Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4-5 grand for any car

• 28-02-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

As it says, have 4-5 grand for any car at all no demands other than economical (preferably diesel). not a major fan of older saloon cars tbh. Any recommendations? low milage would be good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

kazul wrote: »

Sorry I should have said that. A micra is one of the fewest cars I wouldn't buy!! Thanks though!

Then you'll have to be more specific about ANY :D
    Why don't you put your criteria thru carzone and see what's on the market for your budget, narrow it down to a shortlist, then start looking at specific cars?
    You haven't given any information to allow somebody to suggest a suitable car.
    What do you drive now?
    Why do you want to change?
    What do you like and dislike about current car?
    What do you use your car for?
    Do you have a family or hobbies that require lugging stuff around?
    How many miles do you do per year?
    What's important to you ;- Performance? Comfort? Reliability? Handling? Value for money? Low road tax?

Any really does mean any, within reason. the only other thing I thought of is at least a 1.2 liter engine, but that would make sense with the diesel aspect mentioned.

In terms of suggesting a suitable car, anything is suitable once it meats the basic criteria mentioned in the OP. I never said I had driven before so that could potentially make the first 3 questions null and void. That said, I do drive, and I drive a 1.2 liter VW polo, but I'm not selling or trading it, there is nothing wrong with it, I just need a similar 2nd car, it doesn't matter why, but the criteria mentioned suggest something remotely similar (ie an 07 5 series doesn't work..)
    In answer to the other questions, I use the car for general driving... no hobbies such as surfing that would need anything special. No family but 5 seats would be of more benefit than 2 for obvious reasons. about 5000-10000 miles a year, not sure why that matters, maybe you'd enlighten me :) in terms of whats important, as much as can fit in the budget, obviously spending 5 grand on a 2.5 liter petrol thats 15 years old isn't exactly a good idea, low road tax would be nice (its a recession :)) I'm not sure who wants to drive around in an un comfortable car, but I get what your saying and the basics would be fine, not looking for air con etc, and naturally i don't want to be stopping at the mechanics every night on the way home ;) I appreciate the help though! I tried carzone but nothing jumped out, just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.

also there is technically nothing wrong with a micra, in my eyes it would be a little to basic, I'd prefer a slightly older car with a bit more substance but that is purely just in relation to micras! the main reason is that there has been a lot of stigma with the ol' lad about micras, and there is a serious bet on about who would be the first to have one for more than 24 hours! again, that is solely just to do with micras so it shouldn't sway any suggestions!

The micra is a fine little car and superior to the polo IMO.
    Those questions were in terms of priority, it's difficult to get an economical, high-performance, reliable, low-cost, comfortable car.
    The mileage was in reference to the fact that you want a diesel, diesel engines tend to have bigger cc than petrol equivalent. A good example would be the 1.5dci micra versus a 1.2 petrol.
    Diesel equivalents also tend to be more expensive and low annual mileage does not justify the extra expense as you won't make a significant saving in fuel cost.

The tone and content of your response suggests that you don't know what you want and expect somebody on here to find your ideal car even though you don't know what that is.

• Advertisement

The micra is a fine little car and superior to the polo IMO.
    I hear what you're saying but i disagree having driven both.
    Those questions were in terms of priority, it's difficult to get an economical, high-performance, reliable, low-cost, comfortable car.
    completely understand that, and appreciate i didn't give any hints in the OP but I think its rectified somewhat now :)
    The mileage was in reference to the fact that you want a diesel, diesel engines tend to have bigger cc than petrol equivalent. A good example would be the 1.5dci micra versus a 1.2 petrol.
    Diesel equivalents also tend to be more expensive and low annual mileage does not justify the extra expense as you won't make a significant saving in fuel cost.

grand, that makes perfect sense and kind of what I was looking for in the way of advice. actual suggestions are hard I know, so that sort of advice is always handy.
    The tone and content of your response suggests that you don't know what you want and expect somebody on here to find your ideal car even though you don't know what that is.

I hate to completely contradict you but you read that totally wrong if thats the case. I know nobody can suggest anyones perfect car, so I'm just looking for advice and what other people's experience is.
    On that note though, you're second response seemed a bit in the way of "oh, another person wanting to know exactly what car to buy, I'm sick of this" when in actual fact all I'm looking for is as much advice on this as I can get with a few suggestions thrown in, although I admit the OP wasn't worded very well in relation to this. Granted your second post probably wasn't in that tone, that's the way it seemed, but I dismissed it anyway. Funny how the tone in text can get mixed up ;) really appreciate the help though :)

Sorry about that. They were questions I used to use when I was "qualifying" sales. I din't mean to come across as dismissive.
    I was genuinely trying to help you narrow down the choices.
    There are shedloads of cars out there for that money;- boring toyotas, overrated VWs, zippy coupes, boyracers, old luxobarges etc.
    You'd get into a decent panda for that money, a very underrated car.

ah jasus no its grand :) i know your just helping, grateful for it all, hence why I assumed you weren't being dismissive! you sound like you answer these sort of questions a lot, so naturally it could get boring time after time! Narrowing the choices is always good

agreed toyotas are boring (wouldn't want a sticky pedal either :p) wouldn't necessarily agree VW's are overrated, definitely not all of them. not into boyracers sports cars etc thank god!

there was a nice golf on carzone, i think possibly something similar to a golf, like the same sort of category if that makes sense? in terms of any year and car, what sort of miles on a car would you look and go "no". granted a 3 year old with 120000 miles on the clock would be an obvious one, but I tend to seriously steer clear of anything with much more than 60000 on the clock, no matter what the age. Like the 03 polo I have only has 45000 on it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

You will need to look at a lot of options before you decide what is right for you OP.

I did a load of research and thinking about what car I would buy (a month ago) and I had exactly same budget as you, 4-5k give or take. I decided on a 1.4 Honda Jazz Sport and am extremely happy with it. An 03/04 will be in your price bracket. It's petrol but you said you are after something economical, and the Jazz I have is a dream in terms on what I'm spending on petrol, compared to the VW Polo I had before this especially.

I love driving in general and I'm loving The Jazz, steering responds brilliantly, it is good for overtaking- as in very perky at 4th gear I'm finding and it has that bit more space compared to the polo without looking 'long', especially when you are up close.

I am female so I especially like the lightness of the gear controls compared to VW which is heavier. I know everyone has their preferences here.

There is only one thing I would change though and that is that it can be bumpy on uneven surfaces, and I do a lot of driving on country roads so that does get to me but saying that, you get used to it somewhat.

Apart from that I love it and would recommend it to anyone. I personally think it looks great (again style is in the eye of the beholder) especially the Sport model compared to the Standard in it. And it's Honda. That was the main reason I went with it obviously.

like the idea of the honda jazz. the bumpy issue could be annoying, the shocks are going on the polo and its seriously wrecking my head! also, do prefer heavy gears etc but its in no way a deal breaker, sometimes light can be very nice! not sure I'm mad on the looks of the jazz tbh, i'll have to view a few of them. thanks for the help all

• Advertisement
Advertisement