Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Android app: Dublin Traffic Cameras

• 28-02-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have uploaded a new free app called "Dublin Traffic Cameras" to the Android market:

"Shows all dublin city traffic cameras in a quick, easy to use format.

Tested on Nexus One, ideal for Dublin locals, commuters or anyone in Ireland planning a trip to the capital city."

All feedback welcome, hope you find app useful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not finding this is a search for Dublin Traffic or Dublin .
    I am using HTC Tattoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

heya koolkid, what version of android do you have?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Twonk. On Android 1.6 . Eagerly awaiting 2.0.
    I can not find a direct download from that link & it still does not find it in market place.
    I'll PM you my email , If you can email me the software itself I'll try it out.

pm sent koolkid, I must find out why some devices dont show up the app on market, I read on a few posts that it may be down to screen resolution but I will have to do further reading on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Worked no prob on the missis's Hero. Great app. Thanks!

Hi Tw0nk ,
    Just dowloaded & unzipped. Can't manuall install thins on HTC Tattoo. App Manager does not see it . (No .apk file) Am I missing something or is this not compatible with Tattoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Is it based on 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 or 2.1?

That if you picked a newer version, older devices won't see it in the market.

Running 1.6 & I cant see it in market place.
    App Manager also does not see it if I try a manual install

koolkid wrote: »
    Running 1.6 & I cant see it in market place.
    App Manager also does not see it if I try a manual install

Its based on android 1.5, so all 1.5+ (1.6,2.0,2.1) should be able to see it and use it in market. The problem with tattoo I think is the screen resolution, at least thats what im reading on a few forum entries. I must get down to the bottom of this as I want to include all devices ideally.

Anyone have any ideas why a tattoo device wouldnt see it?

• Advertisement

OK I have found a little more info, the tattoo has a very small screen resolution, and google only added support for these phones in 1.6+ but if I change my apps to support 1.6+ it means all 1.5 users wont be able to use it.

No bother.. Thanks for the update.

koolkid, its ok, turns out I can use any sdk from 1.6->2.1 and set a different min sdk version, so I will add this and get back to you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hi twonk,

It works great on Nexus one, thanks for that - it's very handy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you should be able to add support for the Tattoo's QVGA screen and it will appear for Tattoo users in the market then

tw0nk wrote: »
    koolkid, its ok, turns out I can use any sdk from 1.6->2.1 and set a different min sdk version, so I will add this and get back to you.
    Thanks. I look forward to it. This sound like a good application.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭smackyB

if you specify in the main xml file of your android app that it works with with QVGA screens, it should show up in the market for Tattoo users.

Thanks guys, have updated app to a new UI and added support for smaller screens, would someone with a tattoo please mind checking if it works for them? thanks for the advice and testing guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Works fine on the Tattoo. Nice app.

thanks ludo, I appreciate all the feedback

• Advertisement

+1 on tattoo. Nice app.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just installed an update for it, much slicker UI to it now. Very nice indeed!

thanks andrew, improving as I go hopefully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Doesnt seem to be working on my milestone - opens fine, but when you select a location from the list it just stays on "downloading image" for ages, and then force closes...

heya spotty, yeah dublin traffic cameras website is down now, i wonder if it is because of the increase in traffic? I will add a short timeout tonight after work for instances when the content is down and a message letting you know as such.

I hope dublin city council havent decided to stop the content altogether!

Ah ok I see. That'd be pretty funny if your app brought down DCC's website...!

oh god I hope not! although there was a lot of downloads of the app according to the android developer panel, so possibly they have a bandwidth limit or they flagged abnormally high traffic volume.

What is everyones opinion on what I should do here? Should I approach dublin city council and see if they want to work with me on the app or should I just leave it alone and hope they put the content back up?

I'd approach them. The information is public information, so it doesn't matter how somebody uses it. If you had an app that took the information from their website and somehow automatically slowed your car at those places, it's still completely acceptable. But it's worth letting them know you use the information provided for public distribution.

Maybe you could look at turning the app into a "Dublin City Council app", with traffic cameras being just one of the categories/options in the app. Though i'd ask for some payment before starting on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Approach them and let them know about your app, ask them has it caused problems and if it has ask to work with them on the issue, I doubt it has though.

• Advertisement

anyone happen to know the email address I should use? I cant find it since their site is down! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

DCC are probably on a "work to rule" :rolleyes:

DCC are probably on a "work to rule" :rolleyes:

hahaha

site is back up and app is working again, phew!

No official looking people knocking on your door so?
    I'd say its just coincidence. How many download did you say you have had on this now?

Advertisement