Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS Delivery Question

Options
  • 28-02-2010 3:45pm

Hey all,

Posting this in consumer issues as i can't think of anywhere more suitable, but I'm not complaining about UPS.

I was just wondering though, i bought a guitar starter kit from Thomann.de/ie, based in Germany. They shipped with UPS express and it arrived in Dublin. I'm expecting it will arrive at my house tomorrow morning.

Thing is, there'll be no one here.

So I'm wondering, what will UPS do? Will they throw it in next door? Hold onto it for themselves and give me a phone number? Pass it on to An Post's office and let me collect it myself?

Never really dealt with UPS before so just looking for a bit of insight.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When they attempt to deliver, they will leave a notice. On the notice is a web address where you can stipulate an alternative address.

I did this a few weeks ago and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They *might* try to leave it with a neighbour, but more likely than not, they'll leave a missed delivery notice, giving you rescheduling options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I am in the same boat. Won't be at home tomorrow and expecting a package from Germany with UPS. As far as I know if you are not in they won't deliver for a number of days later or is that a myth?

I'm not sure. Hopefully they'll try throwing it in next door. There's gonna be someone here for the rest of the week, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I use them all of the time.

Call them first thing in the morning and inform them of the delvery address change and they might change for you there and then and re-route. If not there and then they will arrange with you for next day or the day after.

They are usually pretty good with this.

• Advertisement

I use them all of the time.

Call them first thing in the morning and inform them of the delvery address change and they might change for you there and then and re-route. If not there and then they will arrange with you for next day or the day after.

They are usually pretty good with this.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

why are so many people afraid to call the relevant company with their query and go onto a message board first?

Assuming you have the tracking number, UPS is so computerised they can tell exactly where your parcel is at that particular minute. Ring them, tell them which day you are in and they'll tag the parcel with the relevant information. You can even get them to deliver to another address unless the sender has specified otherwise.

Out of all the courier companies UPS are by far the best for service and a quick phonecall will sort out the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

91011 wrote: »
    why are so many people afraid to call the relevant company with their query and go onto a message board first?

Assuming you have the tracking number, UPS is so computerised they can tell exactly where your parcel is at that particular minute. Ring them, tell them which day you are in and they'll tag the parcel with the relevant information. You can even get them to deliver to another address unless the sender has specified otherwise.

Out of all the courier companies UPS are by far the best for service and a quick phonecall will sort out the issue.

+1 Ive done this myself, they will change the address unless (obviously) the parcels already been delivered next door. If its sent needing a signature they will probably try the neighbours. If not they normally just leave a non delivered card. IN my experience after 2 delivery attempts they charge extra though.

I rang them this morning to confirm that the parcel was going to be delivered today, and got nowhere with them. Literally, got no information at all off them.

I much prefer to hear people's experience.

I rang them this morning to confirm that the parcel was going to be delivered today, and got nowhere with them. Literally, got no information at all off them.

Really? That's really strange. I have no problems ever getting info out of them and getting the parcel re-directed. By their own practice they should have given you full details and helped you out. They are usually pretty good, you obviously got the one tosser who doesn't like helping people even though they are paid to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Did you have your tracking / reference number - without this they can't do anything whatsoever.

You can also track it on-line - it gives up to the minute information, but again without a reference / tracing number its not possible.

Did you have your tracking / reference number - without this they can't do anything whatsoever.

You can also track it on-line - it gives up to the minute information, but again without a reference / tracing number its not possible.

If they told the OP that it was on time Im going to go out on a limb and say yes the OP had the tracking number or reference number.

I feel you are missing the point of the OPs problem.
    Thing is, there'll be no one here.

So I'm wondering, what will UPS do? Will they throw it in next door? Hold onto it for themselves and give me a phone number? Pass it on to An Post's office and let me collect it myself?

This is what the OP said so its the details beyond what the Online status will show. Like changing the destination etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My parcel was a windows 7 upgrade from germany.

I took the tracking number on the missed delivery slip, and followed the instructions to change the delivery address. Got it at the alternate address 24 hours later.

After all my package was not delivered at all. And according to the online tracking it is in England. When I rang they said it is in Dublin. The tracking on mine is very bad.

I didn't get mine either. According to Thomann.de/ie my package has been in Dublin since Saturday. UPS updated saying it was in Dublin on Sunday. Now it seems that UPS are saying the package only arrived in Dublin today at 18:15.

If it has only arrived today at 18:15, is it likely I'll get it tomorrow? or will it be wednesday?

EDIT:

Question guys;

It says my package is 'In Transit' and should be delivered on the scheduled delivery date... does anyone know where I can find the scheduled delivery date? I registered with them hoping that would give me more information, but it doesn't show up..?

Seems mine didn't move according to online tracking.

Got mine

Also got mine yesterday.

Rang them yesterday morning, too. This time with much better results. Got told that my package was supposed to have been delivered monday (not sure how, as their site says it didn't arrive in Dublin til 18:15?!) but for some reason, despite it departing from Dublin, it just disappeared. He said I should have it today (tuesday) and right he was indeed.

Much better than the first time i rang them.

I don't find their tracking system the best. Loads of unearthly times showed up on mine and it was not updated regularly.

Advertisement