Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where to buy a xbox? Best deals?

• 28-02-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hi,

I am looking into getting an xbox (maybe an elite).
    Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to pick one up? In store / online etc...

I have shopped around but seeing as there are so many different types I am not sure what to get.

I do not own a HDTV and do not plan on getting one anytime soon, I would probably be downloading movies and want to store the games on the harddrive so that there are no loading times (bloody microsoft!!).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is only two types really, the Arcade and Elite. The only differences with the Eites is what size hard drive do you want.

Personally I'd go with 120Gb elite model.

There will always be loading times weather you install a game or not. It makes little difference to loading times in most games. The only real advantage of installing a game is so the noisy disc drive won't be spinning as you are playing a game.

There is no point in you downloading movies through Live as they are all in HD and you don't have a HDTV, the cost won't be worth it. You can watch movies on an external hard drive through your 360 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Definately an elite!! Lowest you should expect to pay in a shop, lets say, for a new one is around €249.99 on it's own. Some places have very good deals on - if your into GTA Gamestop have it for around €269.99 for xbox, the 2 gta games and any game of your choice..also an extra controller and play and charge kit for an extra €35.00 instead of 44 quid. Shop around is your best bet!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I got mine on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85353073_6?ie=UTF8&docId=1000340553&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=029NB4EG9WT03CG8SE0F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=124354447&pf_rd_i=15826471

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85353073_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000095443&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=029NB4EG9WT03CG8SE0F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=124354447&pf_rd_i=15826471

I went with the arcade version because it was a really good deal at the time. When I went to XBOX live I just bought a starter pack with headset and 60gb hard disk from Game online for about 60 euro. I have not as yet wished that I had the 120GB hard drive. That said it's down to how you want to use it.

I've lost days to Fifa 10 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

There is no point in you downloading movies through Live as they are all in HD and you don't have a HDTV, the cost won't be worth it. You can watch movies on an external hard drive through your 360 though.

no there not only in HD you can get a SD version aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

The Elite is the model I have. I got mine in HMV last Christmas. I recommend you get an Xbox with the Jasper chip if you want to avoid the rrod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

RachPie wrote: »
    Definately an elite!! Lowest you should expect to pay in a shop, lets say, for a new one is around €249.99 on it's own. Some places have very good deals on - if your into GTA Gamestop have it for around €269.99 for xbox, the 2 gta games and any game of your choice..also an extra controller and play and charge kit for an extra €35.00 instead of 44 quid. Shop around is your best bet!

Thanks, yes I saw in gamestop at the weekend they had a new xbos elite,the two GTA games, 1 game from a selection of 6 i think - call of duty 2 being the one I had my eye on) and 1 controller. DO you think it is a good deal?

There is only two types really, the Arcade and Elite. The only differences with the Eites is what size hard drive do you want.

Personally I'd go with 120Gb elite model.

There will always be loading times weather you install a game or not. It makes little difference to loading times in most games. The only real advantage of installing a game is so the noisy disc drive won't be spinning as you are playing a game.

Ye I'm set on the elite alright :) although I have heard so many problems with the xbox in terms of hardware failures, unlike the wii which has received rave reviews, still though there are certain games I want to play that are only available on the xbox!

Hooking up an external HDD to the xbox sounds good! thanks!
    I got mine on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85353073_6?ie=UTF8&docId=1000340553&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=029NB4EG9WT03CG8SE0F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=124354447&pf_rd_i=15826471

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85353073_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000095443&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=029NB4EG9WT03CG8SE0F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=124354447&pf_rd_i=15826471

I went with the arcade version because it was a really good deal at the time. When I went to XBOX live I just bought a starter pack with headset and 60gb hard disk from Game online for about 60 euro. I have not as yet wished that I had the 120GB hard drive. That said it's down to how you want to use it.

I've lost days to Fifa 10 online.

Thanks I'll check those links out, what is amazon like at returning things though? I'm thinking if something breaks a shop that I can take the xbox to in person would be a good option...
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    no there not only in HD you can get a SD version aswell

I'll prob hook the xbox up to my external HDD.
    The Elite is the model I have. I got mine in HMV last Christmas. I recommend you get an Xbox with the Jasper chip if you want to avoid the rrod.

umm what is a Jasper disk? Microsoft should just build decent machines in the first place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lockgroove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

kingtut wrote: »
    Hi,

I do not own a HDTV and do not plan on getting one anytime soon,

I use my pc monitor with the xbox connected with a vga cable, much better than a standard def tv.

kingtut wrote: »
    umm what is a Jasper disk? Microsoft should just build decent machines in the first place :D

Jasper Chip.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080719140152AAFdhiv

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_the_xbox_360_jasper_chip_work

Basically I'm saying get the latest model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

What are the disadvantages of buying the basic arcade model? (20gb)
    Is it that the harddrive is so small it's likely to be problematic or is
    it just not as powerful in terms of graphics etc?

Could you get one and then get an external hdd and plug it into?

Sorry am a bit clueless about them but only have about €150 budget
    to purchase one and am just shopping around.

• Advertisement

panama wrote: »
    Sorry am a bit clueless about them but only have about €150 budget to purchase one and am just shopping around.

I got The Elite for E175. It was part of a bundle deal. The console, extra controller and 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i got a new elite last week in gamestop stephens green
    Console (120gb) + batman lego/pure bundle + dante's inferno + halo3 odst

for €250

unless you are buying second hand you wont get it for much cheaper than that anywhere (and the deals arent as good elsewhere, i did a ring around)

• Hi

I got an elite in HMV in Limerick 2 weeks ago.

It cost €230 and came with

Mass Effect 2 and Halo ODST

Considering that Mass Effect 2 was just out and Halo ODST is a decent game, this is a fantastic deal all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Xtra-Vision:

Elite
    120Gb
    2 Controllers
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
    Plus one game from the following:
    Aliens versus Predator or Battlefield Bad Company 2.

€289.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 orchiles

amazon.com website is the best!

Advertisement