Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new puppy & old cat problems

Options
  • 28-02-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,
    We got a new puppy two weeks ago, a now 12 week old japanese spitz, but we're having problems introducing her to our 3 year old cat (who admittedly isn't the friendliest of cats, doesn't let you pet him, will bite when provoked, fairly huge in size etc.)

They're based in different rooms, but obviously we want them to get on, or at least tolerate each other. We've been introducing them slowly for the past week, leaving the pup in her crate & letting the cat sniff her, though he generally got disinterested after a few minutes & left the room. Thinking it was going well we let the pup out of her crate, she ran straight up to the cat in a playful way, but the cat instantly swiped at her (she wasn't cut, but yelped & got an awful fright)

Since then things havn't got any better, I've held the pup a few times whilst letting the cat walk around freely, but we're afraid to let them interact again. + now the puppys is starting to get in the habit of barking when she shes the cat, especially outside & i've seen the cat a few times looking like he's about to pounce on the poor thing...

I had read up on this before we got the puppy, & apparently most cats understand that it's a baby & keep away, but i'm not sure this will be the case for us. Anyway just looking for some hints/tips that will bring the cat around because it's getting irritating everytime someone opens a door to a room it's all 'where's the cat/where's the pup' + we're trying to train the pup to go outside, but have to constantly be on the look out for the cat is not working. All advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

No easy to do this

My 2 cats have seen the arrival of 3 pups during their 10 years and each time I have just let the pups learn that if they annoy the cat they get belted. I know the pup got a shock and cried but thats nature. I think if you let the pup learn to respect the cats space they will be ok. The Cat(as its a tom) is its own boss and probably tolerate the pup in timeas at 3 he not really old but doubt they will ever be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As esroh said, there is no easy way, and the pup will get a few slaps at the start.
    My cat was 7(and had just lost his brother) when I got a pup, got another cat few months later, then another pup a year after the first.
    He tolerates them all, and even has his friendly moments with them all, but don't think they'll ever be best buddies. He's just not that interested in the dogs and keeps out of their way. The newer cat who we adopted as an adult is the opposite, chases the smaller pup, takes over their beds, and slaps them(especially bigger dog) every chance he gets.
    One thing you do need to watch is that the dog doesn't start to chase the cat as he gets bigger. My older dog does this a little but never to harm him, if the cat stops he backs away, and if I catch him he's told to stop, he does.
    You will probably see a little caution on the dogs side, just keep an eye on them(watch for the cat getting the dogs eyes), but let them interact a bit more every day.
    The cat will also learn the threat of a swipe is often enough to make the dog clear off, and will settle down.
    You could also try distracting the pup when you see it making a run to the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

My folks got a new puppy a few months ago and the resident cat wasn't too impressed either. We actually worked the crate the opposite way - we locked the cat into it and let them sniff through the bars as it got over the problem of the cat running away from the cage all the time when the pup was locked in and forced her to interact with the pup. We also kept the doors and windows closed, forcing the cat to stay in the room and learn to tolerate the pup.

It's also important that the cat knows there is an easy escape route, be it up on the window sill, back of chair etc. so that they can get out of reach without having to leave the room.

The good news is, despite it taking a few weeks of building trust, the cat and puppy now get on really well and play together in the garden all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 piscesden

Thanks guys, guess we're just going to have to bite the bullet & let them interact, just hope the cat doesn't get his claws out...

Advertisement