Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blueberry Oat Muffins

• 28-02-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Having become a complete convert of Rubadub's famous Oat Pancakes, I've been searching around for other tasty treats that could be made a little healthier with some added oat goodness. I had a bit of a craving for a blueberry muffin this morning so I thought that was as good a place as any to start oatifying.

To avoid any claims of plagurism I'll say my recipe is heavily inspired by this one, but I've made some minor tweaks here and there.

What you will need:
    1 x Bowl
    1 x Wooden Spoon
    1 x Cake Baking Tray
    12 x Muffin Cases (I just used the standard Rice Krispie bun size ones but I guess the deeper you can find the better)

Ingredients:
    100g Oatmeal (Quaker Oats or similar)
    125g Plain Flour (You could use wholemeal here, I didn't have any on hand but will try it out with the next batch)
    6g Splenda (or 65g of Sugar, that's not a typo Splenda only uses a 10th of the amount of sugar for the same level of sweetness)
    15g Baking Powder
    3g Salt
    230ml Semi Skimmed Milk
    1 Whole Egg
    50ml Vegetable Oil
    (not something I use much of but you really don't want to be using Olive Oil in a sweet recipe like this)
    150g Blueberries

Instructions:
    • Turn your oven on to preheat at 220 degrees. It should be ready to use once you have the mixture ready.
    • Bung all the dry ingredients (oats, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder) into a bowl and quickly mix them through.
    • Add the milk, egg and oil into the mixture and again give it a quick mix. Just long enough for all the dry ingredients to be moistened. Over mixing at this stage can cause problems when it comes to baking.
    • Before you add the blueberries you can dust them in some plain flour which will stop them sinking to the bottom of the mixture. It's an optional step but some people seem to swear by it. Anyhoo floured or not, add the blueberries to the mixture and fold them in. Take a look at the fold hyperlink if you are unsure as to what that means.
    • Once mixed, start spooning the mix into the muffin cakes. You don't want to fill them right to the top as they will rise when baking. About 2/3's will probably do the trick. You should just have exactly the right amount of mixture to fill the 12 cups.
    • Stick them in the oven for about 20 mins. Depending on your oven you may want to start checking them from about 15 mins onwards. To test if they are ready you can put a toothpick or knife through the centre, if it comes out clean you are good to go.
    • It is best to leave the muffins to cool down first before eating (although I never seem to manage that myself). If they are still a bit soft a couple of hours in the fridge will do them the world of good.

Here's some pics of my finished creations. Nyom Nyom Nyom....

DSC_0006_1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

And even better news is that assuming 12 muffins from the above ingredients, each one is only about 130 kCal. Winner!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

They look yum. I love baking and blueberry muffins, but haven't done much in a while down to trying to lose weight with weight watchers.

130 cals seems good! Wonder what sat fat is and how many points in a muffin? Thats why I've quit baking - find it so hard to work out the points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Oh they look fab thanks for posting the recipe! I too am a complete oatmeal pancake nut since I discovered Rubadub's recipe!

Just want to add...in the above recipe you use blueberries, but I've found them hard to come by and sometimes expensive in the past. I've recently discovered that Aldi have been making tinned blackcurrants for 69c, just rinse, dry and dust them with flour (so they don't fall to the bottom), and they'd make a great substitute!

They are also yum in those pancakes!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Do you think I could replace the flour??

Going to make them tomorrow and report back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I currently have these in the oven, have used wholemeal flour, and didn't have any veg oil. The only oil in the house was olive, sesame and groundnut, so used the groundnut so god only knows how they will turn out - will report back later. Thanks for the recipe OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Made them today, replaced the flour with milled flax and the veg oil with sunflower oil!!!

Very very tasty, thanks a million!!!

DSC00952.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it okay if I bump this thread..?

I just made muffins! Using the OP's recipe, I mean. Well, I added in some raspberries as well...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fair dues!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Yum I made a very tasty batch last week.
    Wondered about substituting the veg oil with something else or adjust the oil/milk ratio as I used skimmed milk it's much less calorie/fat. I added some flax seed and chopped walnuts though.
    Think you could use that base with a lot of different fruit/nut combos

Advertisement