Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Pen's

Options
  • 28-02-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if any one has any advice on where to buy and what too look out for , long story short I might be getting a puppy ( more than likly akita) I was looking at the one in the Argos catalogue but it seem a tad bit small , and it said not for new born puppies at what age does a puppy stop being a new born ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cracker180

Try ebay- they will come from across the water but you have better choice and sizes. prices are much better but watch the delivery as they sometimes try to catch you.

we have a cage for ours rather than a pen and it sleeps in there. he loves it and it was great for toilet training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

cheers I'll have a look on ebay now , I allready have a cage for sleeping but thats going to be in my room which is up stairs so moving it downstairs is a bit of a pain (it's the large one so it has to be folded up to move ) I was looking at a pen as an alterative to another cage mainly because I thought there would be more floor space but it’s looking like the difference is marginal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some pens aren't strong enough for bigger puppies so probably better off with another crate downstairs. Most pet shops sell crates now, I've found the black ones (can't remember the brand name) with the metal tray very sturdy they started at 65 for the smallest one and about 15 to 20 quid more as you go up each size.

cilldara.ie also do dog crates, also strong puppy pens but they're for outside.

Some pens aren't strong enough for bigger puppies so probably better off with another crate downstairs. Most pet shops sell crates now, I've found the black ones (can't remember the brand name) with the metal tray very sturdy they started at 65 for the smallest one and about 15 to 20 quid more as you go up each size.

cilldara.ie also do dog crates, also strong puppy pens but they're for outside.
    I have to say the argos one looks strong enough (it looks like the same one they sell for kids :D ) but the floor space is about the same as the large cage :( I think your right another cage does seem to be what is called for

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I've never used one myself but in all fairness, I can't see the play pen being that much use for an Akita. You'll be getting the pup around the 10weeks mark and by then it's the same size as a full grown cavalier. By 6 months an Akita will be at least 18 inches tall and very boisterous. It'd need to be a very big & very strong indoor play pen otherwise he'll grow out of it in no time.

As for the crates, the extra large size is about €110-€125 and most of them come with a divider so that you don't have to give your pup the full crate size and you can adjust it as it grows. If the crate is too big, there's a higher chance of the pup soiling it and it defeats the purpose of crate training to begin with.

• Advertisement

adser53 wrote: »
    I've never used one myself but in all fairness, I can't see the play pen being that much use for an Akita. .

That’s what i was thinking , the only strong ones i can find are so small that the larger crates have about the same floor area , and the big ones are just flimsy wire. I wanted it as an aid for house training and a place to keep him/her when I cant give the run of the house (I have two nieces and a nephew the youngest 2 are too young to understand that not every dog is as tolerant of them as their rottie ) I have a cage for his/her night time sleeping but thats going to be in my room which is upstairs so i wanted some where to keep hime downstairs where he is still around the family

adser53 wrote: »
    As for the crates, the extra large size is about €110-€125 and most of them come with a divider so that you don't have to give your pup the full crate size and you can adjust it as it grows. If the crate is too big, there's a higher chance of the pup soiling it and it defeats the purpose of crate training to begin with.
    That sounds like a good idea the one i have allready i got in argos a few years ago has no devider , (I got it with the intention of getting a pup but for various reasons it didn’t happen although I did keep a pup in it for a few weeks while I was waiting for a place in a rescue to open up whilst older than 10 weeks the pup held it in over night opting to wake me at 6 instead of peeing on his bed:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've the argo black foldable pen and it deffo wouldn't hold a bouncy puppy for long it's not even suitable for rabbits. I put a bun in it and he climber straight out the top.

Advertisement