Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting Game Forum Heads to Cannes for World Game Cup!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

On the 4th of March 14 Irish players from the Fighting Game Forum and the Irish Fighting Game Community will head over to Cannes, France to participate in the World Game Cup, arguably the largest Fighting Game tournament in Europe.
    Win more than 10.000 € in Cash Prize Money!!

The World Game Cup's goal is to bring together the best fighting game players in the world for 5 days of intense competition.
    It is held in the world renowned Palais des Festivals in Cannes, during the "Festival International des Jeux" (The International Games Festival).
    This international event will feature solo tournaments, team tournaments, and exhibition matches.
    As it is also intended to be a public event, all the tournaments will be open - for free - to the festival's general audience.

Fight Your Way Up in MANY Tournaments:
    BlazBlue, Capcom vs SNK 2, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, Hokuto no Ken, The King Of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match, The King Of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match, The King Of Fighters XI, The King Of Fighters XII, Soulcalibur IV, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6

See our website for more details: http://www.worldgamecup.com

Our players will mostly be competing in the Street Fighter IV Solo & 2v2 category's but we also have players who will be fighting in Street Fighter III : Third Strike and Blazblue. Competition at the tournment will be extremely high with some of the best players from Europe, America and even Japan coming to fight, including the famous Diago "The Beast" Umehara (Jpn) and Justin Wong (US).

Despite the tough competition we have some very high level fighters heading over so we should be able to cause some trouble for even these well established international players, with what is (to our knowledge) the first significant Irish presence at an international fighting game tournament. Here are our fighters;
    • Blag (M Bison)
    • Coblecog (Cammy)
    • Chopperbyrne (Honda / El Furete)
    • Chunkis (Ryu / Sagat)
    • Doctor Doom (Guile)
    • Dreddy (Zangief)
    • Fake Roogle (Balrog)
    • Jimeatsmenu (Cammy)
    • Liquidsword (Fei Long)
    • New Type (Ryu)
    • Orim (Chun Li)
    • Ry (Ryu / C Viper)
    • V Deck (Rufus)
    • Xinkai (Sakura / Ryu)

Blag (Bison) V New Type (Ryu)

Coblecog (Cammy) V Bush (Chun Li)

Fake Roogle (Balrog) V Doctor Doom (Guile)

Chunkis (Sagat / Ryu) V Dreddy (Zangief)

If anyone has any interest in fighting games head on over to the Fighting Game Forum. We have casual meetups once or twice a week in XGC, Liffey St, Dublin and there are regular tournaments in the form of Inferno Ranbats (Dublin) and Dragonslayers (Belfast). Keep an eye on the forum for info on all these events. There's no skill discrimination here so feel free to post and come to any of the events if you think you're the best or are a brand new player looking for some friendly games or advice!

704545907D414D1DBCEA69F385C01D81-800.jpg

675B0910DE0F45CF816CDB33871159D9-800.jpg

9DBAC653BF88447DA0295891A3BE9025-800.jpg

E85BB59878A24AA2A8CEDF75C177830B-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Going to keep this thread updated with all our news and progress while we're over in Cannes :)

Only 4 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Good idea Jim, I heartily approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Good luck guys, get that hype train rolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I have high hopes for you guys....I'm totally gutted not to be going.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This thread has me so hyped right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I feel the stress already :D:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

All the best guys!

I expect some top notch anecdotes upon your return.

bonne chance! (see what i did there...!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Good luck lads, have a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Pity that Cunny-Funt guy aint going over, I hear he's a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Sisko wrote: »
    Pity that Cunny-Funt guy aint going over, I hear he's a gay.

People and their typos :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ah jaysus highlighted in bold and everything.. What, did he beast you too Ramza? :eek:

Good luck lads, I'll be watching this thread like the envious hawk that I'll be over the up coming week. Kick some arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Itd be amazing if they could get some streaming going!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

good luck all of ya! Pity, I'd live to join you all... :(

Please do get recordings! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Arr, wish I was going over, if only to weigh your teams down in the averages so you get easier opponents =D
    Good luck dudes! Grab me a lock of Daigos hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

G'luck with your adventures in french land lads. We'll be expecting videos of ye beating at least one of the japanese players each ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Xinkai wrote: »
    I feel the stress already :D:p:pac:
    Don't you dare represent Irish BlazBlue badly, you gotta kick some foreign ass! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Good luck men! Give us some payback for Henry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Great post Jim! Best of luck to all heading over..Will keep the fingers crossed for some good results to post ;)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

G'luck guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If only i had my passport....
    good luck to y'all.

Remember to take a metric ton of photos and hours of film, and not just of the games.

I'm gonna repost the op (with credit) in a few spots.

• Advertisement

Vyze wrote: »
    Don't you dare represent Irish BlazBlue badly, you gotta kick some foreign ass! :P

How good can the French be at a game that hasn't even been released... Oh hold on i forgot about Tin :P Don't forget Vyze I'm #1 in the REPUBLIC of Ireland! xD

Xinkai wrote: »
    How good can the French be at a game that hasn't even been released... Oh hold on i forgot about Tin :P Don't forget Vyze I'm #1 in the REPUBLIC of Ireland! xD
    I bet chopper has been secretly playing Blazblue for the past few months in the hopes he can do better than you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jim wrote: »
    I bet chopper has been secretly playing Blazblue for the past few months in the hopes he can do better than you :pac:

Not a chance.

Although I could possibly beat Xinkai by just mashing with this guy:
    blazbluearakune.jpg

That's grand i need a warmup!!! See you wednesday!!! haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do us proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Best of luck lads. I wish I was goin :( !!

Woke up this morning with the flu. First time I've been sick since swine flu last summer. I reckon the French fear us so much they sent Tin over to infect me before the tourny :pac:

Vicks & Berrocca man, best duo ever. Were not gonna lose the Jimster 2 days before the tourney are we!?

STAY TUNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Wow, how exciting. Must be great to be involved. It reminds me of this

Go team USA Boardsie's.

Best of luck Lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

That song makes me think that we need a good montage for the trip.

Advertisement