Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aaron Ramsey tackle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Frisbee wrote: »
    I know he said some pretty daft things.

But they were nowhere near as bad as his outlash at Taylor was all I was saying.

I really do expect a statement tomorrow or Tuesday explaining how his comments were made in the heat of the moment blah blah blah.

In fairness any manager who is not passionately furious by a tackle that has broken his own player's leg (and a young one at that) so badly that it's hanging off....for the second/third time in recent years.....has something wrong with them. He was upset and understandably so and IMO should have sent pat rice or someone to do the interview.

There's also the chance he hadn't seen the replay which shows there was no intent so I think anyone criticizing Wenger's reaction isn't taking in the circumstances in which he commented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Funnily, I just did before I posted that. They wouldn't have. Ramsey ran across the path of Shawcross, Shawcross lunges to get the ball and his outstretched leg makes contact with Ramsey's ankle/shin area. If he doesn't lunge out with the leg they don't make contact.

lunge? he put his foot out to get the ball as did ramsey??

you must have the new limited edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ntlbell wrote: »
    how many times does it have to be said, they're both going in it could have easily have been shawcross who got his leg broke.
    No. No it couldn't have been. Why I hear you ask. Because Ramsey came into the tackle with enouh force to win the ball and get it away, whereas Shawcross came in with enough force to clear ball and man.

I don't know about expect but the potential is there.

they're human beings, not robots.

how many times does it have to be said, they're both going in it could have easily have been shawcross who got his leg broke.

it's not a game of tiddly winks out there which is what arsenal and their fans seem to want.

before any leg breaks arsne was always moaning about any team that got in anyway physical and didn't play on the ground.

i think he seems to forget some of the players he used to manage

Nah there was no chance Ramsey's planted foot could have broken Shawcross's foot unless it hadn't snapped in two. It was shawcross's fault and I can't believe people are trying to justify it. There was no intent and I agree with that but he swung his leg over the ball and that led to Ramsey's break.

Its as if people are using this to get digs in at Arsenal somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

copacetic wrote: »
    No it doesn't, most breaks are due to a combination of normal force and the angles and twisting forces involved. It's extremely difficult to kick someone in the shin with your instep and break their leg without shattering your foot if force is the only question.

I don't think it's really acceptable to shrug it off as an unfortunate coincidence. Shawcross went in hard, very hard. Ramsey was already at full tilt but was never going to make contact with Shawcross. Shawcross surely should have been aware that a low kick like that into the path of an onrushing player has the potential to do serious damage. Yes, angles and twisting are everything, but there is no evidence here to suggest Ramsey's leg was already buckling or twisting, the blame has to fall on Shawcross. Had he exerted less force Ramsey's leg would still be intact.

I know on another day Ramsey would have trod on Shawcross' ankle and it would be a completely different scenario, but Shawcross made the tackle here, the blame is on his shoulders.

playa3 wrote: »
    This is the exact same bollocks as with Eduardo to be honest. People using it to get cheap digs at Wenger.

I don't think so Eduardo's was a totally different ball game IMO the intention was to do damage, it looked to me like he was delibertley trying to hurt him

this was a 50/50 were both players went in full whack and ramsey got unlucky

nothing more to it.

I think everyone is probably suprised arsne seen it, since he misses everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i hope so, cause i really feel for shawcross, wat should have been a great day for him yesterday (england call up) ended wit him being sent off unfairly, accidentally breaking a young players leg, and having one of the most respected managers in world football call for you to be punished and imply you did it on purpose.

Straight after the match Mr Alan, as I said maybe he should not give interviews after the match in certain circumstances, managers in general can say things they regret, and he did retract comments after the Eduardo incident, I think you will admit even your own Rafa has come out with some very daft comments over the years and he has probably regrtetted it after.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Nah there was no chance Ramsey's planted foot could have broken Shawcross's foot unless it hadn't snapped in two. It was shawcross's fault and I can't believe people are trying to justify it. There was no intent and I agree with that but he swung his leg over the ball and that led to Ramsey's break.

Its as if people are using this to get digs in at Arsenal somehow.

i think your missing the point.

but that's ok.

Hopefully you'll get it by the end of the thread.

In fairness any manager who is not passionately furious by a tackle that has broken his own player's leg (and a young one at that) so badly that it's hanging off....for the second/third time in recent years.....has something wrong with them. He was upset and understandably so and IMO should have sent pat rice or someone to do the interview.

There's also the chance he hadn't seen the replay which shows there was no intent so I think anyone criticizing Wenger's reaction isn't taking in the circumstances in which he commented.

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

openroad, we would've/should've had an apology to shawcross by now if that was the case. hopefully you're right and one comes in the next day mr so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

People using it to get cheap digs at Wenger.

and Wenger using it to continue his vendetta against any team who tries to tackle.

he knows damn well Shawcross' tackle was merely late and not malicious.

he also knows damn well that this '3 severe injuries in 5 years' is not a statistic that can be used to justify what he's trying to say.

he knows damn well it's just been bad luck.

he's not a moron, far from it.

it's a disgrace that he's using this as a means to imply Shawcross is a dirty player, merely as a means of trying to get the FA to make football a non-contact sport.

i understand the emotions after a game after seeing one of your players' badly injured, but he should be more mature and responsible than that by now.

i hope he takes what he said back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think everyone is probably suprised arsne seen it, since he misses everything else

Post 57, ok, who picked out 57 on the how-long-til-someone-mentions-Wenger-missing-everything sweepstake?

Quazzie wrote: »
    No. No it couldn't have been. Why I hear you ask. Because Ramsey came into the tackle with enouh force to win the ball and get it away, whereas Shawcross came in with enough force to clear ball and man.

how do you figure that out?

Did someone have a force calculator?

the foot broke because it was planted.

not because of the force.

it has been explained i think 3 times by different people on the thread.

don't let that get in the way tho

openroad, we would've/should've had an apology to shawcross by now if that was the case.

You really seem to have it in for Wenger.

I will follow your posts with interest when the spotlight is on Liverpool/Rafa ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

but that's ok.

Is the point that this is an opportunity for you to flame and troll again as in the example above.

• Advertisement

lunge? he put his foot out to get the ball as did ramsey??

you must have the new limited edition

haw haw, funny man is funny.

Look at the Photo's, look at the position of Shawcross' feet compared to his centre of gravity, bout a yard in the difference. He was stretching, he was committed. It's a total lunge, he simply wasn't staying on his feet.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    ah come on it is only 24 hours and it is a sunday, you really seem to have it in for Wenger.
    I edited my orginal post. I don't have it in for Wenger.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he also knows damn well that this '3 severe injuries in 5 4 years' is not a statistic that can be used to justify what he's trying to say.

fyp.

It's a highly unusual statistic though. He certainly has the right to feel frustration over it.

fyp.

It's a highly unusual statistic though. He certainly has the right to feel frustration over it.

He has a right to be especially the eduardo one.

but he's in the game long enough to tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

and Wenger using it to continue his vendetta against any team who tries to tackle.

he also knows damn well that this '3 severe injuries in 5 years' is not a statistic that can be used to justify what he's trying to say.

it's a disgrace that he's using this as a means to imply Shawcross is a dirty player, merely as a means of trying to get the FA to make football a non-contact support.

i understand the emotions after a game after seeing one of your players' badly injured, but he should be more mature and responsible than that by now.

How many players from other teams has it happened to in those 4 years? Genuine question, as I can't really remember too many leg's being broken of teams that do 'like it up them'

Also, where may I ask did Wenger call Shawcross a dirty player?

• Advertisement

but that's ok.

Lol. instead of being patronizing why don't you make yourself clear.

i was responding to your post:

I don't know about expect but the potential is there.

they're human beings, not robots.

it's not a game of tiddly winks out there which is what arsenal and their fans seem to want.

before any leg breaks arsne was always moaning about any team that got in anyway physical and didn't play on the ground.

i think he seems to forget some of the players he used to manage

and i said

"Nah there was no chance Ramsey's planted foot could have broken Shawcross's foot unless it hadn't snapped in two. "

Could you explain to me how Ramsey could have broken Shawcoross's leg so when he flicked the ball away??
    Please?
    To the less educated than your good self.

it's a disgrace that he's using this as a means to imply Shawcross is a dirty player, merely as a means of trying to get the FA to make football a non-contact support.

Interesting reading your comments here and in the Liverpool/Blackburn thread suggesting that Blackburn probably kicked the **** out of Liverpool players today, and you didn't even see the mtach. Is it wrong for teams to kick the **** out of Liverpool players but ok for teams to rough Arsenal up :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Dangerous Tackle ... yes
    Clumsy ..................yes
    intentional ..............no
    red card .................yes

My reason for it been a red card is because the ball was far enough away from him to pull out , no need to lunge clumsy , enough time to pull out and still maintain his own safety .

The "Arsenal roughened up" side show is a disgrace .When any Sunday league or professional puts on a jersey they know this potentially can happen.
    If this incident had not happened in this game you would never have heard that debate , it was never that type of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There is absolutely no question the ref was influenced by the reaction and of course the actual aftermath.

I don't think it was particularly malicious and Wenger is bang out of order.

We didn't push for Lucas Neil to have an excessove ban after the Carra/Cisse breaks - it was just unfortunate.

Nonetheless, I feel for the lad, I dislocated my kneecap and it was sticking into my ligaments in November, nowhere near as bad but the fear when you are lieing there and looking at your misshapen leg is seriously disconcerting.

Looks like he will be okay for the start of next season.

Mr Alan, what exactly do you think Wenger should apologise for?

Nowhere here does he say anything specific about Shawcross
    "A three-match ban is ridiculous. How many times have I said in the past that the FA must do something about tackles like this? Players have to respect each other. Those who don't should be punished," The Mirror quoted Wenger, as saying.

"We have lost three players now through tackles like this - Abou Diaby, Eduardo and now Ramsey. People will say it is a coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidences like that. I would say we are not protected enough. Sometimes we are victims, but all I hear is Arsenal don't like it when teams are physical.

"I have no problem with teams being physical, but three broken legs in five years is just too much," he added

or here
    I didn't see many bad tackles in the game but this one was horrendous," said Wenger.
    "To lose a player of that quality at 19 years of age when he is just starting his career is just horrendous. It is difficult to accept.
    "It is the third player we have lost on tackles that are not acceptable - (Abou) Diaby, Eduardo and Ramsey here.
    "I am just shocked because that is not football for me. It is not what I like in the game. If you have to live with that I refuse to do that.
    "For a boy at 19 years old to be kicked out of a game like that, it is beyond words. I cannot even enjoy the win.
    "The players are shocked, it is a bad fracture. He will be transferred to London (on Saturday night) to see if he needs emergency surgery but he will be out for a long time.''

Lol. instead of being patronizing why don't you make yourself clear.

i was responding to your post:

and i said

"Nah there was no chance Ramsey's planted foot could have broken Shawcross's foot unless it hadn't snapped in two. "

Could you explain to me how Ramsey could have broken Shawcoross's leg so when he flicked the ball away??
    Please?
    To the less educated than your good self.

Ok,

I wasn't going to bother, as I thought it rather obvious.

But ok.

If you reverse it?

and cross got the ball? and his foot planted? and Ramsey was a bit late?

The force both players were at, the speed they were running at, the amount of "force" that was put into the tackle was enough for either one to have their leg broke had it been reversed.

Hence the excessive force argument is redundant.

How many players from other teams has it happened to in those 4 years? Genuine question, as I can't really remember too many leg's being broken of teams that do 'like it up them'

it's an unusual staistic, but it doesn't prove anything.

those tackles are done all the time in games, and legs don't get broken.

it just happens that Arsenal players' legs are getting broken.

it's sh*t, but it's just unfortunate.
    Also, where may I ask did Wenger call Shawcross a dirty player?

because there is no other reason he would want the ban on Shawcross to be longer that the 3 matches he is going to get, unless he thought there was intent in the tackle.

Interesting reading your comments here and in the Liverpool/Blackburn thread suggesting that Blackburn probably kicked the **** out of Liverpool players today, and you didn't even see the mtach. Is it wrong for teams to kick the **** out of Liverpool players but ok for teams to rough Arsenal up :confused:

it's part of the game.

you don't like it, i don't like it, but if it's within the rules of the game, you live with it.

i won't go moaning asking for all their players to be banned because they tried to rough us up.

are you messing? he's talking about players have to respect eachother and those who don't should be punished, that shawcross' ban should be longer, some arsenal fans really can't see the wood for the trees wit this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan, what exactly do you think Wenger should apologise for?

Nowhere here does he say anything specific about Shawcross

or here

Eh, he is quite clearly implying Shawcross and other players should face longer bans if the opposition players are going to be out for a long period of time as a result of tackles with them.

That is absolute bullcrap.

• Advertisement

it's an unusual staistic, but it doesn't prove anything.

those tackles are done all the time in games, and legs don't get broken.

it just happens that Arsenal players' legs are getting broken.

it's sh*t, but it's just unfortunate.

because there is no other reason he would want the ban on Shawcross to be longer that the 3 matches he is going to get, unless he thought there was intent in the tackle.

He wants the ban to be longer because his player got seriously injured. Not something I would agree with in this case but it's pretty valid, especially in the heat of the moment. Nowhere does he directly condemn Shawcross, but more so this attitude that the likes of Fuller frequently bang on about.

it's part of the game.

you don't like it, i don't like it, but if it's within the rules of the game, you live with it.

i won't go moaning asking for all their players to be banned because they tried to rough us up.

I can't recall to many games in the prem where a team was kicking the poo out of another team.

bolton/blackburn etc had rep's for being physical from arsne, because they tackled hard, shoulder barged etc, all very legel.

do we really want it to go down the same route as goal keepers?

it's a physical contact sport.

arsenal want to play united every week.

you pass and shoot, then we pass and shoot.

this is just not going to happen.

He wants the ban to be longer because his player got seriously injured. Not something I would agree with in this case but it's pretty valid, especially in the heat of the moment.

i don't understand this stance.

just because the player got injured, the one who unfortunately injured him should be banned for longer?

ludicrous.

the tackle was clumsy, a yellow card offense IMO after seeing the replay.

i don't care if it's the heat of the moment; it would not be fair on Shawcross, because he tackled in a fashion most tacklers would. Ramsey just got unlucky.

mixednuts wrote: »
    The "Arsenal roughened up" side show is a disgrace .When any Sunday league or professional puts on a jersey they know this potentially can happen.
    If this incident had not happened in this game you would never have heard that debate , it was never that type of game.

Actually, it's frequently brought up. Anytime we play Stoke or Bolton in particular someone makes a quote to that extent, every time we play these teams many Arsenal fans feel our players get little protection. Most recently it was the Bolton games, they got away with some awful dirty play in those games, including Taylor (iirc) dragging his foot across Fabregas' face after fouling him (in the box, a penalty that wasn't given).

So because 90% of the time you're going to ignore Arsenal discussion in the press it doesn't give you a right to condemn us for such remarks.

are you messing? he's talking about players have to respect eachother and those who don't should be punished, that shawcross' ban should be longer, some arsenal fans really can't see the wood for the trees wit this issue.

So you think he should apologise for the implications you choose to put to his words? He is, to my eyes, using this as an opportunity to forward his opinion about how teams get praised for playing hard against Arsenal, rightly or wrongly. What he does not do is tarnish Shawcross, but rather this attitude in general.

i don't understand this stance.

just because the player got injured, the one who unfortunately injured him should be banned for longer?

ludicrous.

the tackle was clumsy, a yellow card offense IMO after seeing the replay.

i don't care if it's the heat of the moment; it would not be fair on Shawcross, because he tackled in a fashion most tacklers would. Ramsey just got unlucky.

scholes is clumsey, shawcross was with conviction.

there was nothing clumsey about it imo

I can't recall to many games in the prem where a team was kicking the poo out of another team.

bolton/blackburn etc had rep's for being physical from arsne, because they tackled hard, shoulder barged etc, all very legel.

do we really want it to go down the same route as goal keepers?

it's a physical contact sport.

you pass and shoot, then we pass and shoot.

this is just not going to happen.

i agree completely.

he says the tackle was disgraceful and unacceptable and that the ban should be extended and when players have no respect for their opponents they should be punished. you don't think thats directed at shawcross?

it's part of the game.

So what did you think of Rafas comments when asked if Blackburn players roughed up Liverpool players? Was there a need for him to be sarcastic?

Is it not part of the game, do Blackburn players not have any other choice against the likes of Liverpool, should Rafa not accept this?

• Advertisement

scholes is clumsey, shawcross was with conviction.

clumsy, as in slightly late.

So you think he should apologise for the implications you choose to put to his words? He is, to my eyes, using this as an opportunity to forward his opinion about how teams get praised for playing hard against Arsenal, rightly or wrongly. What he does not do is tarnish Shawcross, but rather this attitude in general.

this suggestion it's only arsenal is just nonsense.

do teams not play out of thier skins against united?

do they not try "rough up" any other team in the league?

he should really trying watching a few non arsenal matches.

has he ever watched any of the never ending amount of derby games in the pl?

So what did you think of Rafas comments to the suggestion that Blackburn players roughed up Liverpool players? Was there a need for him to be sarcastic?
    he took the piss out of them. surely you can see the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I haven't read through the entire thread but I myself don't think it was a red card tackle, I just think that the result of it, history with Arsenal players and the reaction of players played a part!

I don;t know if this has been mentioned at all....but Kudos to Glen Whelan for the way he reacted to the situation! Instead of losing the plot like some of the Arsenal players he seemed to be very calm and collected throughout the entire situation! You could see him talking to Ramsey trying to calm him, as well keeping him from looking at it! Credit where credits due guys!

Fair play to you Glen Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

After this season performances... :pac:

he says the tackle was disgraceful and unacceptable and that the ban should be extended and when players have no respect for their opponents they should be punished. you don't think thats directed at shawcross?

I think he is using the incident to further his opinions in general on these kind of incidents. I do not believe he labelled Shawcross a dirty player, but that in this case his tackle was bad.

• Advertisement

he took the piss out of them. surely you can see the difference?

Is it not disrespectful? Should he not be better than that, and by the way it is a moan at Blackburn, surely you can see that.

So what did you think of Rafas comments when asked if Blackburn players roughed up Liverpool players? Was there a need for him to be sarcastic?

Is it not part of the game, do Blackburn players not have any other choice against the likes of Liverpool, should Rafa not accept this?

am i Rafa? we're not talking about Rafa.

Rafa was sarcastic, and even if he was upset at the fact Blackburn were being physical i wouldn't agree with him.

i'd maybe moan a bit, as i don't think it's how the game should be played. but i'd accept it all the same.

i wouldn't ask for bans and get a complex about the fact i think my team is being singled out for punishment.

i can't believe how silly some people are being about this.

this suggestion it's only arsenal is just nonsense.

do teams not play out of thier skins against united?

do they not try "rough up" any other team in the league?

he should really trying watching a few non arsenal matches.

has he ever watched any of the never ending amount of derby games in the pl?

Of course it's not just Arsenal. And I personally don't think we get it too much more than other teams(except at Bolton recently). It's the glorifying of it in the media with regards to Arsenal that Wenger, and most Arsenal fans, don't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

that picture is fake.should be banned for suggesting it was his own fault.has people any sympathy or class

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement