Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Tallaght cinema to close

Options
  • 28-02-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

http://www.movies.ie/news/UCI_Tallaght_cinema_to_close

The UCI cinema at in Tallaght is to close its doors in March after 20 years at The Square, with the loss of over 50 jobs.

The closure follows notice from landlords Alburn who said the lease was always due to come to an end this month and would not be renewed.

A spokeswoman for UCI cinemas made a statement saying "Following notice given by landlords Alburn, we can confirm that the UCI Tallaght will close it's doors to the public on March 8th 2010. UCI Cinemas would like to take this opportunity to thank all of its guests who have visited the cinema over the years and thank the UCI team members who have contributed so much to the running of the cinema".

Staff member James Dunne said "We didn't see this coming, even the managers had no idea. Fifty job losses is massive and many of the staff have kids and mortgages - it's going to be extremely hard for them".

A planning application was passed recently for a new 14 screen cinema complex at Belgard Square East, on the site of the former Woodies DIY.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sad for the people who lost their jobs but the cinema is awful! Can't wait for the new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, sad to see but it's been coming and I'd suggest that the cinema has been allowed to become run down. I remember when it first opened it was the only thing like it in the country but Liffey Valley, Dundree and Blanchardstown left it looking run down and dirty and nothing was ever done to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Yep, sad to see but it's been coming and I'd suggest that the cinema has been allowed to become run down. I remember when it first opened it was the only thing like it in the country but Liffey Valley, Dundree and Blanchardstown left it looking run down and dirty and nothing was ever done to improve it.

money was put in ovr the years , but not enough , it would have required a major overhaul and from a business point of view - spending money revamping a cinema in ireland could easily be spent overseas building a cinema or two from scratch. The UCI was stil in decent enough nick when liffey valley opened - thats 11 years open this year so i'm sure that and blanch are a bit more run down since then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

money was put in ovr the years , but not enough , it would have required a major overhaul and from a business point of view - spending money revamping a cinema in ireland could easily be spent overseas building a cinema or two from scratch. The UCI was stil in decent enough nick when liffey valley opened - thats 11 years open this year so i'm sure that and blanch are a bit more run down since then.
    You'd think think VUE in Liffey Valley was only just opened walking in there, I can't believe it's 11 years already!

• Advertisement

You'd think think VUE in Liffey Valley was only just opened walking in there, I can't believe it's 11 years already!

Haven't been there in years but it was a well built cinema to start with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

Thats very sad news, worked in the Square for a few years in the early 90s and used to go to almost every film there. Still regularly bring the kids up there to films too.
    Tough on the 50 workers.

Just reminded me of passing theold Harolds Cross cinema site yesterday. Nothing there just an empty lot. That was a great old cinema (a kip but when I lived in the vicinity used to go there regularly and run into the pub for a few pints after).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Terrible about the jobs going..

Havnt been to UCI there in years and i live just around the corner.. Combination of its facilities and customers have me going out to Dundrum or Vue!!

Wonder whats going in instead? another cinema or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Reading the story in the Echo, it looks like the landlords in the Square decided not to renew their deal with UCI, so it was out of their hands. Strange decision and one that's probably linked to the proposed redevelopment of the Square, which is to include a new cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Reading the story in the Echo, it looks like the landlords in the Square decided not to renew their deal with UCI, so it was out of their hands. Strange decision and one that's probably linked to the proposed redevelopment of the Square, which is to include a new cinema.
    Not all that strange. If you think about the amount of space taken up by UCI, and you gutted that, you'd have a massive amount of additional floor space on both the third and second levels - two entirely new "wings" which can be renovated in line with the rest of the complex and fit in a tonne of shops. While it's sad for those who are losing their job, chances are this will generate a lot more jobs in the medium-term.

The cinema itself had become completely run down & inadequate since the glory days of being the biggest/best in Ireland, so the owners of the square were probably glad to be able to remove it in line with the redevelopment.

• Advertisement

Cinema is based on level 3 only, with fire exits only on level 2 out by tesco.

rumour is that penny's was ear marked to go in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hopefully with the amount of retail outlets closing left right and center across the city because of greedy landlords this shower will score an own goal and get landed with a large empty space. Cinemas are complimentary to any shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

One of the factors would have been the introduction of paid parking recently. Why bother when you can drive elsewhere for free eg Liffey Valley and Blanch

trellheim wrote: »
    One of the factors would have been the introduction of paid parking recently. Why bother when you can drive elsewhere for free eg Liffey Valley and Blanch

you didn't have to pay for parking in the square when you went to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

you didn't have to pay for parking in the square when you went to the cinema.

And you still don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Sad in a way to see it go, but it was a terrible kip. Pretty much every time I went scumbags were smoking, shouting across the place to one another & generally disrupting the movie. We went out about 3 times about a group of people, before they threw them out.

Only went to Pigsback previews in recent times. Used to cash in my points for free tickets, but my o/h still wouldn't go there, even with free tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

UCI Tallaght was the only place local to me anyway that buttered the popcorn. Not even Liffey Valley or Dundrum do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Not really surprised to be honest, the place was fairly dire. When you have the likes of vue with stadium style seating 10 minutes one way up the M50 and 10 minutes the other way you have movies@dundrum, with fully digital projection as opposed to the wobbly, scratchy reel-to-reel film projectors UCI used, it was inevitable.

I do feel sorry for all the staff though. Very tough job wise at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

In fairnes I havent been to UCI in years which is quite close to where I live but I would happily drive the extra 20 mins (past the square) to Liffey Valley... it became an utter dump, good memories from being a kid up there... also the first ever 'date' I went on
    :D

sad for the jobs tho,

Ye rekon theres alot of demand for that retail space??
    Its gotten silly round Dublin the rents for commercial premises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Doop wrote: »
    In fairnes I havent been to UCI in years which is quite close to where I live but I would happily drive the extra 20 mins (past the square) to Liffey Valley... it became an utter dump, good memories from being a kid up there... also the first ever 'date' I went on
    :D

Ah UCI Tallaght.
    Have good memories from there, was a long time ago though.
    But any muppets that talked during the movie was on had a good beating free of charge. You can't do that these days. I swear if someone even threw popcorn at you back then it was war, and the whole cinema supported/helped you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Max_Damage wrote: »
    UCI Tallaght was the only place local to me anyway that buttered the popcorn. Not even Liffey Valley or Dundrum do that!

Was going to mention the buttered popcorn alright :D, though you got in before me,

but I spent a lot of my weekends as a kid up there with my family,

and from reading here, it seems it had taken a turn for the worse since I was last there, crikey 2003 with Mona Lisa Smile, ( don't ask ) :)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 uci_suck

for thos who say UCI was a kip. Your right, in a way! The cinema was 20 years old, are owned by the same crowd who owns leisureplex (i.e a bunch of cheap f*cks) who never once put any money into the unit! senior managements logic was when attendances dropped every year, was to increase prices and milk the customers who where loyal! and decrease the amount of staff running the place to a bare minimum, Premier Seats for their premier service! they where to cheap to have the staff, in order to deliver the service they want people to think they are getting! What sort of logic is that! so yes it was a kip but only cos the owners let it become that.

however they did sell the tallaght unit a couple of years ago for a rumoured €60mil. and then when they try to lay everyone off they offer stat redundancy where about 50% of workforce are there less than 2 years, so technically they dont got pay them anything!

here is another interesting point that may just be a coincidence, UCI claim lease negotation went from november to february, coincidentally that was the same period the planning application for the development of the woodies site went through. And coincidentally the day staff were notified of their job losses was the same day the owners of UCI were notified that planning permission was granted to Laytar Ltd. coincidentally owned by Bernard Mcnamara who coincidentally owns or owned a company with the UCI owners called Cicol, but deny thay are moving into this site!

Just a lot of coincidences. apologies for the length of this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

And the majority of staff would've been part-timers so their "average week worked" would be fairly low.

I'm asssuming you worked there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Passed by it yesterday and was shocked to see it closed- it used to be the busiest UCI in Europe!! I used to go there alot when I was growing up - I have not been in a while. Didn't realise no where else did buttered popcorn- anyone know why?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Didn't realise no where else did buttered popcorn- anyone know why?

All the cinemas in dublin get there food from Hollywood express which are owned by the UCI/Odean cinemas in the UK. i'm sure the reason alot of them give is that it's too dangerous with trips from slippy floors which is true.

But the main reason is cost in my opinion. you sell popcorn with or without butter in the UCI's it's the same price - a couple of years ago when i worked there they tried to bring something in to charge people who wanted extra butter and cheese but the staff never really rang it through the tills.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

uci_suck wrote: »
    for thos who say UCI was a kip. Your right, in a way! The cinema was 20 years old, are owned by the same crowd who owns leisureplex (i.e a bunch of cheap f*cks) who never once put any money into the unit! senior managements logic was when attendances dropped every year, was to increase prices and milk the customers who where loyal! and decrease the amount of staff running the place to a bare minimum, Premier Seats for their premier service! they where to cheap to have the staff, in order to deliver the service they want people to think they are getting! What sort of logic is that! so yes it was a kip but only cos the owners let it become that.

Just a lot of coincidences. apologies for the length of this post

EEL have only owned UCI Cinemas in Ireland for the last few years - they bought the chain from Odeon in 2006. And the cinemas are still being managed by Odeon.

You could see a massive world of difference between UCI Tallaght (opened 1990) and UCI Blanchardstown (opened 1996). Blanchardstown was already a lot more modern than Tallaght (which looked dated even when it opened) and got a slight facelift when UCI changed its logo from the original blue version to the yellow version now in use. It looks modern - granted its not up to Vue or Cineworld standards but it looks a lot more modern than Tallaght.

I wonder why the decision was taken not to go the whole hog and rebrand to Odeon here, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Went to see Rovers on Tuesday in Tallaght and got the 75 home. Couldnt believe the amount of empty car parking spaces which I would imagine is a direct result of the cinema closing. I used to frequent the cinema and then ramble around the centre picking up bits and pieces but now I have absolutely no reason to visit the Square again and I dare say a lot of other people will feel the same. Could be the beginning of the end for the place because it hasnt changed since it opened as far as I can see (other than get bigger!) More shops, less money doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Moved out of Tallaght about 4 years ago, didn't go there too often but it's sad to see it go, despite it being a bit of a kip.

It's for the better though, I'm hoping the new cinema will be good, all I know is that I've never had a great experience in cinemas. UCI and Vue seem to have the same annoying people going to them, I've banned myself from going to the cinema before 6pm just because of people bringing their 6 loud kids along.

Cineworld is ok but cut films short sometimes...didn't see the ending of Max Payne but wasn't arsed complaining as I already watched it before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

According to Wikipedia (so therefore it must be true ;o)) RTE's six-one news bulletin on the evening of the closure of the Cinema said that if a new Cinema is not opened in the Woodies site in next four months, the UCI Cinema in the Square will be re-opened. Makes you wonder why they closed it in the first place!

• Advertisement

marwelie wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia (so therefore it must be true ;o)) RTE's six-one news bulletin on the evening of the closure of the Cinema said that if a new Cinema is not opened in the Woodies site in next four months, the UCI Cinema in the Square will be re-opened. Makes you wonder why they closed it in the first place!

thats rubbish in my opinion - rumours were that pennys was going in there for a long time - they've created the space now with UCI gone

Advertisement