Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers v Celtic match thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Eirebear wrote: »
    You might want to read my post above it talking about the referee :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, the SPL is in a terrible state, i couldnt agree more.
    But lets put it this way.

Before the season begun, i wasnt even sure if my club was going to exist anymore.
    This led to howls of derision from our rivals across the city, a club who have claimed to be in a far more financial stable position than us, and claims that they were going to put us out of business by winning the league this year.

Skip forward a few months and while that club from across the city are spending ludicrous money of Robbie keane and bringing in a whole host of others in the January window we are plodding along, grinding out results and havnt signed a player for almost 2 years.

As poor as them? Maybe.

Proud of the teams achievments in the SPL so far this season. Most definetly.

You are indirectly making my point. The 'establishment' club is on its knees, needs to win the league to survive and surprisingly enough the establishment goes out of its way to help, and I include the media in that.

Smiths comments about the ethnicity of certain match officials were a disgrace and anywhere else in the world he would have been pillioried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

You are indirectly making my point. The 'establishment' club is on its knees, needs to win the league to survive and surprisingly enough the establishment goes out of its way to help, and I include the media in that.

Smiths comments about the ethnicity of certain match officials were a disgrace and anywhere else in the world he would have been pillioried.

LOL who are the club with the ex government minister as chairman ;)

LOL who are the club with the ex government minister as chairman ;)

Thats a valid point in so far as it goes. But he has been universally reviled by the Celtic fanbase since his appointment.

Watch as he does absolutely nothing about the naked cheating from referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

What did Walter Smith say? Didnt really hear interviews after game as they switched over.

Brewster wrote: »
    What did Walter Smith say? Didnt really hear interviews after game as they switched over.

Sorry mate he never said anything about the ethnicity of Mr Murphy I take it that is who you are talking about he mentioned him by name nothing else and he was man enough to do it not leak things to the press like a certain club I could mention ;)

Sorry mate he never said anything about the ethnicity of Mr Murphy I take it that is who you are talking about he mentioned him by name nothing else and he was man enough to do it not leak things to the press like a certain club I could mention ;)

It was very clear what he was getting at and it was downright nasty.

I would much rather a club went to the association properly and risked a leak about the behaviour of certain referees than singeling out the only two on the SPL panel of Irish descent and questioning their fitness to referee against Rangers. Why am I not surprised that you consider linking the ehnicity of a matchday official and his abilities to be 'manly'?

Scratch the surface at Ibrox and the sectarian bile spills forth.

I would much rather a club went to the association properly and risked a leak about the behaviour of certain referees than singeling out the only two on the SPL panel of Irish descent and questioning their fitness to referee against Rangers. Why am I not surprised that you consider linking the ehnicity of a matchday official and his abilities to be 'manly'?

LOL again so you can tell where someone is from or what religion they are because of there name you are a feckin genius my friend because I sure as hell can't.

I would also like an explanation on what you mean by this ;)

LOL again so you can tell where someone is from or what religion they are because of there name you are a feckin genius my friend because I sure as hell can't.

No, you are right. Smith picking on a referee called Murphy. Its a complete mystery to what he might be getting at. :rolleyes: Grow up.

I think this nicely sums up the state of the two clubs and the SFA.

Celtic write a private letter to the SFA over refereeing standards in derby games in particular.

The SFA leak it to the press.

Rangers make slurs about matchday officials from an Irish Catholic background.

Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Lol, really?

The only bile i have seen in recent times is eminating from the east end of the city.
    Yesterday was absolutely hilarious, halfwits who couldnt string two words together polluting the airwaves accusing all and sundry of "establishment antics" and "freemasonry" its absolutely crazy.

Mr "Sporting Integrity" Lawwell and his club going behind the backs of the rest of the league to harrass referees via the SFA is acceptable now is it? Aye right mate.

A carefully constructed, media attack on referees this week ensured that very few Celtic fans were watching their football team yesterday, all their energies were focused on the referee, deflecting any criticisms of their team and raising tensions within the city to boot.
    Wether you like it or not, having a politician at your helm has been a big part of the clubs creation of this situation.

Lol, really?

The only bile i have seen in recent times is eminating from the east end of the city.
    Yesterday was absolutely hilarious, halfwits who couldnt string two words together polluting the airwaves accusing all and sundry of "establishment antics" and "freemasonry" its absolutely crazy.

Mr "Sporting Integrity" Lawwell and his club going behind the backs of the rest of the league to harrass referees via the SFA is acceptable now is it? Aye right mate.

A carefully constructed, media attack on referees this week ensured that very few Celtic fans were watching their football team yesterday, all their energies were focused on the referee, deflecting any criticisms of their team and raising tensions within the city to boot.
    Wether you like it or not, having a politician at your helm has been a big part of the clubs creation of this situation.

Rubbish.

Celtic did what they are perfectly entitled to. They aired concerns PRIVATELY to the SFA over the standard of matchday officials. The SFA put that letter in the public domain.

Whereas Dignity FC's manager can simply abuse Scots-Irish matchday officals with impunity.

Could you imagine the outcry if Wenger said that matchday officials with Jewish sounding surnames shouldn't be allowed officiate Arsenal games?

• Advertisement

Rubbish.

Celtic did what they are perfectly entitled to. They aired concerns PRIVATELY to the SFA over the standard of matchday officials. The SFA put that letter in the public domain.

Whereas Dignity FC's manager can simply abuse Scots-Irish matchday officals with impunity.

Could you imagine the outcry if Wenger said that matchday officials with Jewish sounding surnames shouldn't be allowed officiate Arsenal games?

Notice you chose not to answer the bit in bold why am I not surprised.

You aren't serious that came from an unnamed Celtic source but you carry on and see it as an establishment thing all you want.

You know for a fact he is Scots Irish I don't

Rubbish.

All i saw in any of the stories was "Unnamed club source"

Now unless i am reading it wrong, that would suggest someone involved in Celtic would it not?
    Of course, i may just be having the wool pulled over my eyes by the "Establishment Media" however.

As for smiths comments about Murphy, i dont know what he said. Please enlighten me.

Notice you chose not to answer the bit in bold why am I not surprised.

You aren't serious that came from an unnamed Celtic source but you carry on and see it as an establishment thing all you want.

You know for a fact he is Scots Irish I don't

The SFA put the fact that there was a letter and its contents into the public domain. Peat commented on it initially. Open and shut.

I would wager that Tom Murphy's background isn't Mexican, yes.

The SFA put the fact that there was a letter and its contents into the public domain. Peat commented on it initially. Open and shut.

I would wager that Tom Murphy's background isn't Mexican, yes.

No an unnamed Celtic source is what I saw Peat commented on the fact it was a disgraceful way to do it.

No he might not be Mexican then again my family name from years ago would have been Doyle it certainly sounds nothing like it now.

Lads everytime Celtic fail to win a must win game, the conversation on the game develops into a farce. Do people not see a pattern here? It is sticking out like a sore thumb...

No talk on how Celtic defended well to their credit and nullified threat of Boyd and Miller, no talk about how poor McGeady was. No talk of how Robbie Keane made an Old Firm debut to forget. No talk on how excellent Thomson was. No talk on what an oustanding warrier David Weir is.

Its just about biased and corrupt match officials. Its beyond a joke to be honest and very very boring.

Id love to discuss the various match ups from the day etc, but it seems you are too immature to do this.

Why am I not surprised that you consider linking the ehnicity of a matchday official and his abilities to be 'manly'?

Still choosing not to answer this bit I see

Lads everytime Celtic fail to win a must win game, the conversation on the game develops into a farce. Do people not see a pattern here? It is sticking out like a sore thumb...

No talk on how Celtic defended well to their credit and nullified threat of Boyd and Miller, no talk about how poor McGeady was. No talk of how Robbie Keane made an Old Firm debut to forget. No talk on how excellent Thomson was. No talk on what an oustanding warrier David Weir is.

Its just about biased and corrupt match officials. Its beyond a joke to be honest and very very boring.

Id love to discuss the various match ups from the day etc, but it seems you are too immature to do this.

Its always been the way, and i doubt it will change anytime soon.

Dont get me wrong, as football fans we all moan about referees, especially in defeat. its only natural.
    However its when the tinfoil hat brigade turn up that ruins it for everyone else, its no wonder neutrals look in at us as if were some sort of freakshow to be honest.

Tell a lie often enough.....

Why am I not surprised that you consider linking the ehnicity of a matchday official and his abilities to be 'manly'?

Whats to answer? Your manager makes a sectarian comment and you described it as manly. Same old Rangers.

Dont get me wrong, as football fans we all moan about referees, especially in defeat. its only natural.
    However its when the tinfoil hat brigade turn up that ruins it for everyone else, its no wonder neutrals look in at us as if were some sort of freakshow to be honest.

Thats your own fault....

Its very simple. A big deal was made about referee bias in Scotland before the game. The referee then made some biased decisions.

Of course the debate is going to be framed in that context as the referee's 'errors' played a huge part in the game.

• Advertisement

Its a joke to be honest. I stayed off the forum for a while, because I got fed up of the lack of football talk. Its a game of football FFS. Id love to be able to come on and discuss all things football as someone who has an interest in game.

To be fair to you Paul, I have seen you put your hands up and congratulate other times from time to time, so your definitely not the worst. I am not sure you have every praised Rangers though. It is that difficult to do?

I can't understand why Celtic fans continually hide behind refereeing issue rather than taking responsibility for their own team and giving a bit of credit to the opposition.

Brown may have avoided red on an other day, Bougherra may have gotten a 2nd yellow? Even if Rangers went down to ten, can you honestly say it would have made any difference?? Celtic were truly awful yesterday. Has any fan actually admitted this?? They could have played all day and not scored.

Thats your own fault....

Of course....because im the one with all the conspiracy theories eh?

Im still unsure as to what sectarian comments smith made by the way, please inform me.

Whats to answer? Your manager makes a sectarian comment and you described it as manly. Same old Rangers.

Your comment was directed at me so why do you think what you say is correct
    Oh and whats sectarian about calling someone by there name

I can't understand why Celtic fans continually hide behind refereeing issue rather than taking responsibility for their own team and giving a bit of credit to the opposition.

Take of the blinkers and read the thread. Its been acknowledged that Rangers dug the game out in the second half and were good for their win.

But you cannot ignore the refereeing controversy in Scotland or dismiss it as timmy paranoia. Its too big a story now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbPo06yZwQ

Some way to win an Old Firm match.:cool:

Still waiting......

• Advertisement

Take of the blinkers and read the thread. Its been acknowledged that Rangers dug the game out in the second half and were good for their win.

But you cannot ignore the refereeing controversy in Scotland or dismiss it as timmy paranoia. Its too big a story now.

I must have been reading a different thread then, because majority of posts are about referees....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster, now's not the time to be winding folk up.

Brewster, now's not the time to be winding folk up.

Maybe Mowbray, Brown and "Unnamed source" should have been told that prior to the game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No talk of how Robbie Keane made an Old Firm debut to forget..

Personally thought Keane was the best striker on the pitch given how little quality was on show.

Its a joke to be honest. I stayed off the forum for a while, because I got fed up of the lack of football talk. Its a game of football FFS. Id love to be able to come on and discuss all things football as someone who has an interest in game.

To be fair to you Paul, I have seen you put your hands up and congratulate other times from time to time, so your definitely not the worst. I am not sure you have every praised Rangers though. It is that difficult to do?

Brown may have avoided red on an other day, Bougherra may have gotten a 2nd yellow? Even if Rangers went down to ten, can you honestly say it would have made any difference?? Celtic were truly awful yesterday. Has any fan actually admitted this?? They could have played all day and not scored.

I think you're missing the point.

The fact that Rangers were the better team over the 90 minutes yesterday and the ineptitude of referees are two distinct different thigns, you seem intent on not separating them.

Facts from yesterday.

1. Rangers were the better team, deserved to win and deserve to win the league.

2. Bougherra should have been sent off.

3. Brown should not have been sent off.

4. Lafferty failed to get the same punishment as Brown although he was the first to raise his hands and followed through wildly on Brown.

5. Yet again the big refereeing decisions went against Celtic.

Now if I was manager of Rangers I would have taken Bougherra off midway through the second half as it should have been clear that he should have walked and he constantly looked one foul away from a red card... yet he fouled again and again and again...

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbPo06yZwQ

Some way to win an Old Firm match.:cool:

I'm soooo looking forward to seeing this.

Shels fans have a short memory when it comes to Rangers FC.

I'm soooo looking forward to seeing this.

Some online Shels fans have an insatiable need to be noticed....

Its ok guys, we see you.

noodler wrote: »
    Personally thought Keane was the best striker on the pitch given how little quality was on show.

Keane, he hardly kicked a ball. Both defences were on top I think its fair to say. Keane was being marked by a 39 yr old for parts of the game. Yes a 39 year old. I don't think Robbie was fit at all. Had it been any other game, I dont think would have started. What exactly did he do in game? He had one good shot and that was about it. He didnt create space for others, he didnt create chances for others as Celtic hardly had a shot on goal??

I think you're missing the point.

The fact that Rangers were the better team over the 90 minutes yesterday and the ineptitude of referees are two distinct different thigns, you seem intent on not separating them.

Facts from yesterday.

1. Rangers were the better team, deserved to win and deserve to win the league.

2. Bougherra should have been sent off.

3. Brown should not have been sent off.

4. Lafferty failed to get the same punishment as Brown although he was the first to raise his hands and followed through wildly on Brown.

5. Yet again the big refereeing decisions went against Celtic.

Now if I was manager of Rangers I would have taken Bougherra off midway through the second half as it should have been clear that he should have walked and he constantly looked one foul away from a red card... yet he fouled again and again and again...

Of course talking about referees and the decisions are part and parcel of games. Do you believe like some on here, that there is agenda against Celtic? Like there was some meeting arranged at start of season by SFA to instruct their whistlers to have a pro Rangers anti Celtic bias? I have no issues whatsoever talking about refereeing standards, they are different issues. Personally, as I have said, to suggest refs are corrupt is beyond contempt. Yet, there are Celtic fans that genuinely see this and feel it is the reason they are 10 points behind.

As for the decisions themselves, I think both Brown and Bougherra could have stayed on pitch one week and walked the next. I do not think they are major talking points.

No one addressed my point, did you honestly see Celtic scoring even had he been sent off? Its an impossible call to make, but on balance of play I think Celtic would have struggled. I also think Rangers could have won 1 nil even if it stayed 11 11 as they were dominant team. At the end of the day, the Celtic players on the pitch had the chance to influence the game and they didnt have the courage to do it as Gilesly would say. Its all ifs, buts and maybes. The long and short of it is ref called it as he saw it and Rangers won game 1 nil. Lets move on. There is no point letting thread become a feeding frenzy for the paranoid in our midst! Rangers are the better collective team, have the best manager by a street and thats why they will, barring a disaster win the title.

Of course talking about referees and the decisions are part and parcel of games. Do you believe like some on here, that there is agenda against Celtic? Like there was some meeting arranged at start of season by SFA to instruct their whistlers to have a pro Rangers anti Celtic bias? I have no issues whatsoever talking about refereeing standards, they are different issues. Personally, as I have said, to suggest refs are corrupt is beyond contempt. Yet, there are Celtic fans that genuinely see this and feel it is the reason they are 10 points behind.

Yes there is an agenda agaist Celtic. Celtic are seen as "outsiders" in Scotland, it goes back to religion and ethnicity - I don't think that there are meetings that referee's discuss giving decisions to one team and not the other, I think the bias is an inherent unconscious trait that exists.

Do I think it has cost Celtic points this year? Yes.

Do I think that Celtic should be top of the league? No.

Do Rangers deserve to be there? Yes.
    As for the decisions themselves, I think both Brown and Bougherra could have stayed on pitch one week and walked the next. I do not think they are major talking points.

Seriously - you think that Brown should have been sent off but then you fail to even bring Lafferty into it, Lafferty was equally as "guilty" as Brown, whatever punishment one got the other should have got, that is the point of the argument but you are completely ignoring it.

Do you think Lafferty was treated fairly by the ref?
    No one addressed my point, did you honestly see Celtic scoring even had he been sent off? Its an impossible call to make, but on balance of play I think Celtic would have struggled. I also think Rangers could have won 1 nil even if it stayed 11 11 as they were dominant team. At the end of the day, the Celtic players on the pitch had the chance to influence the game and they didnt have the courage to do it as Gilesly would say. Its all ifs, buts and maybes. The long and short of it is ref called it as he saw it and Rangers won game 1 nil. Lets move on. There is no point letting thread become a feeding frenzy for the paranoid in our midst! Rangers are the better collective team, have the best manager by a street and thats why they will, barring a disaster win the title.

Once again you are amalgamating two separate points into one.

1. Rangers were the better team, absolutely no argument there.

2. Once again the big refereeing decisions went against Celtic.

Yes there is an agenda agaist Celtic. Celtic are seen as "outsiders" in Scotland, it goes back to religion and ethnicity - I don't think that there are meetings that referee's discuss giving decisions to one team and not the other, I think the bias is an inherent unconscious trait that exists.

Seriously - you think that Brown should have been sent off but then you fail to even bring Lafferty into it, Lafferty was equally as "guilty" as Brown, whatever punishment one got the other should have got, that is the point of the argument but you are completely ignoring it.

Once again Bobby I could make a list of decisions that went against us in 2007/08 but it would be a waste of time it's all swings and roundabouts but anyone believing in some big conspiracy should really get some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Do we!?:confused:
    Some online Shels fans have an insatiable need to be noticed....

Its ok guys, we see you.

Tis a nice way to win a big derby though, 92nd min scrabbled goal. Any winning goal in the 92nd min is sweet if it's for the team you support, if it's against your biggest rivals it's sweeter.

Do we!?:confused:

Tis a nice way to win a big derby though, 92nd min scrabbled goal. Any winning goal in the 92nd min is sweet if it's for the team you support, if it's against your biggest rivals it's sweeter.

First time since 2002 that Rangers have scored a late winner against Celtic. Long time coming for the supporters.

This does not make any sense, some of the refs have family that support Celtic. Why would they be against Celtic??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Go home Rangers.

• Advertisement

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Go home Rangers.

WTF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Anyone who does not think there is an agenda against celtic by the SFA and SPL has their head in the sand. It's clear as day all season if people want to look at the amount of vital incidents gone against celtic. Obviously the rangers lads posting here are not going to acknowledge it - but they know well in a season where failure for rangers to win the league meant severe financial consequences the authorities have done EVERYTHING in their powers to help them to the title. Celtic need to out of the SPL asap - even if it means starting in the english conference and working their way up. It's rotten to the core.

Anyone who does not think there is an agenda against celtic by the SFA and SPL has their head in the sand. It's clear as day all season if people want to look at the amount of vital incidents gone against celtic. Obviously the rangers lads posting here are not going to acknowledge it - but they know well in a season where failure for rangers to win the league meant severe financial consequences the authorities have done EVERYTHING in their powers to help them to the title. Celtic need to out of the SPL asap - even if it means starting in the english conference and working their way up. It's rotten to the core.

Instead of believing all these conspiracy theories why not look at your own board and management team as I have said already yes there have been some decisions went against Celtic this season but again I look back at season 2007/08 and look and the ones that went against us.
    It really is pitiful the way people are going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

First time since 2002 that Rangers have scored a late winner against Celtic. Long time coming for the supporters.

And who do you support?

Your throwing yourself around this thread trying to make football sense when you don't. Your jumping with the bandwagon. Talk some football sense, it's all good looking up stats and posting them up trying to earn the respect of your internet peers with your internet football knowledge.

I doubt you have seen any games. Saying Celtic hide behind the referees decisions. Not a chance have you seen any games.

Joyce Country, there is not a football fan in the world that doesn't believe refs are against their team at one stage or another. Its part an parcel of football at all levels in all countries. What happens is all of a sudden you get a few calls in your favour, and suddenly you realise there is no agenda after all. Celtic have had a few calls go against them this season, I think the Rangers lads have acknowledged this. I was reading an article about many decisions that went Celtic's way in 07/08, many against Rangers that cost Rangers the league. At the time, the Rangers fans were convinced there was an agenda against them. As I say, it comes and goes. Celtic fans are hurting big time, thats understandable, but they need to look closer to home and the real reason for their failings will become apparent. Celtic have a manager in charge that is simply not very clever. His teams cannot defend, never have, and probably will never be able to. They have a team of individuals, some very talented but they are not gelled as team. The manager carries the can here. Where to for Celtic now? Who knows? Good article in paper this morning, that Celtic have basically wasted 1m in wages on Robbie Keane. How can Mowbray build for next season if he is not going to be there? One or two other players are in a similar situation. The Celtic board need to take full responsibility for the mess they are in. Had they backed Strachan last season in the Jan window, Celtic would have heading for 5 in a row this season. They didn't, and the rest they say is history.

Osu wrote: »
    And who do you support?

Your throwing yourself around this thread trying to make football sense when you don't. Your jumping with the bandwagon. Talk some football sense, it's all good looking up stats and posting them up trying to earn the respect of your internet peers with your internet football knowledge.

I doubt you have seen any games. Saying Celtic hide behind the referees decisions. Not a chance have you seen any games.

I refer you to my last post. Should clear things up for you.. Its easy to blame refs, because it deflects attention away from the real issue at hand, that Celtic are a poor team with a poor manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

You think that clears up my post? Not all at. The main thing I want to know is who do you support?

Osu wrote: »
    You think that clears up my post? Not all at. The main thing I want to know is who do you support?

I don't support any team. I am a genuine Irish rugby fan that attends every Irish International home and away, but I don't have any football team that I am passionate about. I have attended about a dozen soccer matches in my life, but enjoy watching it on TV. Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hmmm

How did you feel game went Zig? I thought Celtic would have won the game because they needed it more and sometimes this can make difference, but strangely enough I thought Celtic were very muted. McGeady, Keane and Kamara very disappointing and didn't influence game at all. Would you Mowbray for next season?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement