Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Chorus\NTL Move

• 28-02-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of moving to NTL 30Mbps.

The area I live in has recently had the cable upgrade & I believe that I'm not far from the nearest NTL node.

I'm hearing though that NTL have started to roll out a single Modem\Router as opposed to the two box scenario & that the new setup is totally locked down with regard to configuration choices the end user has such as opening ports etc.

Can any existing users confirm or refute these comments & give their overall opinion of the NTL package over all the other landline providers?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I'm toying with the idea of moving to NTL 30Mbps.

The area I live in has recently had the cable upgrade & I believe that I'm not far from the nearest NTL node.

I'm hearing though that NTL have started to roll out a single Modem\Router as opposed to the two box scenario & that the new setup is totally locked down with regard to configuration choices the end user has such as opening ports etc.

Can any existing users confirm or refute these comments & give their overall opinion of the NTL package over all the other landline providers?

-

What area are you in?

What new all in one box-your not referring to that cisco one are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    What area are you in?

What new all in one box-your not referring to that cisco one are you?

I'm in Galway City (West) and yes I believe the new one is a Cisco.

What I meant by all in one is that the old setup had either a black Motorla or Atlantic Scientific Modem plus a white Netgear Router but I hear that is now replaced by one box a Cysco modem\router and that the box is not configurable by the end user because NTL have it locked down to stop customers messing with it & generating too many support calls?

I'm not suggesting that this is the case but it is what I've been hearing & need to know for certain before I make my move. NTL themselves are reluctant to tell me anything when I push the issue & I guess that's down to one of two things, the people I've spoken to there don't know what I'm talking about or they don't want to come right out and answer "Yes" to my query?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm in Galway City (West) and yes I believe the new one is a Cisco.

-

It's the Cisco box they are giving out now, whatever you do avoid this box like the plague...
    Insist on a Scientific Atlanta modem if are ordering a modem and then get your own broadband router for a few quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bealtine wrote: »
    It's the Cisco box they are giving out now, whatever you do avoid this box like the plague...
    Insist on a Scientific Atlanta modem if are ordering a modem and then get your own broadband router for a few quid

Can you elaborate on why to avoid the Cisco or is it for the reasons I mentioned earlier?

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Can you elaborate on why to avoid the Cisco or is it for the reasons I mentioned earlier?

-

Just search the forum for all the various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need to be specific on Models. Scientific Atlanta is Cisco's Cable Modem company. Basically you can't pick and choose. Add your own WiFi ethernet (not DSL) Router to whatever modem UPC supply.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You'll see a lot of negative feedback on the Cisco model here however I think people are inclined to post negative comments before positive ones.
    I have the Cisco and have it wireless to 3 PC's in the house without issue, strong signals and it never drops. Getting 14.6 on a 15 line, ports open for downloading and getting 1.2 megabits/sec. No phone issues either.
    I could be just lucky I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Just tell that you only need a modem and get your own router. UPC will give you a modem if you ask. It is easier to set up as far as they are concerned. The setup of the wireless routing will be up to you.

Advertisement