Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fort mc murray canada

Options
  • 28-02-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

can anybody give me any info on work in the oil sands, im electrician looking to work there, headn in april, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You might have more luck asking on the Canada forum on BritishExpats. I saw a few threads on Fort McMurray there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Great pay, long hours, lots of hard dangerous work, no social life from what I've heard, alot of people from Vancouver work there for a few weeks at a time and then come home for a week, I know an old guy who was doing four weeks on one week off but gave it up recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

You'll have to do your Canadian conversion and get your tickets required for the work in the area. Its one of the most expensive towns in Canada to live in because there is so much money there. Was there in 2006, you could get a job in Burger King or Tim Hortons paying about $24 an hour. But you would most likely have to live in a house with 8 other people to afford living there.

There are a few bars, strip clubs, and some restaurants (Earls, Moxies, etc). Its an oil town. Lots of men, making as much money as they can with the hopes to get out in years with fortunes in their pockets, if they dont spend it all on drugs, toys and rub and tugs.

It's also one of the most environmentally hazardous towns to live in. Nothing like when the winds are blowing from the North and you walk outside downtown to that sweet smell of sulphur in the air.

Work had declined somewhat in the last 2 years, but I think its gonna start picking up again, especially since oil prices are starting to climb nicely again.

The ideal situation would be to get your Canadian tickets, get a job with a company that will put you to work and living in a camp. Food and accommodations provided, and usually are pretty good, then you go live in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, etc. on your time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tevion1

Bringing this thread back from the dead, Im looking at going over soon, dont mind puttin the head down for a while doing that kind of work. How long would it take to get all tickets and conversion sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from defunct US/ Canada Travel forum to newly created Canada forum ***

• Advertisement
Advertisement