Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's not "do you believe in evolution"

• 28-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

It's "do you have the intellectual honesty to accept it, despite the cognitive dissonance it may cause you".

Funny how the primates that deny evolution are also the ones who'd prefer that it wasn't true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Whether it is believed or not, it is our only self-driven vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Garreth

It's not "do you believe in evolution"

It's "do you believe in the theory of evolution"

I did it for the lulz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Its "Do you reject scientific theories on the basis that they conflict with your chosen interpretation of your chosen religion"

If the person doesn't do that its all good. I've no problem with someone who says they don't accept evolution and can give me a scientific reason. It is when they say that their sky god told them it isn't true, thats when I get dismissive of them.

creationists_gag_from_family_guy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

'Do you accept the theory of evolution as being accurate?'

Sounds better to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"which is more likely, we evolved over millions of years through natural stages or that an incompetent deity conjoured us out of thin air and stood back chuckling to himself while became obsessed with proving whether he existed in the first place?"

sounds better again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've never encountered anyone who didn't think evolution was corret who didn't have a religious motivation about it. Says a lot really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    I've never encountered anyone who didn't think evolution was corret who didn't have a religious motivation about it. Says a lot really.

The theory of evolution gave us Jurassic Park, end of argument right there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

'Do you accept the theory of evolution as being accurate?'

Sounds better to me...

It's sometimes best to avoid "theory" because they latch onto it, misunderstanding what a theory means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Evolution is a religion, ffs! Anyone who suggest otherwise deserves to be shot.

Now say your penance of ten Darwins.
    Our Darwin, Who art a genius
    Hallowed be Thy Mind;
    Thy evolution come,
    Thy will be done,
    In fact as it is in theory.
    Give us today a transition fossil,
    And forgive us our mutation,
    As we survive those who try to kill us;
    And lead our lot into natural selection,
    But deliver us from creationism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Galvasean wrote: »

I was amused to hear recently that the Islamic world rejects evolution on the basis that Darwin was a Christian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I was amused to hear recently that the Islamic world rejects evolution on the basis that Darwin was a Christian.

Wow. Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Undergod wrote: »
    Wow. Link?

It was in the middle of a long lecture by a Christian biologist whose name escapes me. I think it may have been posted in the BCP thread.

Edit: Ah, it was Ken Miller. Sam Vimes posted the video here, and this is it:

(The mention of Islamic creationism, like I said, is way in, during the Q&A near the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Would it be true to say that alot of people are getting creation and evolution mixed up in this arguement? Also if you don't believe in evolution then the only alternative is that very living thing was placed on earth at the time of its existence in its form at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Surely the evolution of dog's can be used to explain evolution simply to idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

(The mention of Islamic creationism, like I said, is way in, during the Q&A near the end.

1:18:00 onwards.

Great vid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Surely the evolution of dog's can be used to explain evolution simply to idiots.

Unfortunately not. Their new thing is the idea of "kinds", so dogs can evolve into different kinds of dogs but a dog can never become a "non-dog". They never quite define what the word kind means or what would constitute evolution from one kind to another. I think they want to be shown a dog giving birth to a cat as proof of evolution even though that would instantly disprove it

And of course it's only when they're presented with an example like different species of dog that they say they accept that random mutation and selection can produce thousands of different of varieties of fully functional dogs all of whom have unique characteristics. At all other times they talk about evolution as if it's the craziest idea ever thought up and that it's a religion etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

krudler wrote: »
    The theory of evolution gave us Jurassic Park, end of argument right there :D

Then it follows that the theory of evolution was responsible for Jurassic Park 2 and 3.

2-1 to religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

fontanalis wrote: »
    if you don't believe in evolution then the only alternative is that very living thing was placed on earth at the time of its existence in its form at the time.

I propose a new theory. New types of animals randomly fell from the sky at various intervals in the Earth's history. Prominant times of 'random faunal population' include the Cambrian, Jurassic and Eocene.
    Kepti wrote: »
    Then it follows that the theory of evolution was responsible for Jurassic Park 2 and 3.

2-1 to religion.

Jurassic Park 2 was fairly good. However JP3 was the equivalent of 6 bad films. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

1:18:00 onwards.

Great vid.

Time shift
    Courtesy of Malty.:)

Advertisement