Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody else get that feeling Hardy is gonna pull it off?

• 28-02-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Huge GSP fan but something in my gut tells me this is a bad fight for him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

No. Not in a million years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

How dare you. Get out and never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

GSPfan wrote: »
    How dare you. Get out and never come back.
    Ha was waiting for that, im telling you hes gonna give GSP a lot more of a battle than people think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Gsp by gnp

If this thread has an "I told you so" message from you the morning after the fight I will hunt you down Tones. So help me God. You have jinxed George Saint Pierre with your black magic thread. :mad:

Hardy is going to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

GSP by GnP end of the second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

GSPfan wrote: »
    If this thread has an "I told you so" message from you the morning after the fight I will hunt you down Tones. So help me God. You have jinxed George Saint Pierre with your black magic thread. :mad:

Hardy is going to sleep.

Well I remember when everyone laughed at me on here last year when I said Mir will destroy Big Nog so lets just wait and see hehe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think Hardy has a lot of intelligence and class. He's fully aware of what his strengths and weaknesses are and he'll approach this fight with a solid game plan, prepared to the max. But he just doesn't have the skills of the top flight UFC guys, in both regards, he's very similar to Michael Bisping.

The only chance I see Hardy has of winning is if GSP stands toe to toe with him and he beats him in the kickboxing exchange and knocks him out. GSP is the other master of the game plan, especially with Greg Jackson on board. It's hard to imagine GSP just not running through Hardy with the take down and either grinding out a decision/TKO by battering for 5 rounds or by finishing early with a big flourish if he passes guard.

In fact, I think a lot of people who've looked at the decline of BigNog would have had Frank Mir as favourite for that fight, with his loss to Cain as well, it's hard to imagine Nog beating anyone <35 who's in the top 10. He just doesn't have the reactions and his durability can't deal with 250lb people.

Well I would like to see Hardy giving him a good fight but I'd say GSP by a high kick. Round 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

No. Not in a million years.

Another 999,997 years to go then:
    matt%20serra%20ufc%20belt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

probably end up as the most one sided fight of 2010.

gsp has way too much for hardy in every area. of course, everyone has a puncher's chance but i cant see any way hardy can win.

some other really interesting fights at 170 coming up soon too. can't wait for fitch and alves! kos and daley mightnt be half bad either!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Hardy may be fair in the stand up but when GSP takes him to the ground, and you know he will, its gonna be a total demolition job from there on out. Hardy to be exhausted in the 3rd, tko'd by punches.

That being said i hope im wrong and the fight goes the distance and is entertaining, ofcourse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I see absolutely no way for Hardy to even go the distance, let alone win the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If it stays standing Hardy has a good chance of winning, GSP is brilliant at taking it down so doubt if Hardy can keep it on the feet..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Like the OP I actually think Hardy has a fairly decent chance. His stand up is very good, mentally i think he's very strong too.I'm waiting for him to start crankng up the mind games, try get under St Pieres skin. This might entice GSP to try to stand and trade.

They are doing Primetime Shows in the lead up to this like the Bj Penn fight so it should be good stuff listening to Hardy talk out of his...... Mohawk.

I think I'd like him if he just cut that thing off. Funny how fickle I am.

Oh and to the poster above > Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

I will de-testiculate myself and post it on youtube if Hardy wins.

GSP by death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

He has strong hands and decent off his back.

He does have a chance, if somewhat slim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

GSP by death.

Be careful what you promise or you could wind up like this guy!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article191436.ece

But I wouldn't worry that much, GSP takes this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The only thing that Hardy will get out of this fight is the experience of fighting for a title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Locomotion wrote: »
    Be careful what you promise or you could wind up like this guy!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article191436.ece

But I wouldn't worry that much, GSP takes this one!

That is extraordinarily disturbing. If that's real, that guy is beyond retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Wasnt evgerybody saying the same things when GSP fought thiago alves (great striker but was nowhere near in the same league as GSP in terms of being an all-round fighter!!) and look what happened there??

If this was a kickboxing match hardy would definitely have more of a chance, he'd probably be the favourite, but GSP takes EVERYONE down with ease and when he gets there its just unbelievable how awesome he is!!

GSP by TKO in the 3rd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

GSP is the master :D Totally agree the most Hardy will get outta this is experience but may the best man win (GSP that is for me lol :P)

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

GSP by death.

I will second that monkeyballs, I hate Hardy more than George Bush. he is an out an out tool with stupid hair

GSP will take to the ground and destroy him, hardy won't know what hit him,,can't wait I have been waiting for this fight for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlistairOvereem

gsp via murder

Another UFC Star Wishes Death on Former Opponent As Marcus Davis Tweets: I hope Dan Hardy dies of AIDS.
    http://www.fighters.com/03/02/another-ufc-star-wishes-death-on-former-opponent-as-marcus-davis-tweets-i-hope-dan-hardy-dies-of-aids

I think Davis is rooting for GSP here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

can't believe that even after they foughtk, davis still talks smack about hardy. i guess there is absolute hatred there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If they ever fight again, of which I am sure they will, I will watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MMAIRELAND.ORG

We interviewed Marcus recently and one of the questions related to his fight with Dan Hardy. He said it was the lowest point of his career losing to him and hopes that GSP smashes him!

Hardy has a punchers chance and GSP has been knocked out before so you never know.....

Sincerely hope he doesnt mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I honestly cannot see GSP losing, i think the loss to The Terror Serra made him realise that there are no shortcuts ever, to be honest i do not even think that
    Hardy should be getting such a big push so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I honestly cannot see GSP losing, i think the loss to The Terror Serra made him realise that there are no shortcuts ever, to be honest i do not even think that

I agree. On paper it seems that there is a huge disparity in skill between Hardy and GSP, but at 4-0 in the UFC Dan is the only option at WW to challenge for the title.

There are a few interesting aspects to this fight for me;

1st Hardy was supposed to lose to everyone he's fought in the UFC so far, and has stepped up his game each time. There is a lot to be said for a guy who finds a way to win even when he shouldnt.

2nd is Hardys game plan. He has said that he knows he is getting taken down, so isnt going to worry about defending the shot and will just let fly on the feet. Which I think is where Alves went wrong, he is a far superior striker to GSP, but he got outstruck because he held back, worrying about the takedown. Dan has a longer reach then Alves(Although still less then gsp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

vasch_ro wrote: »

tbh i think that hardy himself would perhaps have preferred a couple more fights before a title shot as i think he realises he will be more ready for a fight like this perhaps a year down the road.

however when your offered a title shot your not going to turn it down now are you?

i think once gsp gets through hardy the only good fight left for him at 170 is perhaps a rematch with fitch, or perhaps koscheck (if he can get through daley). still dont think any of these will beat him mind you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

rovert wrote: »
    Another UFC Star Wishes Death on Former Opponent As Marcus Davis Tweets: I hope Dan Hardy dies of AIDS.
    http://www.fighters.com/03/02/another-ufc-star-wishes-death-on-former-opponent-as-marcus-davis-tweets-i-hope-dan-hardy-dies-of-aids

I think Davis is rooting for GSP here.

Thats a terrible thing to say! Does marcus not realise that you can live a lot longer with todays medicines? We would still have to listen to Hardy talk ****e for up to 10 years or more depending how unlucky we were!
    NO!!!!!!!
    Broken neck or octagon related injuries would be ideal!

evil_seed wrote: »
    can't believe that even after they foughtk, davis still talks smack about hardy. i guess there is absolute hatred there

If Hardy mentally ruined me and sent my career on a downward spiral I would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

Im a Big GSP fan but if I could pick any fighter in division to beat GSP right now it would be Hardy, reasons being...

1. mentally GSP himself has said he is weak, and this is prob Hardys great strength, he massively confident.

2. If Matt Serra can do it Hardy can, imagine Hardy vs Serra in a K1 fight? he would ruin him!

3. Hardy wont worry about GSP taking him down, he knows he cant stop it so he will just plant his feet and bang for all hes worth! (that said GSP will prob pin him against the fence, ala Penn fight, and single leg him)

So I wouldnt be massively surprised if Hardy Knocks him out, however the fight will probably go something like...

GSP long stiff jab, into clinch against the fence, drops for his single, passes hardys guard and finishes before the end of the 2nd.

If GSP can slice through Bjj black belts guards easily ( Penn, Serra and
    Fitch) then hardys guard will be almost non exsistent, especially if he is training eddie bravos guard which just will not work with GSPs freakishly strong posture!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ryan Roddy wrote: »
    Im a Big GSP fan but if I could pick any fighter in division to beat GSP right now it would be Hardy, reasons being...

1. mentally GSP himself has said he is weak, and this is prob Hardys great strength, he massively confident.

2. If Matt Serra can do it Hardy can, imagine Hardy vs Serra in a K1 fight? he would ruin him!

3. Hardy wont worry about GSP taking him down, he knows he cant stop it so he will just plant his feet and bang for all hes worth! (that said GSP will prob pin him against the fence, ala Penn fight, and single leg him)

So I wouldnt be massively surprised if Hardy Knocks him out, however the fight will probably go something like...

GSP long stiff jab, into clinch against the fence, drops for his single, passes hardys guard and finishes before the end of the 2nd.

If GSP can slice through Bjj black belts guards easily ( Penn, Serra and
    Fitch) then hardys guard will be almost non exsistent, especially if he is training eddie bravos guard which just will not work with GSPs freakishly strong posture!
    1) Well if you put someone in what their backround against someone who started it much later/ put less of an emphesis on it, you'd be expected to win.
    2) Better wrestlers have been taken down and dominated by Gsp. Hardy will be taken down, off the top of my head 5-6 times in the fight if it goes to the third round.

totally agree that GSP will take him down at will, as he does to everyone in that division....thats why I said Hardy knows he cant stop the takedown? Or did I not make that clear, sorry!

But yeah I think Hardy has the style to possibly beat him, no one can out grapple GSP in that division so a striker is the only real option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

No, not a chance. GSP will take him down at will, beat him up for 2 rounds and finish him in the 3rd via ref stoppage.

...aye more than likely, infact id quite like to see a spectacular sub of some sort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I know what your saying Ryan, basically you cant see him losing on the ground so the best chance of him been beat is by a striker, and there is no doubt that Hardy has good hands and could KO an opponent if he connects.. The whole thing is if he can keep it standing or not, most likely not though.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 joeybull

is the new season of tuf on any of the sky channels?

UFC Primetime St. Pierre vs. Hardy Part One:
    http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/12626/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I hope GSP humiliates him. Hardy is too cocky for his own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I like Hardy and GSP so either way, I'm going to be pretty happy with whatever happens here but my head won't allow me to even consider Hardy winning. On paper, GSP is on a completely different level to Hardy (and most fighters at 170 to be fair) but I just can't write Hardy off.

I thought Davis would be too much for Hardy. Hardy was a convincing winner (and I met the guy the day after the fight - hardly a mark on him after three rounds with Marcus Davis).
    I thought Mike Swick was much too much for Hardy. He dominated him.

I think GSP will hammer Hardy but I'll be quite happy to be wrong and I can't quite bring myself to write Hardy off either.

I'm hoping it'll be a great fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

by the sounds of it GSP has trained for this fight like no other ,hooking up with Renzo Gracie (including Gunnar Nelson), the Boston guys as well as his typical Greg Jackson group.

Hardy is so much of an underdog I just have to hope for a miracle but i think Thales Leithes had a much better chance of beating Anderson silva than hardy does beating GSP.

Renzo Gracie himself looks in great shape and years younger than he did a year ago.

I knew it was coming but I died laughing at the big reveal of
    Serra
    on that Primetime episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I expected Hardy to get beaten in his last two fights but as far as I remember he hurt both opponents early and they never seemedto fully recover. (pretty sure thats what happened with Swick, maybe it was a cut on davis? ).
    I would like to see both of those rematches as I am still shocked.

Maybe he will catch GSP early too, and unless he does imo the longer the fight goes on the slimmer his chances will be.
    Would be absolutely gutted with anything less than a GSP masterclass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I wouldnt even give Hardy a chance against Thiago Alves and GSP dominated him throughout their fight. Hopefully after the knockout GSP gives him an extra dig just to shut him up.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

God i hope GSP shuts this guy up. As commented above-i would not even give him a chance against Thiago Alves or Jon Fitch(which btw is gonna be a WAR-can't wait for that one) Can't help but think he got the title shot to help expand the brand etc. Its gonna be sweet to see that smug grin knocked from his face.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

baz123 wrote: »
    Can't help but think he got the title shot to help expand the brand etc.

They had a number one contender's fight scheduled with Swick vs Kampmann, but then Kampmann got injured and Hardy beat Swick. Kampmann then got beaten in the meantime by Daley. So Hardy is the most deserving in the division, unless you want to do a Fitch or Alves rematch already. But I don't see the point in that, both guys were completely dominated by GSP. At least Hardy's bringing something new

• Advertisement
Advertisement