Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood St closed by Gardai

Options
  • 28-02-2010 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Earlier at around 10pm i noticed barriers up at Flood st with a garda sign up saying as to locals only.

Anyone know whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They sometimes close it to cars when Cross St is really busy in terms of drinkers.

But that's usually only during the Races, Ocean Race etc.

Edit: actually, hold on, Flood St. only goes as far as the turn towards the docks, so it's definitely not because of Cross St being busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya sorry, i meant flood st as your heading up to cross st. like you had to keep going onto merchants road.
    barrierczsa.jpg
    Think it may have to do with the taxis clogging up that area on saturday nights now that they have installed railings on o'briens bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

skelliser wrote: »
    ya sorry, i meant flood st as your heading up to cross st. like you had to keep going onto merchants road.
    barrierczsa.jpg
    Think it may have to do with the taxis clogging up that area on saturday nights now that they have installed railings on o'briens bridge.

That's probably the taxi issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

its definitely for the taxis. it forces them to keep moving around the town. When its open an unofficial rank starts outside supermacs goes past buskers and down towards the dail around flood street. While there is a rank on bridge street when people coming outta the quays, buskers, front door or dail just take the first availible one and dont use the rank at night so the drivers dont really bother with the rank as they only really get customers from kellys. The gardai also close off the small street between the corrib centre and eyre square outside the insurance company sometimes for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My bet would have been for the high tide that's coming.

edit: er, nevermind. I thought flood street was the dock road.

• Advertisement

I saw that while driving through town last night. I think its a good idea to do this on Saturday nights. It would give great comfort around the cross street area when coming out of the pubs/standing outside pubs etc. I don't think its any real inconvenience either not being able to drive there for a few hours on a sat night.

Advertisement