Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netgear Stora 1TB Home Media Server - 2 Bay NAS

• 28-02-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Reducted to £123.56 on amazon.co.uk

Seems very good value as you can add another HDD later.

Full details from netgear here.

Review at TrustedReview.

Price of £123.56 includes Irish VAT and FREE Super Saver Delivery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nice one I've been on the look out for one of these for a while. Very good value for 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

How do these work?
    Do you connect it to your home network with a cable or are they wireless.
    Can every laptop then access the content stored on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

waster81 wrote: »
    How do these work?

Yes - cable connection.

Thanks OP - have my eye on a NAS for a while also. This may be the best value option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Seems very good value as you can add another HDD later.

Nice box but if you put in an extra HDD (from the amazon site) its used for mirroring. Which means that if you put in an extra 1TB it mirrors the primary hard drive which is no bad thing but you don't get 2TB. It says that on the Amazon site and on the review below. If I'm wrong there I'm open to correction.

Review here.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/networking-and-wi-fi/network-attached-storage-nas-/netgear-stora-ms2110-1tb-654880/review
    waster81 wrote: »
    How do these work?

It's not wireless. You connect it to your switch and every machine that can connect to your switch can access your data. So if the switch is wireless you can access the data from a wireless laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Good price. I ordered one of these from Komplett very recently for 165 euros (shipping was extra).

A couple of points not already mentioned:

- you can set the NAS to power on/off at specific times
    - HDDs are formatted to a linux filesystem (XFX or something like that)...not sure how you'd retrieve the files independently of the NAS
    - writing/reading large files over a UPC cisco wireless router is painfully slow stuff

The only RAID option available is a mirroring of the two drives, nice if you want to lessens the odds of ever losing data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I had a similar device from Lacie - but even on Gigabit ethernet, I found it painfully slow.

Would this be any faster ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Would this do iScsi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Good find. Fantastic price considering it's a brand new piece of kit (not some end of life model) and a 1Tb drive is included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Scan.co.uk says no:

Manufacturer: Netgear

Connectivity: 1 x LAN (10/100/1000) 1 x USB 1.1/2.0

Storage Capacity: 1000 GB

iSCSI: No

LAN Type: 10/100/1000

Dimensions: 150 x 175 x 146 (WxHxD mm)

HDD Interface: 2 x SATA 1.5/3.0 Gbps

Weight: 1.36 kg

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-Netgear-Stora-MS2110-Storage-Home-Media-Network-Storage-NAS
    The_Edge wrote: »
    Would this do iScsi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cheers for that. Good deal otherwise imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Cameraman wrote: »
    I had a similar device from Lacie - but even on Gigabit ethernet, I found it painfully slow.

Would this be any faster ?

I've got one and honestly it isn't terribly quick - this is only a problem for me when transferring large quantities of data (initial backup, etc) but its keenly priced and the RAID is the main attraction for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Try THIS if your using Vista or 7 to make it go faster. It worked for me. Well it made it faster but was still very slow for all my media stuff.

Also dont be putting another drive into it thinking that you can just add data onto it as it automaticaly wipes that data clean and mirrors the 1st or formats it if it is the only drive :eek: (just as well I used a backup drive)

According to the Netgear forums there is a firmware update due 1.3 that looks like a major update including bug fixes and new functionality.

Ref http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=45587&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

Nice box but if you put in an extra HDD (from the amazon site) its used for mirroring.

Sorry, I posted it here as soon as I saw it, before reading the whole reviews. You are right in saying that the second bay is for mirroring. Compared to what it is sold for in Dublin which is around €170 this is a bargain! I didn't think twice before purchasing.

Available at Komplett for €168.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Have a look at the Amazon link now. If you click it, it gives £169
    But if you click on the 13 new link
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002SNBCSQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
    The prices start at £119.99.
    Handy way to squeeze out a few extra quid from an unwary shopper ;)

Does anybody know what would happen in this case.
    Suppose the caddy fails and I'm left with 2 X1TB drives from this box. Will either drive work OK if I just put into a PC or a standard USB caddy? Or would I have to buy a new Netgear caddy to get the data back?

As I said earlier, the filesystem is XFS or something. If you were to put it in an external enclosure and hook it up to Windows, you'd probably wipe all the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

CoLinux might help with that

Its a version of Linux made to work as executable within the windows environment, should help mount XFS Drives to Windows

I cant imagine putting an XFS Drive in a Windows PC would wipe it, that would be insane

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ext3-reiserfs-xfs-in-windows-thanks-to-colinux/

Does any of the other similar price NAS devices support file systems natively accessible by windows. I'm also considering the WD MyBook World NAS - similar price on Amazon but doesn't do RAID which I'm not overly bothered about as I'm going to use a seperate external hard disk for backup anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Does it have to be the exact same HD to mirror or will and other 1tb disk do?
    Stora Premium: If you decide to continue with Stora Premium after your 30 day free trial, you can simply sign up and pay by credit card via your Stora web interface for £14.95 per year.

That kind of sucks, do others not do it for free with freedns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

cheers OP, picked one up yesterday

• Advertisement

Dingatron wrote: »
    According to the Netgear forums there is a firmware update due 1.3 that looks like a major update including bug fixes and new functionality.

Ref http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=45587&page=6

Hoping to buy a NAS shortly. A lot of negative posts here - hard to know?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I got this one at xmas and have it set up on raid with 2 1.5td hard drives in it.

have it plugged into my wireless router and it works away happily.

one thing i just started using it for is bittorrent. Its excellent for it. works away itself in the background and doesnt slow down my network,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GK8LVE/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I got the RND 2150 in PC world for 79 Euro last week :D but there was only one. There might be some more in other PCworlds tho.

I got the RND 2150 in PC world for 79 Euro last week :D but there was only one. There might be some more in other PCworlds tho.

Obviously a pricing mistake. I must check my local store. :D

Confirmed date for the new firmware from Netgear rep.
    Hi guys,

I've gotten the ok to post details of the upcoming Stora 1.3 update, here they are:

*APPROXIMATE* release date: first week of April

update includes:

- JBOD
    - Updated minidlna and related libraries ( Resolves problems with parsing m2ts files )
    - Windows XP Backup support
    - Support timemachine backups up to 1TB in size (vs previous 200GB)
    - Resolve bug where windows backup/timemachine fails when simultaneouly using samba
    - Enable/disable UPnP
    - iTunes Playlist support for albums
    - Improved USB support
    - Eye candy for the flash interface
    - Stora ip now allows for local login (no longer requires /?local=1)

Cheers,
    Roby!

What's JBOD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

JBOD stands for Just A Bunch Of Disks, i.e. all the drives are just that, other drives, and not arranged in RAID etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nintendowii

Mine arrived today. Just wonder should I pull out the 1TB external drive from its casing on put it into the 2nd drive back to mirror it onto the included drive or can I just attach it to the Stora box via usb to do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

would this device be compatible with the logitech squeezebox internet radio for playing mp3's? i bought the squeezebox with the intention of ultimately upgrading to having all my mp3 devices available as well as having the internet rado. i don't always have the computer turned on so using this as a source for the mp3's isn't an option.

i see that the more expensive netgear rnd2150 specifically states that it works with the squeezebox but can't find any mention with the netgear stora

• Advertisement
Advertisement