Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio tips

• 28-02-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Ok so here's the craic!

I'm thinking of starting a radio programme in uni. I've never worked on radio before, but it's something I think I'd like to do. I'd be thinking of either an early morning show or a lunch-time show. Something fun, I'd think of Ray Foley, Colm and Jim Jim, and Chris Moyles as my influences.

Basically I'm looking for some tips people might have, or something that might be good to put in the show.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Chrussell2 wrote: »
    O Something fun, I'd think of Ray Foley, Colm and Jim Jim, and Chris Moyles as my influences.

With the exception of Moyles, they're not funny or entertaining.

What about this for a radical idea: Play really good music and interject only to introduce the next track or maybe a bit of info about the band.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Ok so here's the craic!

I'm thinking of starting a radio programme in uni. I've never worked on radio before, but it's something I think I'd like to do. I'd be thinking of either an early morning show or a lunch-time show. Something fun, I'd think of Ray Foley, Colm and Jim Jim, and Chris Moyles as my influences.

Basically I'm looking for some tips people might have, or something that might be good to put in the show.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give!

Does your Uni have a College radio station and what is its name! I work voluntarily with Athlone Community Radio! Bring someone on with you that has some personality too, it helps when you have someone to bounce off of!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Does your Uni have a College radio station and what is its name! I work voluntarily with Athlone Community Radio! Bring someone on with you that has some personality too, it helps when you have someone to bounce off of!

Its called Air3 Radio. I'm in Uni in Stirling university in Scotland, but I'm from Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

What about text requests..? Sim cards are cheap to buy, get a numbe to get people texting in. What kind of a show is it anyway:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

RachPie wrote: »
    What about text requests..? Sim cards are cheap to buy, get a numbe to get people texting in. What kind of a show is it anyway:)

The station should have that already, most phones come with the capability to be hooked up to a pc so he can use his own phone if he wants!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Haha, sorry for seeming a bit archaic :P

I know archaic and slightly backward :) My station uses a Nokia 3310 as a tax machine!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I'm no DJ but what I love is when a presenter actually manages to hit the vocals with just a split second to spare. Every Moyles golden hour demonstrates this at its best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

RachPie wrote: »

The text in idea is pretty good. You could load up the Nokia PC suite on the computer so that you could access them quickly, like a proper system. The software would display the texts in a nice list for you.

Why dont you listen through their shows, just emulate the sections that you like? No point in reinventing the wheel..

The text in idea is pretty good. You could load up the Nokia PC suite on the computer so that you could access them quickly, like a proper system. The software would display the texts in a nice list for you.

Why dont you listen through their shows, just emulate the sections that you like? No point in reinventing the wheel..

Yeah I think I will, I think we'll just try and do something thats fun and quirky

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I will, I think we'll just try and do something thats fun and quirky

Take down the podcasts, and then go through them with your pen and pad... or with your windows notepad if your technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Buddy, I do the kinda show that's influenced by Moyles, Foley, C & JJ, KC, American zoo radio and my best advice is:
    Be yourself.....
    If you've nothing to say, play music. Don't talk for the sake of talking......
    Practice your DJing when you're at home, be it talking to yourself or listening to your ipod trying to hit the vocal...........
    Be slick................
    Listen to your fav djs and try and learn from their style...........
    Get someone with the same ideas and passion for radio as you to go on air with you.........

I'm sure there's more that people can throw in.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. We had our first production meeting today. We ran through a few ideas and listened to a couple of shows on the radio already. From what we can gather our current radio dj's are focused completely on the music and there is very little chat and banter.

So we're going to go with a 3 person panel, with myself leading the chat. I've got two others with me a guy from england and our token scottish person, a girl who is local. We're hopefully going to take up the 9-11 slot on a friday morning, it's going to be a light hearted entertainment show, with music but not completely music orientated.

We're going to do some pre-recorded interviews with local celebrities such as "Tambo" (Thomas), who is from Stirling and appeared on take me out, on itv. He didn't get a date, but you should check out his audition video on the takemeout page, you'll get a laugh!

The station is called Air3, if you want to check it out go to www.air3radio.com and i'll keep you guys updated with how we're progressing!

Thanks again!

Hey guys just wanted to give you all an update, we had our first show this morning and I don't think it could have gone any better! We had Roy Walker from Catchphrase on the telephone, it was absolutely brilliant!!

Hey guys just wanted to give you all an update, we had our first show this morning and I don't think it could have gone any better! We had Roy Walker from Catchphrase on the telephone, it was absolutely brilliant!!

great, he seems like a nice guy. Did you ask him about this.

Nah every interview I could find of him on youtube involved that clip, we asked him was he ever asked to play James Bond and also was he approached to play a robotic villain on Doctor Who before Anne Robinson was! He was great, think he thought it was going to be a serious interview for abit until I came out with these babies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Can you put the show up on the web for us to have a listen?

The show is on the web, you can access it at air3radio.com and just hit listen live. We're on 9-11 every friday, the Snoozebutton. You can download a podcast I think on the website, the next one will have our interview with Roy Walker, I think it'll be up next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Get a Gnome

Advertisement