Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Project!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi I am doing a Research Project for History and It counts as 25% of my Leaving Cert grade.... due in one month!

Heres some info on the project.
    http://www.scoilnet.ie/hist/article_topic.aspx?id=2138&nav=false

We can choose whatever want, and I chose to do my project on Audie Murphy, the most decorated American soldier of WWII. He was a pretty cool guy, he killed 240 germans on top of a burning tank single handedly! He received the Medal of Honor, along with 32 additional U.S. and foreign medals and citations.

My problem is I don't exactly know the impact he had on the war itself, or how he changed history, which is the main aim of these project.

We need 3 sources - one primary, and two secondary.

For my primary source I am using a memoir -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Back-Audie-Murphy/dp/0805070869/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267375626&sr=8-3

For my two secondary sources, I was going to use online sources, out of these possible choices

http://www.historynet.com/audie-murphy-one-man-stand-at-holtzwihr.htm

http://www.audiemurphy.com/biograph.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy (prob wont use wiki though, but theres a good list of external links there)

I also have a book on the general history of the war (for the wider context) but my teacher thinks I will need something more specific, rather than a general history book of the war.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I am finding it really hard to narrow down this project to a specific event. I know he killed all those soldiers by himself epicly, but I need to nail down the overall impact he had on the war. These projects are very specific.

I would be so grateful if someone could help me here in finding a way that he influenced the war and history itself as that is the main aim of my Research Project. I have one month to finish it, and the pressure is really mounting!!

Thanks a million:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why not connect it with his film career and the propaganda value of having an actual war hero star in the films?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Don't use Wikipedia!

Have a look on Amazon or abebooks.com, they're both good and cheap for good sources! I got mine there and they're a lot better than anything I'd be able to buy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

spurious wrote: »
    Why not connect it with his film career and the propaganda value of having an actual war hero star in the films?

Oh I like! Very good take on it. My teacher said stay away from his film career before, but thats an interesting angle on it. I will definately look into it. He actually starred as himself in his own biopic of the war! Just like inglorious bastards xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

To be honest, you don't really need to say how he influenced the war. As long as you don't write a biography of the guy, or simply an account of the war, what you have is good. He's historically relevant as the most decorated US soldier - could you use that from the angle of boosting morale among the troops perhaps?
    I did a project on a person last year too. It was about Dorothy MacArdle, a not-very-well known Republican. My angle was choosing to focus on her literary career only and how she used it to promote issues she felt strongly about. There's no real impact on the Republican movement involved in it. I can send it to you as an example if you like. I got full marks.
    Oh, and you can use the general book on the war if the person in question or his exploits are mentioned. You just say the pages he was involved in, and the weaknesses of the source can be that it wasn't totally about him. Using a book by a reputable historian that only has 5 pages on your topic is still 100% better than wikipedia!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

MavisDavis wrote: »
    To be honest, you don't really need to say how he influenced the war. As long as you don't write a biography of the guy, or simply an account of the war, what you have is good. He's historically relevant as the most decorated US soldier - could you use that from the angle of boosting morale among the troops perhaps?
    I did a project on a person last year too. It was about Dorothy MacArdle, a not-very-well known Republican. My angle was choosing to focus on her literary career only and how she used it to promote issues she felt strongly about. There's no real impact on the Republican movement involved in it. I can send it to you as an example if you like. I got full marks.
    Oh, and you can use the general book on the war if the person in question or his exploits are mentioned. You just say the pages he was involved in, and the weaknesses of the source can be that it wasn't totally about him. Using a book by a reputable historian that only has 5 pages on your topic is still 100% better than wikipedia!

Hi that would be fantastic if you could send it! I'll PM you my email. Would really appreciate it. It seems like your angle on Dorothy MacArdie is quite a good way to approach my topic, and the idea of him boosting morale seems the best way to go. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement