Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you pay for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

€ 1500 max, but only if it has power steering. They are nice cars, but some of them don't haver power steering, and I would simply not buy a car that has no p/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The front bumper needs some attention on the lower driver's side.

Very basic and simple run around and highly overpriced. 10 years old. €1200 would be a realistic offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

hmm full 2 years nct. Would be bothered about power steering. 1700-1800 meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

1.0 is not enough power, I would avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

Having NCT does not mean your not going to have to spend any money it, It is Over Priced, i personally would not pay more than €1200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Cosmo K wrote: »
    € 1500 max, but only if it has power steering. They are nice cars, but some of them don't haver power steering, and I would simply not buy a car that has no p/s.

Thanks, that is exactly my budget. I too want P/S.
    Berty wrote: »
    The front bumper needs some attention on the lower driver's side.

Very basic and simple run around and highly overpriced. 10 years old. €1200 would be a realistic offer.

Bumper wouldn't bother me (I'd probably add a matching one :o)

There seems to be a big jump in price between 97/98 and 00/01. I think I'll be lucky to get a 00 for my money.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    hmm full 2 years nct. Would be bothered about power steering. 1700-1800 meself.

Its the NCT I like with this. I don't have P/S now - great for the arms :p - but I would like it.
    1.0 is not enough power, I would avoid

For what I need 1l is fine, I just need a runaround really.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Might go in with an offer of 1200. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP I just sold my black 2000 1.4 Golf last night for 2k cash. Was in great nick, and 120,000 miles on it. 1200-1300 for that is very reasonable I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I know where there is a black one with p/s and full test for 1200 and in better nick too. Great little cars there is still so many of them on the road.

Fizman, it's listed at €2,300, would be lucky to get it for the €1,500 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I had mine listed at 2,450. Don't take too much notice of that mind, there are too many dreamers out there over pricing their cars to a ridiculous extent. Now bare in mind I'm only giving you my opinion, but I don't think that is worth close to what they are asking. I might pay 1400 at a stretch.
    Have a look at it if it's nearby and you'll see its condition, then give them your max offer and let them sleep on it.

• Advertisement

malcox wrote: »
    I know where there is a black one with p/s and full test for 1200 and in better nick too. Great little cars there is still so many of them on the road.

I'm looking for something in the North West?
    Fizman wrote: »
    I had mine listed at 2,450. Don't take too much notice of that mind, there are too many dreamers out there over pricing their cars to a ridiculous extent. Now bare in mind I'm only giving you my opinion, but I don't think that is worth close to what they are asking. I might pay 1400 at a stretch.
    Have a look at it if it's nearby and you'll see its condition, then give them your max offer and let them sleep on it.

Thanks Fizman. I have a friend who knows cars who will come with me to see it. I'll see if he could come with me to see it tomorrow.

I hate not knowing stuff!

There seems to be a big jump in price between 97/98 and 00/01. I think I'll be lucky to get a 00 for my money.
    There was a facelift in 2000 - the car you linked is pre-facelift.
    For what I need 1l is fine, I just need a runaround really.
    You said you live in the North West? I assume that means you won't be doing much city driving, which it can just about cope with - the Polo is too heavy for that 50 bhp engine, and too overpriced for a poverty spec example like that thanks to VW badge snobbery.

Pretty much all the competition from around then will offer more power and better spec for a similar or better price, e.g. Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, Seat Ibiza (1.2 or 1.4, 1.0 is same yoke in Polo), Skoda Fabia, Renault Clio, Nissan Micra, Fiat Punto, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

That Polo surely isnt worth 1,500

Thanks for the tips.

I give up. It's such a flippin' minefield.

Anyone fancy getting me a car and just delivering it to me? I make great tea. And cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The pre facelifted Polo only had P/S as standard on the 1.4 litre. All the facelifted models had P/S as standard afaik. That silver car is very tired looking and way overpriced, 2 years NCT or not imo.

Here is one that is a year younger, better condition and has lower mileage:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196915090

Still a bit pricy imo so I would go in with an offer of €2250.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The pre facelifted Polo only had P/S as standard on the 1.4 litre. All the facelifted models had P/S as standard afaik. That silver car is very tired looking and way overpriced, 2 years NCT or not imo.

Here is one that is a year younger, better condition and has lower mileage:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196915090

Still a bit pricy imo so I would go in with an offer of €2250.

My budget is 1500, so not a hope with that I'm afraid. But thanks for the tech info - I think I get it.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tequila

Sligo car dealers live in la-la-land when it comes to prices, there are no bargains here.

I would suggest buying elsewhere or at least not off Sligo carzone ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

:eek:
    2300e???

max wud be 1500e i smell a rip off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

peasant wrote: »
    Tequila

Sligo car dealers live in la-la-land when it comes to prices, there are no bargains here.

I would suggest buying elsewhere or at least not off Sligo carzone ads.

I'm considering throwing in the towel and giving the ex the money to get me a car in Limerick. For shame. :o

I like that, but... how do I get it checked, and how do I get it to Sligo? I'm on a Learner Permit so I can't do it. This is why I need to buy locally.

• Advertisement

Here is one but I still think it is overpriced for the mileage:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200916192481764

Does seem a bit much doesn't it?

I rang the same dealers about this car, asked would he be interested in 1500 and my 97 corsa. He laughed. :(
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200942195488362

That's a Ghia so should be pretty high spec - fog lights (the driver's side one looks broken though), aircon, ABS, maybe heated windscreen, rear headrests, etc. Fake wood dash looks a bit naff though (not sure if they all have this). I'm sure you could get a better deal on that one considering the mileage (and the missing badge!).

Make sure it's a 1.25 and not a 1.3 (carzone rounds it up), they are much better engines.

Also with Fiestas, make sure the heater control works and the rear windscreen wiper and demister work properly (if you look in TestTransmission's link, the rear wiper is stuck in the middle) - both are easy fixes but annoying nonetheless.

All Fiesta Ghias of that model were 1.25 litre afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I'm considering throwing in the towel and giving the ex the money to get me a car in Limerick. For shame. :o

I think you should go with this option assuming he knows what to look for, as I think your going to get ripped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'd offer 750.

He won't take less than €2200. Business must be good!

The search goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

have a look on donedeal.ie, you will prob get a beter deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭2010 G

€ 600 no more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 00_ghost_27

have a look on donedeal.ie, you will prob get a beter deal

x2

Here's one for €1800, i'd say its long gone, but worth a try maybe

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1162792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

That one for 1200 is on the market now btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Nice looking car, and the Ghia's are lovely. Definitely make sure it's the 1.25 engine though. I think the OP should buy a 00 1.4 Focus hatchback though, for around €1500. It's easily the best car available for this sort of money and there's plenty to choose from. That's if the OP doesn't think it too big and isn't limiting her choice to a supermini, that is..

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Nice looking car, and the Ghia's are lovely. Definitely make sure it's the 1.25 engine though. I think the OP should buy a 00 1.4 Focus hatchback though, for around €1500. It's easily the best car available for this sort of money and there's plenty to choose from. That's if the OP doesn't think it too big and isn't limiting her choice to a supermini, that is..

Thanks, I've been looking for a Focus but there doesn't seem to be anything around.

I think I have a car sorted now though. I'm not telling you lot what it is though because you'll put me off again! :D The bloke who recommended a Focus is a neighbour, he knows how nervous I am because of the crash, and knows what (and how) I drive now, *and he has found me this new car*. He is also in the business so I don't feel as vulnerable. Fingers crossed eh? And touch wood etc etc.

Thanks so much for all the help. :)

Advertisement