Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonoscopy on Friday

Options
  • 28-02-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, not looking for medical advice! Just opinion please!

I'm going in for a colonoscopy Friday. Need to do prep (picolax?) etc starting Thursday I think (need to read the instructions again!).

Will I be okay for work on Thursday??? Or do you need to be right beside a toilet all day??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

amdublin wrote: »
    Hi, not looking for medical advice! Just opinion please!

I'm going in for a colonoscopy Friday. Need to do prep (picolax?) etc starting Thursday I think (need to read the instructions again!).

Will I be okay for work on Thursday??? Or do you need to be right beside a toilet all day??

How the Picolax affects you- will depend on a number of factors, not least the health of your digestive tract. Personally I think it would be prudent to take the Thursday off- as its entirely possible that you may be running to the loo- it doesn't happen immediately after you take the Picolax- but its impossible to tell how quickly it will affect you. Last time I took Picolax- I was still suffering its affects two or three days later- which is something to keep in mind- it doesn't have a set efficacy- but how precisely it affects you- would be pure guess work.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks Shane.

Thinking about it now think I start it Wed night and I was hoping I'd wake up Thurs morning and that it might all sort it self out at that point :D .....but as you say impossible to predict.

Do you think the consultant woul give me a sick cert for Thurs & Fri? Might ring their secretary tomorrow to check.

Thanks again S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Do you think the consultant woul give me a sick cert for Thurs & Fri? Might ring their secretary tomorrow to check.

No harm in ringing to check.
    I normally take the time for these off as annual leave particularly if its a Friday or Monday). If you're employed in the civil service and take sick leave encompassing a weekend- the days of the weekend are also counted as absences from work- despite you not being on duty on the Saturday or Sunday. Its one way of discouraging folk from taking sick leave I suppose......

Btw- the hospitals often pawn you off on your GP for social welfare & sick certs. Its annoying as hell, so do ring and check out what the situation is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I took picolax for the same reason, had to be very close to the loo all the day, even though the bathroom is close here and I hadn't "fiddly" clothes, it was a close run thing every so often (sorry if TMI)

Dudes, thanks, not tmi atall - was just this info I was looking for.

Will ring the scecretary tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a sick cert otherwise it is annual leave I guess.

• Advertisement

Just took the first Picolax.

EEEEEEEEEEEuuuuuuuuuggggghhhh!!!!!

It's gross!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

hope you have a clear path to the loo!Best of luck on Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Just took the first Picolax.

EEEEEEEEEEEuuuuuuuuuggggghhhh!!!!!

It's gross!!!!!

Isn't it just revolting? Sort of like semen mixed with 7 up:D sorry......:D :D

dragona wrote: »
    Isn't it just revolting? Sort of like semen mixed with 7 up:D sorry......:D :D

Jebus!!!!!

Eh thanks for that, I still have two more batches to go tomorrow!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Picolax is a bit easier to swallow than that Fleet-Phospho clear out. Jeebus, even writing the name makes me shiver; I hate that stuff so much. A plus for having an illeostomy is not having to drink that it ever again.

Best of luck with the rest of the prep and with the scope itself, amdublin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement