Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butcher on east side of city?

Options
  • 28-02-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows of any butcher on the east side of the city - specifically Mervue/Roscam/Doughiska area...since the butcher up in Mervue closed a few months ago after a fire, have been stuck using Tormey's in the Tesco shopping centre. After what I can only describe as dreadful customer service on Saturday, I'm determined to find somewhere else!

Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Ta,
    Lampsie
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good one next to Tesco Express on Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

gallaghers (i think) butchers in renmore. beside the credit union.

recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Mc Greal's shop, Ballybrit (Old Monivea Road),
    Dunnes Store, Briarhill.

Not so much a recommendation,
    but try both and see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cled

+1 for McGreals. Its on the road at the back of Windsor Motors, kinda opposite Bethlehem restaurant. Lovely butcher, think he closes up at 6. And cheaper than the one in the Tesco shopping centre. There is also a lovely one opposite the Menlo Park Hotel, in beside the chinese. O'Connors I think it is and he does have great special offers. He is a craft butcher and always very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'll second Gallagher's in Renmore. Four free range chickens for twenty bucks? Delerious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Thanks for the tips all :) Reckon I'll give Renmore a go as its the nearest, and go from there..

Thanks again,
    lampsie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Try Heaney's in Castlelawn Heights: http://tinyurl.com/yff896n

Always found them friendly, with good prices and quality

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

jkforde wrote: »
    Try Heaney's in Castlelawn Heights: http://tinyurl.com/yff896n

Always found them friendly, with good prices and quality

Me too, started goin there about 6 or 7 months ago after tryin a good few other butchers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

+1 for McGreals too.
    Its on my way home from work, they have weekly specials at the butcher counter, their meat is fab, always lovely and tender. To be honest, I have found them so good, I dont get my meat anywhere else.

(if memory serves me well the latest weekend special is 25 euro special)
    2lb JOINT BEEF
    2lb JOINT BACON
    MEDIUM CHICKEN
    4 CHICKEN FILLETS
    1 lb SAUSAGES
    1 lb RASHERS
    or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Keep away from Gallaghers, I'm from Renmore all of my life. If you go in to buy something thats NOT on special offer. The Majority of the time he doesn't even weigh the items, he just calls out some over-inflated price. I've stopped going after being charged €5 for 8 sausages years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 iusetaluver

Theres a new butcher after taking over at the meat counter in The Trading Post, Headford. I drove out there last weekend on a friends recommendation!!. He kills his own beef from his farm, great quality and fantastic value for money, well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I can't recommend Tony Gallaghers in Renmore highly enough, great quality meat with full traceability,helpful advice on cooking, and great service, one of the best butchers in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martin70

I've been living in Renmore myself for the last 24 years and Tony is in business also for the last 24 years.Fabulous meat,very friendly and clean as a whistle and would charge you €2 for 8 sausages not €5 as previously stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

Mc Greals was good but has been closed the last few weeks. Dont know if its for good though. Finnertys in eyre sq centre is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mervue butcher re-opened by the way

Advertisement