Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Bass Amp Advice

• 28-02-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a new amp was wondering what amp you guys recommend..? I was thinking something around 40 watt... My budget 150e
    What do yous recommend..? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

rower2K8 wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new amp was wondering what amp you guys recommend..? I was thinking something around 40 watt... My budget 150e
    What do yous recommend..? Cheers
    Somthing like a second hand ashdown mag. Brilliant amps for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

or any of the roland budget range too - great practice amps if you dont need anything big.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

If you plan on playing in a band then might as well get a decent amp so that you will be heard. 40W wouldnt cut it but would be grand for practice at home. I use an Ashdown at home and I think they are good amps. I also use Fenders for practice and gigging and they did the job fine. The Behringers are ok and give good value for money but wouldnt be my cup of tea.

I'd go second hand and get as good an amp as you possibly can but let your own ears decide. If you can try out a few in a music store and see if you can source it cheaper online or 2nd hand.

I sold a Fender Bassman 100w yesterday for €150. There are plenty of good bass amps over on adverts at the moment. I seen an Ashdown 300w go for €180 there recently as well.

The biggest danger is buying your 40w and a few months down the road you realise it wont be good enough to jam with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I agree with getting a more powerful amp. Better to be able to lower the volume than not have enough. Also, a +1 for Ashdown. Good amps for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rower2K8

Cheers lads for the replys yeah i think yous are right im gona go louder ill b happyer in the long run ha em yeah i dont buying second hand im gona do a bit more research on the ashdowns but what i have read so far they sound good. Thanks again lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I'm considering a Bass amp too, but primarily for guitar. I might pick up a Bass at some stage, and I'm also looking for a new guitar amp - having two amps could be a bollocks.

Not sure what to get though, I'd like something affordable, compact and Solid State that can give me an SVT-ish tone when overdriven.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Sandvich wrote: »
    I'm considering a Bass amp too, but primarily for guitar. I might pick up a Bass at some stage, and I'm also looking for a new guitar amp - having two amps could be a bollocks.

Not sure what to get though, I'd like something affordable, compact and Solid State that can give me an SVT-ish tone when overdriven.

That Fender Bassman that I sold was very popular with guitar players in the past. Gave them a very distinctive tone I believe. Not sure what the newer crop of Fender bassmans & Rumbles do for guitar players though.

Might be worth checking them out.

I personally like the rumbles. However there not the most flexible of amps in my opinion. Sound great and are defiantly loud enough for gigging though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

+1 on Fender Bassmans. I've used Ashdowns in the past, started off with an EB1x15 and then an ABM 4x10, have to say the tone is better on the EB. The 4x10 I found was a bit muddy which admittedly wasn't helped by my bass.

I recently picked up a 150w Bassman and the sound off it is amazing, would definitely recommend. Comparing Rumbles to Bassmans (Bassmen? :P), I did a bit of research before buying and people generally seem to prefer the Bassman.

yevveh wrote: »
    +1 on Fender Bassmans. I've used Ashdowns in the past, started off with an EB1x15 and then an ABM 4x10, have to say the tone is better on the EB. The 4x10 I found was a bit muddy which admittedly wasn't helped by my bass.

I recently picked up a 150w Bassman and the sound off it is amazing, would definitely recommend. Comparing Rumbles to Bassmans (Bassmen? :P), I did a bit of research before buying and people generally seem to prefer the Bassman.
    Thats very strange indeed. Usually a 4x10 would have a much more pronounced tone than a 1X15.....and the abm are of much higher quality than the electric blue series also...

Have an abm 4X10 myself....never ever had a problem with muddiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Patricide wrote: »
    Thats very strange indeed. Usually a 4x10 would have a much more pronounced tone than a 1X15.....and the abm are of much higher quality than the electric blue series also...

Have an abm 4X10 myself....never ever had a problem with muddiness.

As I said, the bass doesn't help. I've got a Sandberg JM on order (should be arriving any day!) so I'm going to compare the ABM to the Bassman when I get it. All the guys in the band were saying about how the tone was clearer on the EB, I was surprised after just getting the ABM. All I can say in my experience is to go Fender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sixman

hey all, i have an ashdown evo 2 500 210 combo and a 15 also its savage very all round amp. well worth the money, but recently the volume knobs are krackling alot. any advice on how to fix this? i have sprayed them with contact cleaner but krakling comes back after a while. cheers

Advertisement