only extras such as spam filter which you don't need (use your own) is Charged on Eircom. The basic email address is free.

Your a little behind

See attached image it looks like they just charge for the Email Protector I think is their Spam and Virus filtering the actual email account is still free if you’re an Eircom customer.

I take it by your silence you can't substantiate any of the claims you were pressed on earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Your a little behind

I take it by your silence you can't substantiate any of the claims you were pressed on earlier.

The e-mail accounts are free. You just have to be an eircom customer at the time you wish to sign up.

Google bots do read your mail. You can tell this because of the targeted advertisment within your gmail account. Like if you are reading about tennis in one of your messages the adverts on the right will be about tennis gear or similar. Try it :)

Sorry I wasn't that clear Watty's written an essay on googles advertising strategies and I wasn't really taking him up on that plus I think Nietzschean covered it pretty well. It's all the other claims about Googles collusion with Spammers, wanton violation of the Data Protection Act, ISP's deliberately blocking gmail and google turning the net into their private network I was talking about plus his first claim that Eircom is better than Gmail I'm waiting for him to substantiate if he does fair enough but I’ve heard nothing yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ok can you stop formatting in black? A few of us use the black theme and have to highlight your text to read it.

• Advertisement

I didn't know that I was. I haven't knowingly changed anything and everyones looks the same to me with the standard theme?

Advertisement