Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get revenge for all my mean comments - critique my proposal

• 28-02-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

This represents my first time making a serious proposal and I am convinced I have excluded something. Be mean:

http://img.bhalash.com/proposal2.pdf

The photos used are all more recent ones simply because I had the master files immediately on hand. I'm in the process of digging up older files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Immediate problem with it! It won't open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Refresh. Should be fixed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I can tell you your typography is a bit of a disaster...

the combination of all upper case, over exaggerated leading and tracking all make it very difficult to read.

Interesting thing if you use a thirds approach to type, everything can sing like in a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

It's probably minor but the fonts don't work for me. Also the use of CAPS on everything makes the font look worse.
    Other than it sounds & looks interesting. Would like to see your prints but I couldn't justify the trip to Galway.
    Are you thinking of exhibiting in Dublin as well? ;)

If I find somewhere to take me, yeah. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Justify your text. Means that the text aligns itself perfectly to the right and left margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Justify your text. Means that the text aligns itself perfectly to the right and left margins.

Ragged right FTW.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Interesting. Don't like the font or the use of caps.
    On page three I'm reading about black skies and snowy trees, yet I'm looking at an image of a Coach Depot. I'd be expecting to see trees and black skies, not a city building. You also mention deserted streets with no cars - all I can see is cars!

I like your idea but I think you should tweek your flyer to reflect the images.

My tuppence worth!:)

Interesting. Don't like the font or the use of caps.
    On page three I'm reading about black skies and snowy trees, yet I'm looking at an image of a Coach Depot. I'd be expecting to see trees and black skies, not a city building. You also mention deserted streets with no cars - all I can see is cars!

I like your idea but I think you should tweek your flyer to reflect the images.

My tuppence worth!:)

Excellent points, sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Pg. 4: "INFRAFRED PHOTOGRAPHY"

I'd go for regular capitalisation, too.

I like the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Yeah, as others said not mad on the capitalisation or the font.

I would have loved to see one of the "snow-covered wonderland" photos you mentioned too.

Kinda shock and horror, but I don't actually have any 'snow-covered wonderland' photos. I have replaced the image on the page in question with one that shows off the white grass and streaky sky. I'm actively beavering away on the document right now and once I have this last page finished I will put it together and upload it.

Breathe a sigh of relief, all. The font has been replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Check spellings, grammar & general wordsmithing.
    ie.

Page 2: Should ( I think) read 'Through THE unique viewpoint of a specially (2 'L's) modified camera....

Page 3: 'A lush forest grove transforms into a snow-covered wonderland' - you are skirting with hyperbole here! How about ' A forest grove is transformed into a snow-covered dreamscape'

Page 4: I would rewrite the second sentence.

So instead of
    'After moving to a professional camera body I expanded my experimentations... Arrgh on the double here. Who cares if you have a professional body (Camera or otherwise.... or, do you mean the IPPA (!)), also 'expanding the experimentations' has a ring of assonance that jars with me...

I would go for something like

' After an initial period of trial & error, I began to produce the images that I had envisioned - images that depict the familiar in a new and engaging way. '

'congregation of ghostly cars' - how about 'At clogged intersections, all that can be seen are the ghostly shadows of the traffic that has passed '

also I would describe your intentions a bit more crisply - Is it your intention to showcase the beauty of Galway and of Ireland? Since galway is a subset of Ireland , why 'Galway & Ireland', why not just 'Ireland? 'If all your pics are taken in Galway, then just state that you are showcasing Galway.

Finally - some of the above may be nitpicking, I hope some may be helpful , Overall I love the graphic B&W images - well done to you & good luck with it!

-FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

critique should be just honest , revenge is a dish served cold - I think opening image is a little dull in comparison to others , technically its fine - but I would move it further down not as my opening image

anyway best of luck with exhibition ,

thebaz wrote: »
    critique should be just honest , revenge is a dish served cold - I think opening image is a little dull in comparison to others , technically its fine - but I would move it further down not as my opening image

anyway best of luck with exhibition ,

Cheers Baz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Would love to give my comments...but I can't open it...

What PDF reader/version of said reader are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Where are you hoping to exhibit? Would be interested to go along...

This is aimed at the Galway Museum, but if it works out I plan to recycle this and apply to a few different places around here and there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

Creative writing forum --->

the first three/four paragraphs can be shortened to two: in the first paragraph say you're exploring galway thru an infrared lense/filter/eye or something, it's not really a modified camera, is it? (taking the same shots with a pinhole camera, now theres a challenge :p) and what the 720nm denotes.

In the second paragraph use the spectacular vistas/views of familiar places, the colour shifting and the blurring parts. Drop the 'long exposure' bit and probably the wavelength bit too........ you're selling your images, not the techniques you used, so use your prose as you've some potential there:

"People and cars are blurred into non-existence, busy streets become deserted and traffic jams turn into processions of ghost-like cars"

Combine that with your bit about the abyss and dreamscape and you've got em hooked.

Anyway my tuppence, i think less is more (and leaves more room for the images).....

Maybe I should have cross-linked over there. Thank you for that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

you're welcome, i've had to write a couple 'business proposals' (non photography related mind) lately and the ones with the money (exhibition space) aren't interested in the 'how its done' in the slightest :p

For your bio, i wouldn't mention that you got your first dslr in 2006, just that you've been doing infrared for 5 years and are an experienced photographer (see what i did there?) :D

Your closing paragraph should really sell it to them, 'my intent is..' wont sell, more something like:

An exhibition of the included images showcases the natural and architectural beauty of Galway and Ireland through the profound uniqueness of infrared photography.

Lastly if you can sum it up in one sentence, try and make a case, why they should do the exhibit..... it will add to their museum how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Fenster wrote: »
    What PDF reader/version of said reader are you using?
    Adobe Reader 9 - my machine was just rebuilt on Friday, so I'm still working out whats missing and whats still working...so it could just be me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

Fenster wrote: »
    Breathe a sigh of relief, all. The font has been replaced.

PEOPLE POWER !!!!! :D:D:D

Fantastic images. Keep us updated on the exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

crazydaize wrote: »
    PEOPLE POWER !!!!! :D:D:D

Fantastic images. Keep us updated on the exhibition.

+1 here, love the images, and would be interested in going to the exhibition.

Advertisement