Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my Leaving Cert Subjects

Options
  • 28-02-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Basically, I put down Japanese as one of my subject choices last month for my Leaving Cert, but have gotten lazy and forgotten most of it. How do I get rid of it? o_O

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I guess the fact that it's on the last day has something to do with your choice!!!:)....I dunno how you can,talk to your guidance councellor about it.You might havta just end up noit sitting the exam an youll be marked down as not having done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Well spotted. But mainly I don't want to put the unfortunate examiner through fifteen minutes of me attempting to speak Japanese in April. S/he will have to drive to our school just for me, and will be thoroughly disappointed.

I guess could just fail the exam miserably and just not include the result on my CV?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I don't know how/if you can change your subjects, but if you change your mind, the Japanese oral exam is very formulaic and if you started studying now you probably wouldn't have a huge amount of trouble with it.

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    I don't know how/if you can change your subjects, but if you change your mind, the Japanese oral exam is very formulaic and if you started studying now you probably wouldn't have a huge amount of trouble with it.

I not been able to get very much info on the Japanese oral at all. I know there are basic questions, but am not sure what sort choices you get when choosing a card with a picture on it. When asked about culture, do we speak in Japanese? (Sounds like a silly question, but I read somewhere...)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

brian1991 wrote: »
    I not been able to get very much info on the Japanese oral at all. I know there are basic questions, but am not sure what sort choices you get when choosing a card with a picture on it. When asked about culture, do we speak in Japanese? (Sounds like a silly question, but I read somewhere...)

There are three sections to the exam, all worth similar marks:
    -General conversation (pretty basic)
    -Speech (you choose a card which has three or four topics on it. You then have one minute to prepare a one to two minute speech on one of these topics, after which you will be asked questions on your speech)
    -Topic in pictures (you describe the picture, and then are asked questions to elaborate on it and to compare between the aspect of Japanese culture it portrays and Irish culture. All the sample pictures I have seen were things like a Japanese family eating a meal, a Japanese classrooom, etc)

This is as far as I know, I haven't practiced for the third section and can't remember that much about it. You don't speak in English for any part of the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get your school's exam secretary to contact Athlone as soon as possible and tell them.

It's no big deal and the examiner will certainly appreciate it, rather than wasting their time.

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    There are three sections to the exam, all worth similar marks:
    -General conversation (pretty basic)
    -Speech (you choose a card which has three or four topics on it. You then have one minute to prepare a one to two minute speech on one of these topics, after which you will be asked questions on your speech)
    -Topic in pictures (you describe the picture, and then are asked questions to elaborate on it and to compare between the aspect of Japanese culture it portrays and Irish culture. All the sample pictures I have seen were things like a Japanese family eating a meal, a Japanese classrooom, etc)

This is as far as I know, I haven't practiced for the third section and can't remember that much about it. You don't speak in English for any part of the exam.

Okay, thanks. I think I might be able to manage general conversation okay.
    Do I have to talk about the picture and culture in Japanese? I have a feeling the answer is ''yes''. Uh-oh. :/

spurious wrote: »
    Get your school's exam secretary to contact Athlone as soon as possible and tell them.

It's no big deal and the examiner will certainly appreciate it, rather than wasting their time.

Hmm. I was wondering who to talk to: our principal, secretary or guidance counsellor. I'll try the secretary tomorrow. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The exam secretary isn't the school secretary.
    It will usually be an Assistant Principal or Year Head - usually a senior teacher anyway.

Unless your school is one where the old Exam Secretary retired and has not been replaced because of the moratorium on promotions. The Union directive is that no-one should take on work they are not being paid for, so it might be fun tracking down someone to admit doing it. :)

Whoever went round getting your levels and subjects will generally be the exam secretary. That's the person to say it to.

Okay, I went to our principal this morning and he said to talk to our secretary, Geraldine. So I did, and talked to her. Basically: to change a subject (like switch or add subjects) after February 1 costs €49, but to take off a subject is free. I just have to fill out a form tomorrow it seems and I won't have to do Japanese. Phew.

I'll give an update tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement