Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Students against UL RAG Week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Being from Dublin you mightn't be aware about the way pple talk down here. Lush is a local name for drink.

Rag week is a week where the UL (thats university of limerick) try to raise money for charity.

numbskull is a harmless enough phrase, but it seems to me that you need to get off your high horse and stop faking outrage when your the one who resorted to using an x-rated word.

Dont mean to be patronising but the way we speak down here is different phrasologies then you use in Dublin this may have been the reason you misinterpreted my post.

No hassle man, all opinions are welcome!

your a patronising man to be sure to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

PeakOutput wrote: »
    ye but this isnt exclusive for rag week its the same every week so whats the problem? you choose to go or not just like any other week just like everyone else in your class does. if losing the percentage to go out is worth it to you is up to you if its worth it to everyone else is there business your still not being forced to do anything

But then why should I have to sit there beside unhygienic people who are not going to be paying attention. Some of the boys in my year play football in the Astroturf once a week and although they don't have much time they have the decency to shower before coming back. All I would like is the same from those who decide to spill more drink on themselves than they actually ingest. I am generally the one who attends the lecture because of a genuine interest in learning so I don't see why I should have to suffer.

entropic wrote: »
    But then why should I have to sit there beside unhygienic people who are not going to be paying attention. Some of the boys in my year play football in the Astroturf once a week and although they don't have much time they have the decency to shower before coming back. All I would like is the same from those who decide to spill more drink on themselves than they actually ingest. I am generally the one who attends the lecture because of a genuine interest in learning so I don't see why I should have to suffer.

your really trying to blame rag week for peoples peronal hygene(sp?) really?

also if there is only one person in the class dont sit anywhere near them is it that difficult? if he has booze oozing out of his pours im sure he wont be the first to the front seat like a studious person such as yourself would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pholman

peakoutput and hes buddies from last year's su might want to explain why racism and sexism seem so aceptable around ul? i for one am sick of it, whos with me brothers? everyother week i pick up an focal and see certain quotes from writers that can only be described as fanning the flames of sexism/racism...and just bcoz people have had a feed of drinkkk (yes i know how i spelt it) does not give them the right to snigger at me when im with my white gf and hear them say " shes doing her bit for charity"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

pholman wrote: »
    YOU REFUSE TO BELIEVE....? oh well then it must not have happened, oh theres no way in hell that one of the su is a complete muppet...it seems to me your living in the dark ages..we should all be equals. and does it make it alright if the staff change every year?? god its small minded racist minority like you that tend to ruin things for more enlightened people

Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Being from Dublin you mightn't be aware about the way pple talk down here. Lush is a local name for drink.

Rag week is a week where the UL (thats university of limerick) try to raise money for charity.

Hello

I'm not from Dublin, I'm from Tipperary. I spent 4 years in UL studying. I'm aware that lush is another name for drink. I'm also aware of what Rag week is, given that I partook in 4 or 5 of them.
    numbskull is a harmless enough phrase, but it seems to me that you need to get off your high horse and stop faking outrage when your the one who resorted to using an x-rated word.

There's a section in the forum charter about personal abuse, calling someone a numbskull falls under this. I wasn't faking outrage, I wasn't even outraged to begin with.
    Dont mean to be patronising but the way we speak down here is different phrasologies then you use in Dublin this may have been the reason you misinterpreted my post.

No hassle man, all opinions are welcome!

No misinterpretation, see the above comments about me having studied in UL.

peakoutput and hes buddies from last year's su might want to explain why racism and sexism seem so aceptable around ul? i for one am sick of it, whos with me brothers?

can a mod please confirm that pholman and streetsweeper arent the same person
    everyother week i pick up an focal and see certain quotes from writers that can only be described as fanning the flames of sexism/racism

a few examples please because i for one think your talking ****
    and just bcoz people have had a feed of drinkkk (yes i know how i spelt it) does not give them the right to snigger at me when im with my white gf and hear them say " shes doing her bit for charity"

who said it was acceptable? you are just blindly ignoring everyone elses posts

am i ya???? i think your blinded alrite.......but by something very sinister...and i didnt realise sarcasm was disallowed by boards.ie. the moderator is free to check what he wants..at least streetsweeper has the moral courage to speak out...if you dont like what he or i have to say you dont have to post. but can i get a monitor to confirm your not the same person that dismisses racist comments as a bit of a "slag"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

your really trying to blame rag week for peoples peronal hygene(sp?) really?

also if there is only one person in the class dont sit anywhere near them is it that difficult? if he has booze oozing out of his pours im sure he wont be the first to the front seat like a studious person such as yourself would be

Yes I am, every year it is unbearable the smell coming from hungover students, generally it isn't bad but during rag week it seems to be 10fold worse. No they wouldn't be in the front row near myself but that really is only academic when there is only 3 rows of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thats the gardais jobs though any student doing anything like you described should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, no1 is arguing otherwise.
    And its everyones job as citizens to report it, and the Univeristies job to uphold its good name, and the Students Union's job to look out for the best interests of its students. If a small minority are sullying their good name, then action should be taken.
    What harm would having some foot patrol security in the main estates do? They wouldnt have to get directly involved, just act as witnesses, take photos, contact gardaí, warn students about the consequences, help identify where the trouble comes from. It would be welcomed by the residents groups, and make serious steps forward for the Union in raising their good profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 streetsweeper

rmacm wrote: »
    Hello

I'm not from Dublin, I'm from Tipperary. I spent 4 years in UL studying. I'm aware that lush is another name for drink. I'm also aware of what Rag week is, given that I partook in 4 or 5 of them.

There's a section in the forum charter about personal abuse, calling someone a numbskull falls under this. I wasn't faking outrage, I wasn't even outraged to begin with.

No misinterpretation, see the above comments about me having studied in UL.

sorry man. im here for a lively debate and not to personally attack the character of any blogger

here here zuroph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 streetsweeper

can a mod please confirm that pholman and streetsweeper arent the same person

a few examples please because i for one think your talking ****

who said it was acceptable? you are just blindly ignoring everyone elses posts

I can confirm that.

Just because theres a person with a view point that differs to your own you acuse me of identity theft?

am i ya???? i think your blinded alrite

yes you are, no1 has said racism is acceptable quite the opposite in fact but you rattle on as if we are racially attacking you ourselves
    if you dont like what he or i have to say you dont have to post.

why should i let you spout lies and half truths(more aimed at streetsweeper than you. of course i could ignore the thread or i could say exactly what i feel just like you are and tough **** if its different to what you feel
    but can i get a monitor to confirm your not the same person that dismisses racist comments as a bit of a "slag"

you sure can. and just confirm as you might as well say it straight out are you calling me racist?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Sigh

Polman and streetsweeper banned for blatant trolling and name calling/personal abuse

This comes up every year and it's always the minority of people causes the problem during Charity Week. Its nothing new.

zuroph wrote: »
    And its everyones job as citizens to report it, and the Univeristies job to uphold its good name, and the Students Union's job to look out for the best interests of its students. If a small minority are sullying their good name, then action should be taken.
    What harm would having some foot patrol security in the main estates do? They wouldnt have to get directly involved, just act as witnesses, take photos, contact gardaí, warn students about the consequences, help identify where the trouble comes from. It would be welcomed by the residents groups, and make serious steps forward for the Union in raising their good profile.

no harm at all if its legal sounds like a good idea in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Not many people have the moral courage to stand up and speak about what they think is right. But I refuse to be bullied into following the ‘stat quo’

And yet you hide behind a username on an internet forum? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spume

Listen, I think everyone here can agree that charity week is an excellent idea in principle. We can also all agree that every population has **** in it, be it student or otherwise. It’s just that (in my opinion) being a wanker can attract praise and “good man yerself” type sentiments that aren’t seen in other groups. Students often just stand idly by when they encounter behaviour they disagree with. A silent majority, if you will. It’s a pity streetsweeper was banned. He made some valid points (just with a bit too much gusto I suppose).

I won’t be in the silent majority any longer though. I’m sure some of you have probably seen the “Let’s sh*t in every sink in UL for rag week” page on Facebook. I’ve just reported it to the ITD and Facebook. Hopefully we can see some action taken.

I cant wait for Rum and Gin week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

zuroph wrote: »
    And what's to say we haven't been planning that since we met with other Unions in Maynooth last October and again in Cork in December;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

nothing, but whats to say ye have? I mean, the residents associations have already been in the papers expressing concern, and earlier in this thread, the union were at pains to distance themselves from the estates. If ye ARE planning to do this, fair play, but christ milk it for your own benefit, sing it from the tree tops, tell everyone, and boast boast boast!

Best of luck anyway.

Zandali wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me that Rag week isnt as bad as streetsweeper said?

its not as bad as streetsweeper said
    Can anyone guarentee my saftey during this week?

you can guarantee your own safety by being an adult during the week
    I was a victim of a sex crime a few years ago (dont want to specify) and Im worried that this will happen again during rag week?

obviously i have no stats and can understand you being scared as it has happened before but i would be fairly confident in saying you are at no more risk of this during rag week as you are any other week assuming you dont put yourself in any riskier positions

do what you noramlly do to keep yourself safe and you will be fine

the reason he was banned was certainly not for having a different opinion

what happened to streetsweeper??

how do i make sure you dont give me the boot?

Am I entitled to voice my opinion or do I have to go along with everyone on the forums? please expain (soz Im stupid lol!!)

ask the mod that banned him

do you want to talk about streetsweeper or about rag week?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

When I was in his first year in college and part-took wholeheartedly in the RAG week mantra that was “shoved down my throat” by his first year housemates. Had to go on medication for two weeks after I got internal bleeding in my liver so the next time you think DRAB Week is gonna be a laugh, think of me and the harm it has done to my self esteem.

Seriously, who drinks such an amount of alcohol that their liver bleeds and they need medication. It's incredibly stupid and people like this that end up joining the statistics of RAG week alcohol related injuries giving the rest a bad name.

Oh soz lol!! rag week of course?

what aspect of rag week worries you the most???

rag week dosnt worry me
    the violence, the excessive drinking, the racism/sexism, rude students, attacks on elderly locals( read it in the newspaper!) ????

have you a link to stories about sexism racism andin particular attacks on elderly locals? i havnt heard of any attacks, not saying they havnt happened but a link so i can update myself would be nice

Hello streetsweeper & pholman you'll be gone soon enough.

rmacm wrote: »
    Hello streetsweeper & pholman you'll be gone soon enough.

you gotta pretend man humour them until the ban stick comes again

you gotta pretend man humour them until the ban stick comes again

As fun and all as it is they're acting the ginnit at this stage.

ye your right i guess i hadnt seen the other thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've stayed out of this because I thought it was a piss take looking for a rise and tbh, I still think that and I'm glad I've steered clear. I will say though; what those who defended rag week have said is bang on.

Advertisement