Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying at Work, Shop Steward no Help

Options
  • 28-02-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread hoping someone out there can point me in the direction of any resources on the net that might help me in my situation. And if I'm honest, I also need to vent as the past week has been very stressful.

To cut a long story short, there is a culture of bullying in my place of work. It has existed there for years, in all management levels in the company, from the MD down.

And whilst many of us are members of the union, our shop steward is alas one of the bullies. She has no qualms about roaring and shouting at her staff (being a line lead), and has often complained to me about other members of staff, in a very unprofessional manner, to the point of even making derogatory remarks. I also find her to be very unhelpful when asking about union related matters, many times being fobbed off with a nonsense answer.

This bullying has always gotten to me. The head of my department was actively bullied until she resigned. A number of times I found her in tears in her office. Her replacement, while at times can be a nice guy, is in way over his head. And he has had run ins with all of my immediate colleagues, which involved the raising of voices and strong language. I personally have been fighting depression for a number of years, and while work did not cause it, it makes it quite hard to deal with. In fact I had to take several months sick leave last year.

When I returned to work in the autumn, I found that despite the work situation being as bad as ever, I was much better able to deal with it. Gradually however, that ability has been eroded away. It has reached the point now where I must do something about it, for the sake of my own mental health - I just can't go on like this much longer. I decided to go to the union directly, for nothing more than some reading material on the subject of bullying in the workplace. I just wanted to know where I and my colleagues stood, and what exact rights we had. That was a week or so ago.

During the week, I was asked to join our shop steward in a small meeting room. She gave no indication as to what the meeting was about until I got there. In the meeting room, she questioned me on my reasons for going to the union, stating she had received a phone call about it, and said she was disappointed that I didn't follow procedure and go through her. She was also annoyed that when she recieved the phone call, it was the first she had heard of my visit to union HQ (which is a lie on her part).

I explained that there was no procedure to follow, as I was merely trying to locate reading material for myself, and was not in any way, shape or form declaring grievances at that point. I also noted to myself that the "call" the shop steward recieved must have come from management in the job, as I gave no personal or employment info during my brief trip into the union HQ. Seemingly satisfied, she asked what information I was looking for in particular, and I told her "bullying in the workplace".

That seemed to be the end of it, until I was called into the same office the following day, again by the shop steward, and again without any explanation as to what was happening. This time, my immediate boss, and one of the production supervisors were also present. My manager explained that the meeting was not a formal disciplinary procedure, but rather a "clear the air" meeting.

My manager lead the discussion. First, I was accused of making a derogatory statement about another member of staff, which is completely untrue. Then I was told my attitiude of late had been severely lacking. When I asked "how", he explained that I had been deemed "very unapproachable" by several members of staff. Again, I could not agree with this, and asked had he noted this himself. He said that he had indeed noticed this change in my demeanour.

Finally I was asked if I had a problem with him personally, because he had been told that I was accusing him of harassment. I answered that I did not have a problem with him personally, and that whilst I had concerns over the way he managed his department, they were a) not something I chatted about with anyone else, and b) not something that couldn't be resolved with a simple chat within the department. So I explained that any notion of me reporting him for harassment were completely untrue, and borne of gossip, where members of staff had put two and two together, coming up with five.

For the duration of this "unformal, clear the air meeting", the shop steward, production supervisor, and my manager all took notes. I later asked if I was entitled to the minutes. The shop steward answered that her copy would be "kept safe in a folder". My manager said that I would have to get the shop steward's notes, as his would be typed up and sent to upper management. I didn't bother asking the production supervisor.

Later, while discussing a work related issue, my manager apologised for having to call the meeting, saying that literally, he just wanted to clear the air. With the conversation now being more private, he admitted that the accusation of being "unapproachable" had been made not by several people, but by "one or two", and that what had happened was that someone unconnected with my department, and in no position of authority over me, had asked me to do something for them. Rather than down tools to go do this something, I told them that I was busy doing something else, as directed by manager, and that if they wanted this task done in a hurry, they needed to call my manager and let him know why I was being called away from my own work. They left in a huff, and shortly afterwards, my manager called me to ask me to go do this other task. No problem, it was done, but apparently they took offence to my viewpoint.

This chat with my manager seemed to smooth out a lot of the miscommunication that had been going on, and we are (I think and hope) on good terms. However, when he asked me about the bullying, I did confirm that I believed it was common place in the job, and that I would not be lying down to it.

So I now await further, inevitable developments, and am becoming increasingly stressed about it. I recently had my medication dosage increased due to panic attacks, and a huge downturn in my mood since the Christmas break. It's a very lonely place to be, because it seems that nobody is on our side in there. For want of a better phrase, our shop steward is "one of them, not one of us" and is part of the problem, rather than being an outlet for help and advice.

Apologies for the huge wall of text. But I really feel like I am on my own here and I simply don't know what to do next.

I suppose a couple of specific questions would be more appropriate;

Did I do anything wrong in going into Union HQ and requesting mere reading material, thus bypassing the shop steward?
    How can myself and my colleagues improve the representation we are currently receiving from the union?
    Am I entitled to ALL the minutes (if any) from "unformal" meetings?
    What right does management have in asking why I went to the union?

Please help me if you can. I know legal advice cannot (and indeed SHOULD not be given), but even a nudge in the right direction, or pointing to useful resources on the web would be hugely appreciated. Even knowing that I'm not alone here would be a huge help to me personally. If there are any questions for me, or you need clarifying on anything, please don't hesitate to ask, and I'll be happy to respond.

Humbly, I thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Holy Mother of God. With the exception of a few details, I could have written nearly this same post, except for the shop steward part. So far so good in that respect for me. I just wish i knew anything really constructive to suggest.

Would you feel comfortable or safe going back to the union directly? Does your company have an anti-bullying policy and procedure to follow?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/equality-in-work/bullying_in_the_workplace

That may give you some information. Even ring them, perhaps??

You have my sympathy. I'm in the same mood/spot/atmosphere.

Good luck.

Firstly, I’m sorry to hear about your situation in work, I know how stressful and demoralising it can be.

By the sounds of things (and I’ve just glanced though your post), the bullying seems endemic and appears to be accepted as the norm.

To start with, I would get a small diary and record every time you feel that you were bullied and note the time, place, who was involved, what was said and if there was any witnesses.

I would read and memorise the company’s anti-bullying policy. Every employer, organisation or company has to have one. It should be part of the Health & Safety Statement.

I would also contact your old department head and see if they would assist you.

While it is sad that the person charged with protecting your rights in themselves part of the culture, it is not the end of the world. I would also investigate the possibly of complaining to the Union about the Shop Steward. If she is a Line Lead, she is part of the management and therefore this must lead to a conflict of interests. Also, Shop Stewards in most employments are elected by the staff and serve a set period in that position until or if they are re-elected. I believe (but don’t quote me) that shop stewards can also be voted out before there term ends if the majority of the staff are in favour of this.

I would also record in the diary any remarks made by her concerning your colleagues.

As regard to the meeting, any meeting without a set agenda should be avoided, you cannot be forced to attend these meetings and they must be scheduled to allow you time to prepare and also arrange any representation (if needed, in this case someone from the branch).

Concerning the comments made by the Shop Steward at your first meeting, it sounds more likely that someone you confided in has passed the information about you going to the Union rather than her receiving this information in a phone call. You are also right in stating that there is no procedure to follow, if you want to contact the Branch you are perfectly entitled to do so.

The second meeting seems more like an attempt to disciple you. Again, you are entitled to be informed in writing the purpose of this meeting; who will be attending and given time to prepare and arrange representation.

The comments made by your manager at this second meeting amount to nothing but hearsay. If the staff member you are accused of making derogatory statement about is not prepared to make a written complaint then it should have been case closed!!

You are entitled to a copy of the notes taken at this meeting, because in order words ‘any thing you say, may be taken down and used against you’. I would make a polite written request these notes and when your request is refused either go the Union (not the Shop Steward) or make a request under the Data Protection Act.

(It is very important to have someone with you in these meetings, they can offer a clear head if things get a bit heated and also act as a witness to comments made – why do you think your immediate boss had one of the production supervisors sitting in???)

To answer your questions.

No.

Vote the current Shop Steward out, and impose a shorter term for the next candidate.

Yes, because it is information that concerns and relates to you.

Absolutely none, they can ask, as any one can ask a question, but you don’t have to give a reason. Just say that’s it’s a private and confidential matter.

Please excuse the rather ad hoc reply, as I have just finished a night shift and am quite tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

two questions
    1 Have you got a copy of your union's rule book?

2 when is the shop steward up for re election?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

What an appalling situation !
    Be reassured that you have nothing to worry about in terms of approaching the union directly in terms of accessing reading material.
    You are a union member and are entitled to the protection and services that the union provides.
    Nor are you obliged to channel queries via your shop steward particularly in the circumstances you outline.
    I would suggest that you contact Union HQ and ascertain from them as to who is the full time union person dealing with your workplace and ask is it possible to arrange a meeting between that person and you and your colleagues to discuss the options open to you in terms of what's happening in your workplace , you should be prepared to explain why you don't want your shop steward included at the meeting.
    Be strong and try not to worry too much as your good health is paramount in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Thats an absolutely horrendous situation, and completely unacceptable. I know alot of info about this, and what your entitlements are, and how it can be sorted out. Feel free to get in contact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2tlvogueaddict

This happened to me too; I only recently posted about my experiences. I’m so sorry your going through this... Know that you are not alone. xXx

Having being in a very similar predicament in my former place of work before i was dismissed when i made an under pressure blooper, i really deeply sympthathise with you. My story is almost the same bar for the union. our cowards don't recognise them but the fact your line lead is the rep you may as well not have one either.
    this sort of thing has become more common with the recession. so called management are behaving like pure scumrats with trying to maximise output. it sounds like you may as well have no union with that dragon at the helm. get more advice on constructive dismissal but don't walk out until you get all your facts in order. if your job is untenable then you have them over a barrel especially if they have an anti bullying procedure and you have a diary of events and witnesses to back up.

Advertisement