Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheese wire used as motorway barriers

• 28-02-2010 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

What do you think of that 'cheesewire' they're using as a crash barrier on some of the new motorways......scary stuff, i wouldn't fancy hitting it, if i came off the bike.
    I heard some people say its banned on mainland europe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I thought they stopped using it on new motorways and were phasing it out where it is as the roads are upgraded. Where did you see it. If it was on a new road write a letter to the RSA and complain.

Single Armco barriers are only slightly better and should be converted to double Armco barriers to prevent sliding under or into a pillar if you fall of on a motorway at speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

My arse is it being phased out, been on the south end of the M50 since I started using it which is almost a year ago now.

It's the cheapest option, that's why it's being used.

Once it stops the dozy cage drivers crossing sides whilst doing their makeup/reading the paper/eating their cornflakes who cares about the bikers that will be cut in half by it when they come off their bikes :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

KamiKazi wrote: »
    My arse is it being phased out, been on the south end of the M50 since I started using it which is almost a year ago now.

It's the cheapest option, that's why it's being used.

Once it stops the dozy cage drivers crossing sides whilst doing their makeup/reading the paper/eating their cornflakes who cares about the bikers that will be cut in half by it when they come off their bikes :mad:

Know what your talking about its on a lot of the N11 and M11. On Thursday morning a wonman doing her makeup as she going along. Muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Know what your talking about its on a lot of the N11 and M11. On Thursday morning a wonman doing her makeup as she going along. Muppet

It's vigilante time, gonna need more of these on the roads.
    batbike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

They were put up about two yrs aog on the cork to mallow road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

From what I hear the NRA has stopped using it on new stretches for about two years now. The M50 and all new sections of inter urban motorways have been using concrete mediums. They have proved costly to maintain and that can be seen with the amount of unprepared sections left after various accidents around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

The M2 is also riddled with these cheese wires! A fookin' disgrace if you ask me! It's cheese wire on one side and single armco on the other... Muppets... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

MAG Ireland are surprisingly quiet on this issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Mona Lott wrote: »
    MAG Ireland are surprisingly quiet on this issue

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

MAG Ireland are effectively defunct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

MAG Ireland undertook a big campaign against the "cheese wire" motorway barriers a few years ago when they were first proposed and installed. Unfortunately they didn't succeed as the NRA were determined on installing as much as possible before EU rules made it illegal!

I agree that MAG are on the way out - drastically falling membership - this is because only a small majority of motorcycle riders put their money where their mouths are:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MAG Ireland are effectively defunct.
    One of the reasons MAG membership has fallen in recent years is that at one time it was a reqirement to be with MAG for Carole Nashe when they were sole competitors with the Norwich Union, this has seemingly died off so people have no other interest in it other than getting cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

One of the reasons MAG membership has fallen in recent years is that at one time it was a reqirement to be with MAG for Carole Nashe when they were sole competitors with the Norwich Union, this has seemingly died off so people have no other interest in it other than getting cheaper insurance.

True! Says it all really, yet people are prepared to moan about "cheese wire" lack of parking, driving in bus lanes, CBT etc but are not prepared to pay a few bob to fund the representative organisation:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mona Lott

Rosahane wrote: »
    True! Says it all really, yet people are prepared to moan about "cheese wire" lack of parking, driving in bus lanes, CBT etc but are not prepared to pay a few bob to fund the representative organisation:(

WTF should we have any confidence in MAG Ireland these days?, even in the CN days that did shag all for bikers. I was once in MAG Ireland and that was before CN joined the market. I saw one of the leaflets in my local shop and decided to sign up - that lasted for 2 years. Fair play, originally they did a lot of good and were an active voice for Irish bikers, but once the original 'top table' left one by one, sadly the replacements never lived up to the expectations.

Before any of you jump down my neck, please tell me what exactly have they done in the past two years for example (or €80 worth of membership, seeing I'm not exactly a youngster!)

Advertisement