Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Pentium III

Options
  • 28-02-2010 3:39am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I loved my pentium III it was great!!!!

450mhz, 64mb ram, voodoo 2 gfx card. Played Unreal Tournament mightily, and Age of Empires II ah maaaan. those were the days. Upgraded the graphics care to a RiVAsomethingorother eventually, and it was like... blowing my mind. UT on max settings!!!!

So do you remember upgrading and something blowing your mind?

(im kinda drunk :confused:)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

go to bed alan

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

0_o how do you know my name...

oh yeah

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If it wasn't for Weebls and Agamemnon threads on tCN this'd be Thread Of The Day for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

This is priceless... in a moment spontaneous honesty, devoid of rational constraints this man reminisces about his dearest memories.... old p3 box. Thumbs up all the way. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

UT on max settings!!!!

I remember that upgrade fondly... moving from a world of 2d discs to one where the Ripper left those long streaking trails, then cranking it up to 200% speed just because you knew it'd play just fine :'(

Where did it all go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Where did it all go wrong?
    Windows 95.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

drunk-bump

Darn it, Cherry's been around even longer than me... oldest GPU I had was a GeForce 440MX :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    drunk-bump

Darn it, Cherry's been around even longer than me... oldest GPU I had was a GeForce 440MX :o

Drunk bump #2.

You sure you're modding the right forum ;)?
    I'm in no position to throw stones

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Had a p3 box myself, nearly identical spec to op's. p3 700, 64mb ram and voodoo2. Think it was mated to Asus cubx mobo. Gp3 and UT ran so well... on 800*600.

However, the biggest rush, "blow your mind" moment was moving from 486 pc-s (prince of persia, space invaders etc...) to a pentium 120, 16mb ram, 1gb hd, even before AGP. Used to cover the window of my student room with a blanket to completely block out sunlight and play Duke Nukem 3D, on 320*240. :):):)

Remember the days when we had to take out the tracking ball out of mice and clean it 'cause it would stick when it got dirty!!! :pac::pac::pac:

Now there's laser yokes with gazillion DPI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Had a p3 box myself, nearly identical spec to op's. p3 700, 64mb ram and voodoo2. Think it was mated to Asus cubx mobo. Gp3 and UT ran so well... on 800*600.

However, the biggest rush, "blow your mind" moment was moving from 486 pc-s (prince of persia, space invaders etc...) to a pentium 120, 16mb ram, 1gb hd, even before AGP. Used to cover the window of my student room with a blanket to completely block out sunlight and play Duke Nukem 3D, on 320*240. :):):)

Remember the days when we had to take out the tracking ball out of mice and clean it 'cause it would stick when it got dirty!!! :pac::pac::pac:

Now there's laser yokes with gazillion DPI.
    How about going from a 386 SX 25 (a Dell, no less) with 4MB of RAM, an 80MB Hard Drive, and VGA Graphics to a Pentium 90, 16MB of RAM, 500MB Hard Drive (or was it 1GB? - I don't completely remember...), 1MB Diamond Stealth SVGA graphics card, and a 4X CD-ROM drive!

I was only 12 at the time of this change in 1995, but when Duke Nukem 3D came out in 1996, I was well into the demo, only to buy it in late 1996. Oh the smut and vulgarity. Quake was 10 times better but Duke Nukem 3D had toilet humor!

I remember running Quake on the highest resolution available on my monitor (I think it was 640x480) at the time, and my 1MB Diamond Stealth just cried for its momma. It wasn't until the next PC upgrade that things got better...or worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I had all the voodoos cards and I remember feeling sick when they went under.

I still have the Voodoo 5 thats the one with the (count them) 5 cooling fans on it!

Go right back to the BBC micro but my own first pc was a Packard bell with 96mb RAM and a 350 MHz CPU! Fast was not the word! It was the fastest thing on the earth at the time.

love this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

A 386 sx, 16 mhz, not the 25 mhz version.. if I remember.. god those numbers are so low they sound wrong.. it had 1mb ram and no turbo button.. somehow, constantly tinkering with config.sys and autoexec.bat I got the thing to actually run some decent games.. last 2 levels of xwing was the ultimate slideshow < 1 frame a second, I would watch it rendering on the screen..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I remember getting our first CD drive for the house computer back in the day, it came with a free WW2 flight sim.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

First family pc was a Packard Bell Pulsar 16 (I think thats what it was called anyway). 166MHz Pentium MMX, 16MB RAM, 2GB HD and Windows 95. It used to have Swiv3D, Fifa97, MDK and the legendary Professor Tim's Incredible Machine.

Before that there was my dad's laptop from work that he would sometimes bring home. 33MHz Pentium and Windows 3.1. I used to play MS Golf on that. But it took so long to load the view after each shot you took that you could go off and have a coffee before it had loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dont remember the spec of m first PC, it was a Gateway 2000 (box had a cow hide theme to it , which might I add was awesome) i think it was really dear, like £2k or something. Came across the monitor for it up in the attic over the weekend.

The thrills of having to launch games through dos

cd C:\nhl96
    hockey

cd C:\fifa96
    fifa96

two dos commands that will be embedded in my brain forever!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I dont remember the spec of m first PC, it was a Gateway 2000 (box had a cow hide theme to it , which might I add was awesome) i think it was really dear, like £2k or something. Came across the monitor for it up in the attic over the weekend.

The thrills of having to launch games through dos

cd C:\nhl96
    hockey

cd C:\fifa96
    fifa96

two dos commands that will be embedded in my brain forever!

and now i just drag fifa96 into DOSbox :pac:

Advertisement