Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim Sunday Market

Options
  • 28-02-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Well done to Trim chamber of commerce for organising the street market today.
    I know it was small, but it was great to see the main st. bustling on a Sunday afternoon.
    Please make it more regular, every weekend would be great, just like the brilliant Galway market. Invite more farmers to sell their wares directly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 treefour

Couldn’t agree more. Everything starts out small and builds, I think it has great potential. This was their second market and they have plans to hold more in the future. Plus the weather *should be* improving! Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I never knew this was on!

I would love to see this as a regular event. If you hear it's on again, please update on this forum.

Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

chewed wrote: »
    I never knew this was on!

Ditto!
    Was this a well kept secret or was I asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I didn't know it was on myself, just went down the town to drop a video back.

It was great to be able to walk down Main Street. A definite contender for pedestrianisation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Full marks for organising it. Zero marks for communication.

I was around town on Saturday and dont recall seeing any posters. None on the Dublin road out of town. Then, miraculously, on Sunday afternoon I saw 2 posters out near Knightsbrook. I drove in to see what it was like but they were clearing up.

I cannot imagine it having been a success if very few people knew about it. The days of relying on word of mouth for something like this are long since gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Would I be a fecker if I said I thought it was very disappointing? Kudos for organizing it and all, but for the second time it was held, there were very few stalls, and the car booty sale in Loman Street makes for much more interesting browsing.

And why were there diversion signs on Castle street at the Trim Castle Hotel saying to turn left up Finnegans way when there was still full access to the car park beside the courthouse?? Anyone who didnt know about it could easily just turn around at the roundabout outside the bakery and go back, and then perhaps even notice the market, as the diversion signs looked like construction ones.

There is huge potential alright, but there was very little to be bought on the day. At least I got a hefty fry up in the Silver Swan though. Nyom.

I would love to see a good proper market in Trim, but they just dont seem to catch on very well. How about Ireland biggest car boot sale/market in the porch field? That would bring people in from everywhere.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 18 TrimLad

I completely agree with Archeron, you have hit the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

when i got there it was fairly quiet. not many stalls, but i think it has great potential. we got the most amazing cupcakes from the bakery stall, hom nyom, pink icing to die for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I think there may be another market on this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Yes, saw some ads around for one next sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 treefour

Just confirming what has been mentioned above. The market will take place this Sunday from 11am till 5pm. The Trim Chamber of Commerce are holding the event as part of the Celtic Festival which kicks off this Saturday.

Thanks for the update Treefour

Market seems much bigger this week, more people browsing too.
    Would be great if this really took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CathalORourke

I'm hearing second-hand that there were some politics going on last night at the Chamber of Commerce meeting about the market that is planned for Easter Sunday, with much name-calling going on. Although I don't have the full details, it seems this market clashes with the balloon festival and the place is sure to be gridlocked. Looks to me like somebody made a rash decision!

Cathal.

Why don't they just set up the stalls in the Porchfield instead of Market St.? That way everyone's a winner!

I thought the market in the porchfield was planned as part of the Balloon festival anyway? There is a market areas highlighted on their event map.

Why don't they just set up the stalls in the Porchfield instead of Market St.? That way everyone's a winner!

That would be the clever and logical thing to do....but when was that ever a factor in politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

What I don't understand about the market is, if it is designed to attract people to town and enhance the local economy why are all the shops closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

Archeron wrote: »
    I thought the market in the porchfield was planned as part of the Balloon festival anyway? There is a market areas highlighted on their event map.

There is a market in the Porch Field. The concessions are being managed by VSC Events, who manage the likes of Oxegen, Galway Volvo Ocean Race, Electric Picnic etc. They are maintaining a suitable standard for all concessions at the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

One reason being that the Sunday market is just that...a one day street market. The concessions at the Balloon Fiesta are there for four days. It would not be appropriate to have the part-time stalls vacant for three of the four days. Other reasons might be that they don't meet the necessary standards, have the relevant licenses/insurance or wouldn't pay the entry fee (despite it being offered to local traders at 50% discount).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

It shoud be on every Friday, like it used to be. And re-open the sales! God that was a big loss to Trim. I have to agree with one of the prev posters though, there was feckall in it the last time, a few stands selling paintings and sweets. A bit mickey-mousey. It should be like Navan market, with food, fruit + veg, carpets, plants, handy tools, clothes, bikes, books, DVD's etc.

Just on a side note, did anyone notice people collecting for "Trim Arch club" recently? What the hell is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Trim could do worse than resurrect the old medieval fairs and markets of the town, about which there is an abundance of historical evidence.

(Trim is one of the few places in Ireland for which the medieval charter survives)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just on a side note, did anyone notice people collecting for "Trim Arch club" recently? What the hell is that?

See here:
    http://community.meath.ie/trimarchclub/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=73

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

The market concept is very good.

As the Chamber of commerce are the main movers in this event wouldnt it be logical to stage it on a normal business day. Saturday. That would be a win win. It would breathe life into the town centre again. Stall holders would gain and so would the shops and those employed in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

Consistency is usually what drives growth with this thing...It should be marketed as first Saturday every month to draw more and more people and more offerings.

I would love a proper outdoor market in Trim

The end of month car boot sale market on Loman street seems to be getting bigger every time its on. Combine that with a market like on Market street, have it weekly, and there's good potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Archeron wrote: »
    The end of month car boot sale market on Loman street seems to be getting bigger every time its on. Combine that with a market like on Market street, have it weekly, and there's good potential.

Here's what i would like to see:

The market should be a weekly event, like the Galway market it should be there every Sat and maybe Sun.
    Close the street on weekends.
    Let the local coffee shops, pubs, restaurants shops set up a few tables (serving no alcohol!) for a small fee to the chamber or town council. Maybe invite a few quality buskers in.
    Work with the Guards to keep the scumbags at bay.
    Hey presto, you have created a something like a plaza you would find in any Spanish or Italian village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

Poly wrote: »
    Work with the Guards to keep the scumbags at bay.

If it's several hours in the middle of a Saturday, I can't imagine you would have a huge issue with them.

The closed street is the best idea as right away it gives it a certain atmosphere.

I went on a stroll down the town today and surprise surprise, the market was on again. Luckily I had the camera so here's a few snaps.........

Bag ladies.
    FEE662CE094A461482BBB4E59F7BAF7E-500.jpg

Crepes
    B0DFB6341C15443FB4832119E6C3DD1A-500.jpg

Hats 'n' Tees
    FC8409FD9CC54D62A8D85B4978E578B5-500.jpg

Missing Jar
    C3D24CD9694C44A78E9CEDFD0577F90F-500.jpg

Soul Bakery
    5DAB44B2BEBC46BE962806692013D512-500.jpg

Spinning Pig (feckin' lovely baps)
    8E134F7A1FD944008CEFF2DC4E987CA1-500.jpg

Sweeties
    2DA673F878C74E45BD55AF6FFA44DA8C-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tiresmokindad

Poly wrote: »
    Well done to Trim chamber of commerce for organising the street market today.
    I know it was small, but it was great to see the main st. bustling on a Sunday afternoon.
    Please make it more regular, every weekend would be great, just like the brilliant Galway market. Invite more farmers to sell their wares directly.

I want to see the Trims in that Sunday Market. I will try to see all the trims there. :cool:

Advertisement