Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVENT 20-21/04/2010 : IFI Anime Weekend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GuardianDemon

Fair enough !! Guess i read the article wrong !! Thanks for the correction :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was actually just wondering (and secretly fearing) that all the films would be dubbed, so cheers for the clarification :)

I would have been very disappointed if Eva started up and the voices were English!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I wonder with the Panel, is it just going to be when 5cm ends we stay seated and have the Panel in the theater, or is it hosted elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Numina wrote: »
    I wonder with the Panel, is it just going to be when 5cm ends we stay seated and have the Panel in the theater, or is it hosted elsewhere?
    Very likely in the theatre.
    Probably the guests sitting at the screen, with a microphone being passed around for questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Hotaru wrote: »
    From the Eirtakon forums:

Just to confirm that - as I programmed the weekend and agreed with the licensors what materials would be used I can confirm again that all films shown will be in Japanese with English subtitles.

For fans of Evangelion or those looking for extra incentive to come along for Evangelion 2.0 please note:

We're using the 35mm festival print with English subtitles which means you will find that after the credits is the same theatrical trailer shown in Japanese cinemas for Evangelion 3.0 as well! So I'd suggest you stay until the credits are finished. I checked this earlier this month as we're using the same reel I used at the Glasgow Film Festival screening.

There will also be a workshop from Jonathan Clements on both days but I need to confirm the details for booking a place on that, I'll post it up afterwards for anyone interested in taking part. Spaces will be limited to 15 places on each day for the workshop element.

Enjoy ^^!

- Andrew Partridge,
    Beez Entertainment / IFI Anime Weekend's programmer
    This is excellent news! Just ordered tickets to all 6 screenings. ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Numina wrote: »
    They've completely redrawn tons of scenes, just look at this http://doanimation.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/new-vs-old-evangelion-side-by-side-comparison/

That is interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 leonardbenn

gearoidof wrote: »
    Seems the IFI rae doing an anime weekend on the 20th and 21st, they're showing:

EVA 1.11
    5 cm per second
    EVA 2.0
    The girl who leapt through time
    Gundam Unicorn followed by Blood: the Last Vampire
    Summer Wars

I'mma go to 2 of those, I think

cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GuardianDemon

Very likely in the theatre.
    Probably the guests sitting at the screen, with a microphone being passed around for questions.

Sorry, guys, i've never been to one of these things before, so your gonna have to explain what the ''Panel'' is to me !!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

This is very relevent to my interest! Are these events held bi-annually? Wasn't there one last August?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Sorry, guys, i've never been to one of these things before, so your gonna have to explain what the ''Panel'' is to me !!:pac:
    It's basically a presentation & discussion chaired by a speaker, with questions from the audience (either throughout or at the end).
    barura wrote: »
    This is very relevent to my interest! Are these events held bi-annually? Wasn't there one last August?
    In the IFI? They had one last March, they said this is their second.. so not that I know of, but if wrong I'd really like to hear about this, to plan for society trips.

Also, they're doing an extra panel on anime writing Saturday morning.
    Details in short are:

Workshop name: Think like an Anime Writer
    Date(s): 20th and 21st of March
    Times: 10:00 to 12:30 latest
    Where: The IFI, Cinema 3
    Cost: €8

Description:

In this workshop, Jonathan Clements puts delegates through a real-life brainstorming process to create the outline of a new animated TV show for a fictional corporation. They will experience the joy of new ideas and the misery of unwelcome truths from company accountants. Their storyline will be subjected to due diligence from many real-world perspectives – as well as standard craft concerns, they will be made to consider the effects of design, packaging, advertising, budgets, spin-offs, legal issues, broadcast paradigms, foreign market, audience reception and earlier precedents.

Call the IFI Box Office on (01) 679 3477 or go in to book your place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Please come to cork ;)

Sure, we'll just put the IFI on the back of a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Special package price of €47 (€42 members) for all 6 screenings. Regular admissions apply. Students/Under 16s: €5

So I take it this means it's regular admission per film on top of the €47? Or could a student go to each movie for just €5 each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

OctavarIan wrote: »
    So I take it this means it's regular admission per film on top of the €47? Or could a student go to each movie for just €5 each?

Each film is 5 euro for a student anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Went to see the Evangelion movies today. It was a great day and both movies were excellent. 2.0 branches a fair bit off from the original series (as much as I remember anyways). But that isn't a complaint in any way.

Eva 2.0 was incredible! Almost as good as End of Evangelion.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭lizardfudge

Yep. The EVA movies were fantastic. Really gripping. Although I'm not overly sure about the massive plot changes 2.0 is making... but it will be interesting to see where they're going with it all.

Looks like a lot of people went with the package price which unfortunately meant a lot of bored f*ckwits fidgeting about during 5cm Per Second, which was a beautiful little film, even if the music video ending was a bit naff.

Some idiot beside me was playing with his phone all the way through 5CM Per Second. Very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Eva 2.0 - Amazing.

Kaji & Shinji scene = lulz.

e_e wrote: »
    Some idiot beside me was playing with his phone all the way through 5CM Per Second. Very annoying.

Same here. Had to tell him off... total pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

5CM per Second was great alright - I really like Shinkai's films, they are surprisingly emotionally affecting. The first segment in particular really drew me in. I like the fact that his recurrent themes (space travel, finding beauty in the mundane, childhood/teenage dreams) are making him an animator with a very individual voice.

As for Eva, as I said in the other thread a wonderful show. 1.11 is basically the TV show opening with purttier effects, but boy are they purty. 2.0 is altogether more wonderful though, definitely dispels any doubts about the Rebuild.

And more tomorrow! Get a bit more of a lie in by skipping The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (I'd go if I hadn't seen it already), but Summer Wars should be good, and curious to get my first taste of Gundam (barring being lucky enough to see the giant one in Tokyo :D)!

I did like the comparison that was drawn in the panel between 5cm per Second and Evangellion.

One is about your train being late and the other is about the end of the world... but as a teenager your train being late and you missing out on the girl is the end of the world.

Oh and I only spotted the thread here today... we must try and meet for a beer afterward tomorrow. I spotted Butterscotch in their cosplay.. fair play!

I'm easy to spot in my brown fedora though.

Apologies to the one person who did spot me today... I had 10 missed calls from my mother upon leaving 5cm Per Second and thought some disaster had happened.. ha...

I'm easy to spot in my brown fedora though.

Apologies to the one person who did spot me today... I had 10 missed calls from my mother upon leaving 5cm Per Second and thought some disaster had happened.. ha...

I thought I recognised you from somewhere alright (must have seen you at a boards beers or something one time). I often see a hatted man (always hatted) at film festivals and the such and think "oh, that must be monkey/lizardfuge" :pac:

I thought I recognised you from somewhere alright (must have seen you at a boards beers or something one time). I often see a hatted man (always hatted) at film festivals and the such and think "oh, that must be monkey/lizardfuge" :pac:

Ha. There was another guy in a hat there today though. Who oddly didn't take their hat off during the films.

Ha. There was another guy in a hat there today though. Who oddly didn't take their hat off during the films.

Yeah, I was sat behind that guy for 2.0, was slightly confused by his non-hat-removing. During the Eva panel when they were talking about merchandise, I had a desperate urge to lift up friends NERV messenger bag.

Well... I'll bring my monkey with me tomorrow just to be sure.

If anyone is up for a beer after the screenings look for the table with this chap on it:

373923193_82acaae8db.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

5cm/s:
    While it was a bit annoying having your man on the phone's illumination in the corner of my eye, I still think it was a grand audience, no popcorn, chatting, punching in back of head :P.

The subtitling annoyed me though, I know it's petty of me, but having the 'y's mis-aligned and the odd fadeout effect got on my nerves a bit.
    this_isnt_even_funny-small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

5cm was disappointing. I had only seen Shinkai's Other World short before so I was going in with great expectations of him too.
    The transition between shorts was incoherent, the character designs were horrid and sometimes just baffling, the dialogue was overdramatic, and the third segment and its accompanying music was a kick in the balls.

At the same time, there were particular elements I really liked. Some of the small observational details, the instrumental soundtrack, the beautiful backgrounds and sound design, the haunting atmosphere, and the 'Cosmonaut' piece as a stand-alone work.

Really enjoyed the panel discussion as well, have always loved Clements' articles and reviews.

So what did people think of today?

Gundam Unicorn and Blood were a bit 'meh. The first was lightly enjoyable, but basically just a cheesy giant robot anime with ludicrously dense backstory (by the end I had no idea who was who, and why they were doing what they were doing, or who they were doing it to, and why they were doing it to them). Blood was OK, but not helped by the awful English voice acting.

Really liked Summer Wars though. Unwiedly, yes. But over-ambition added a lot of character to it I thought. The cast was huge, and while some of them were sometimes ignored (what happened to the female protagonist in the second act?) they all had lots of character. The social networking themes worked well, the direction was great. But I loved the mixture of the mundane and the fantastical - a rather touching family saga side to side with a sort of technology apocalypse. It worked well, and while it my have been a bit all over the place on occasion, I very much enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Already one of my favorite animes. Was a charm seeing it again.
    Gundam Unicorn - Way too ordinary and generic compared to Evangelion. Didn't get me involved.
    Blood - Yeah 'twas alright. Way too short though, if it had of been stretched by another ten to twenty minutes it could have been better.
    Summer Wars - Wonderful! I'm still buzzing from it. :)

Advertisement