Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC wireless problems

• 28-02-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all

I just changed to UPC last week. During the installation the technician had a problem getting my the wireless to work consistency.

On initial installation everything worked fine but soon (before he left) it failed on both the Laptop and the desktop (using a wireless adapter) to the Laptop.

Both had no problem with the previous ISP.

Messing about for a while I got it working ...happy days.

Not!

My Desktop seems to work ok but I cannot seem to get the Laptop connected. Well I lie, occasionally it does with no changes but then drops out. I can connect in wired state but not wireless.

I've tried every thing on the laptop that I can find to no avail.

Funny thing is I get a good signal and can connect OK its just I can't access the internet.

Anyone any idea where to go.

(I'm waiting for a call from a tech but I'd like to get it sorted now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

No ideas people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

What modem are you using?

Other details would help-operating system, mac filtering, encryption type etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have you tried changing the wireless channel?

its possible something is interferring with the signal on the channel you are using currently, which is a very common problem if there are other wireless users in your immediate area, or even things like dect phones, bluetooth, baby monitors and tv senders as well as a host of other wireless devices that share the 2.4ghz spectrum which your wifi uses.

try a few different wireless channels and see how it goes. oh and make sure you have an ethernet cable handy to undo changes in case you lose wireless connectivity completely after changing channel. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

vibe666 wrote: »
    have you tried changing the wireless channel?

its possible something is interferring with the signal on the channel you are using currently, which is a very common problem if there are other wireless users in your immediate area, or even things like dect phones, bluetooth, baby monitors and tv senders as well as a host of other wireless devices that share the 2.4ghz spectrum which your wifi uses.

try a few different wireless channels and see how it goes. oh and make sure you have an ethernet cable handy to undo changes in case you lose wireless connectivity completely after changing channel. :)

Use this program to check the wireless activity in your area, it will show what channels they are on etc..

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

mehmeh12...
    The modem is a Cisco epc2425
    I'm using Vista.
    I've turned off encryption (I read this in another thread here) but still to no avail.

vibe666...
    I did try change the channels as I found another network using my channel but it did not improve things.

IrishTonyO...
    Downloading that now I'll let you know how I get on.
    Picked up two networks and we're on different channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you try turning off the firewall (briefly) on the laptop?

Yep I did that...no help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

crazydude wrote: »
    vibe666...
    I did try change the channels as I found another network using my channel but it did not improve things.
    you'll need to try all the possible channels to be sure. just because you can't see another wifi AP on the same exact channel it doesn't mean that it's free and clear for you to use without the possibility of interference. between overlapping channels and other devices using the 2.4ghz band, you could be swamped in interference and not even know it.

the chances are that some channels won't work at all and some will work intermittently, but wth a little luck you'll find one on a clear enough channel to keep a stable connection.

of course, it could just be that the cisco wireless is crap, but it's still worth giving it a go.

when I first moved into my current house there were hardly any wifi AP's within range of me and everything was great, but I've had to change my wireless channel 4 times since then due to interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 antogrimes

crazydude wrote: »
    Yep I did that...no help

Hi Crazydude,

having an identical issue, and UPC support are woeful.
    Did you get this sorted?

Hi antogrimes

I did...sort of.

The UPC tech bought me a Netgear wireless modem in PC World. Turned off the wiireless on the UPC Modem and connected it to the Netgear. My wireless now comes via this.

This works and I connect with no problem to this. Speed suffered a little but at least it works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The 2425 is a fairly crap router, and sometimes whatever problem exists simply can't be fixed (except by replacement). All of this should be covered in the sticky thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement